Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeAttitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing

Go down 
+2
solardave
stlrtruck
6 posters
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing Empty
PostSubject: Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing   Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 3:37 pm

So I was watching the replay of the 2005 Steelers season. You remember the one where they had to win the last 4 games to get in to the playoffs, then made the 3 road trip games en route to Detroit where they beat the Seahawks.

Ok, now that we're all on the same page, let's revisit what was truly the heart and soul of the team. More to the point, WHO!

You can talk about the emotion of Jerome Bettis, the rawness of Roehtlisberger, the energy of Troy Polamalu, as well as hundreds of other variables, but in my opinion what our team is missing most of all these days is what Joey Porter brought to the table. His emotion, attitude, aggravating personality (to the opposing team), and his get it done leadership is truly what we are missing on the field. It was apparent the last few years, and it's even more so this year. Throughout the entire roster, I don't see that type of person on the roster.

If you look at the seasons when our Steelers were dominant they had that emotional spark:
In the 70's it was Lambert
In the 80's we didn't have it
In the 90's we had Lloyd and Greene
In the early 2000's we had Porter and Harrison
Since 2011 we haven't had that leader...it's time we get it back

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing   Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 5:40 am

Porter is working with Jones and Worilds now so maybe one (or both) of them will channel that energy. My problem with Porter was sometimes I felt like he crossed the line to where it was counter productive.

I welcome the energy and fire as long as it produces wins.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing   Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 11:27 am

Don't forget Farrior! He was quite the leader. Maybe not as outspoken as Porter, but effective nonetheless.

I have sat here and racked my brains as to who is Porter or Farrior-like that is presently on the team and came up blank.

I agree Truck. We need that spark to light the fire.

Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing   Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 12:55 pm

We've talked about lack of leadership on this team, especially the defense, for a few years now. Guys like Troy and Timmons lead by example, but sometimes you need a player like Lambert, Lloyd, or Porter to fire up everyone around him. For a while now, our defense has played without the emotion and fierceness that we're used to. Entering his second season and feeling more comfortable, hopefully Jarvis ends up being that guy. I don't see Worilds or Shazier filling the role.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing   Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
We've talked about lack of leadership on this team, especially the defense, for a few years now. Guys like Troy and Timmons lead by example, but sometimes you need a player like Lambert, Lloyd, or Porter to fire up everyone around him. For a while now, our defense has played without the emotion and fierceness that we're used to. Entering his second season and feeling more comfortable, hopefully Jarvis ends up being that guy. I don't see Worilds or Shazier filling the role.

Hopefully having Porter back in the mix will influence an attitude.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing   Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Like Richard Sherman... (groan)... or Ray Lewis (groan groan).... they fired up their teams and that can help you win games more often than just pure skill. Not saying we need a guy to run his mouth like that, just someone that gets the troops fired up and all on the same page.

PostSubject: Re: Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing   Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing Empty

Back to top Go down

Attitude, Aggravation, and Leadership that's what we're missing
Page 1 of 1