Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeHines comments on offensive leadership Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Hines comments on offensive leadership

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Hines comments on offensive leadership Empty
PostSubject: Hines comments on offensive leadership   Hines comments on offensive leadership EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Ten days ago, the former Pittsburgh receiver Hines Ward, who is now an analyst for NBC’s “Football Night in America,” wondered about the Steelers’ leadership on the offense and who might guide the team through a tough stretch. And that was before the Steelers dropped their home game Sunday, in the return of Ben Roethlisberger from rib and shoulder injuries, to the San Diego Chargers, a team with no chance to make the playoffs and one that, The San Diego Union Tribune reported last week, is preparing to fire its coach and its general manager.

The Steelers were flat and never led, undercutting the progress they seemed to have made last week when they beat the Ravens in Baltimore with Charlie Batch at quarterback.

Ward had predicted this would be a tough game for the Steelers to win, but what he said about the makeup of the team may be more telling as the season nears its end. At 7-6, the Steelers remain in the playoff mix because of Sunday losses by the Cincinnati Bengals and the Ravens, but four of Pittsburgh’s losses have been to A.F.C. bottom feeders, raising questions about its focus and consistency.

More bad news for the Steelers: they play at Dallas on Sunday. Dallas came back to beat the Bengals on the last play last Sunday, a day after a traffic accident that left one Cowboys player dead and another charged with intoxication manslaughter. The Cowboys are just one game behind the Giants in the N.F.C. East race.

“The year we won a Super Bowl, we had to win the last four games to make the playoffs, and then we went in as one of the hottest teams,” Ward said in an interview. “They have a lot of guys on the defensive side that experienced that. I don’t think many on the offense — other than Heath Miller and Ben — have. You would think Ben would be the natural leader, but he’s been injured. Who else is in the huddle that if something goes bad, who is the calm before the storm? That plays a major factor.

“I look at the defensive side, they have a nice mix of young and veteran guys. You look at the offensive side of the ball, I don’t see the cohesiveness of the group. When I was there, Kordell Stewart, Jerome Bettis, those were the guys in the huddle. Then it was myself, Alan Faneca — we had a nice nucleus of guys in there who guys could lean on, don’t hit the panic button. I don’t see that balance like I see on the defensive side.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/sports/football/defining-games-coming-for-floundering-teams.html?ref=sports&_r=0

To be honest, I don't think we have it on the defensive side either

Hines comments on offensive leadership We_bel10
Back to top Go down
CapLovesTroyP43

CapLovesTroyP43

Hines comments on offensive leadership Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hines comments on offensive leadership   Hines comments on offensive leadership EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Really missing Hines and Potsie right about now.... Hines comments on offensive leadership 2164293255

"WE WILL NOT GO GENTLY. WE WILL UNLEASH HELL" MIKE TOMLIN

Hines comments on offensive leadership 2480670802 Hines comments on offensive leadership 2287965686 Hines comments on offensive leadership 1948569602

FREEDOM...NOT COMMUNISM!!!! :old glory: :old glory: :old glory:

"AND OUR QB WEARS THE NUMBER SEVEN" RICH BANKS

CAP'S FAVORITE ICON... Hines comments on offensive leadership 1645253483 Hines comments on offensive leadership 1645253483 Hines comments on offensive leadership 1645253483
Back to top Go down

Hines comments on offensive leadership
Page 1 of 1