Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRound 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones

Go down 
+2
Drizztbob
Wallace108
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones Empty
PostSubject: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones Ugajarvisjones

Jarvis drops into Steelers’ lap

Posted by Bob Labriola

For the second draft in a row, the Steelers had the guy they wanted fall right to them in the first round.

As GM Kevin Colbert had said on Monday, one of the thin areas of this draft were the 3-4 outside rushers, and when Dion Jordan, Ziggy Ansah, and Barkevious Mingo all were picked within the first six overall selections, the chances of the Steelers getting one seemed to be slim at best.

The things that helped Jarvis Jones fall to the Steelers were the Jets’ selection of DT Sheldon Richardson with the 13th overall selection, and then the Saints deciding upon S Kenny Vaccaro. The Jets are without an outside pass rusher for Rex Ryan’s defense, and the Saints were reported to be deciding between Vaccaro and Jones with the 15th overall selection, which was two slots ahead of the Steelers.

READ MORE: http://blog.steelers.com/2013/04/25/jarvis-drops-into-steelers-lap/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Love it. Harrison who?

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:53 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
Love it. Harrison who?
Jones certainly has big shoes to fill. But so did Harrison. I'm excited about the pick.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Quote :
Steelers were sweating Saints

Posted by Bob Labriola

After the Steelers had OLB Jarvis Jones fall to them at the 17th overall spot, GM Kevin Colbert told the media that Jones was one of the “6-8 special players” he had identified as being part of this particular pool of prospects. But as Tom Petty might say, the waiting is the hardest part.

After the Carolina Panthers, who run a 4-3 defense, selected DT Star Lotulelei, it was all going to come down to the New Orleans Saints, who had the 15th overall pick. That’s because Buffalo, at 16 overall, were expected to go for a quarterback there, especially once they traded down from eighth overall.

The buzz on the Internet was that the Saints would choose from Jones and Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro, and what worried the Steelers a bit was that at Vaccaro’s pro day, the Saints weren’t represented by either Sean Payton or defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Usually a team will send its significant coaches to the pro day of a guy it’s considering on the first round, and that’s why there were some sweaty palms in the Steelers’ draft room when the Saints were on the clock.

Once Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Vaccaro as the Saints’ pick, the Steelers felt very good about the prospects of getting their man — Jarvis Jones.

http://blog.steelers.com/2013/04/25/steelers-were-sweating-saints/

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:10 pm

Jarvis Jones' conference call:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/audio/Jarvis-Jones-Conference-Call/371d2683-21e9-44d7-abb7-4d165fd53db9?campaign=pit:fanshare:twitter

Back to top Go down
SteelHawk
Xtreme Newb
SteelHawk

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:34 pm

I thought we'd pick Tyler Eifert, but I'm happy with Jarvis. We need to improve our pass rush.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 10:49 am

Quote :
Jarvis Jones ‏@SacManJones_29

Loving Pittsburgh already.. Fans gave me a warm welcoming at the airport...

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 11:38 am

Quote :
Skip Bayless ‏@RealSkipBayless

Steelers amaze me. Know exactly who they are, what they need. Lose James Harrison, draft Jarvis Jones. Need rough/tough banger: Le'veon Bell

Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Absolutely thrilled we were able to pick Jones up! I have a feeling he'll be good and will be a Steeler for a long time.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 pm

Jarvis Jones is the real deal and the 16 teams that passed on him should be ashamed. This reminds me of the 2004 draft when Roethlisberger was the 3rd QB drafted that year. When the last football game was played that season Roethlisberger was listed as the top QB in the draft class. BTW, Rivers was projected as a second rounder. Then along came the combine and the Steelers got a great deal at the #11 pick. The Chargers and Giants decided to forget about what happened on the field and got caught up in the post-combine hype.

This year, when the Tide finished that monumental beat-down of the Irish, Jones was projected by many as the top pick in the draft. The combine and hype machine kicked in (and, yes, a very slow 40 time in a Pro-Day workout) and the Steelers get one of the top talents who dominated on the field.

The Chargers drafted D.J. Fluker of Alabama at #11. Ask Fluker how it felt when Jones beat him and Lacey (double team) on a huge sack/fumble. Fluker might sleep well because 'Bama beat Georgia in that game, but just wait until he has to face Jones at the next level.

The SEC is the dominate division in college football with the best talent. Jarvis Jones rose above the talented opposition week in and week out. He's a stud and now he's a Steelers linebacker. Can you tell I love this pick?
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 9:51 pm

WOW! It's great to see you back at Xtreme, kirkland. Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones 230572241

It's obvious that you like Jones. Are you concerned at all about his size and speed in the 3-4?

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyWed May 01, 2013 7:30 am

Wallace108 wrote:
WOW! It's great to see you back at Xtreme, kirkland. Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones 230572241

Thanks! Somehow I bit off a few too many projects last year No

Wallace108 wrote:
It's obvious that you like Jones. Are you concerned at all about his size and speed in the 3-4?

The short answer is: No.

I see no issues with his size. 6'2" 242 lbs. is a good size for an OLB. He'll add more strength, although that isn't a huge problem as he seemed to get a good push on his pass rush in college.

Let's put his 40 time in perspective: What did James Harrison time in the 40 last year? Or the year before that? If someone knows that answer, please let me know. See, nobody cares what Harrison's 40 time is. They only care about how fast he's getting to the QB.

Also, running the 40 can be as much psychological as physical. A person can spend more time thinking about their stride and their mechanics than just running naturally. When Jones is running down a QB, he's not thinking of his stride or pumping his arms.

I watch a lot of SEC football (I live in the South) and saw a lot of Georgia games. Jones was a wrecking ball last year and he did it by making spectacular plays in big games. He didn't look slow to me and the results of his play indicate game-speed is not a problem for this guy.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyWed May 01, 2013 5:44 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Thanks! Somehow I bit off a few too many projects last year No

Wallace108 wrote:

The short answer is: No.

I see no issues with his size. 6'2" 242 lbs. is a good size for an OLB. He'll add more strength, although that isn't a huge problem as he seemed to get a good push on his pass rush in college.

Let's put his 40 time in perspective: What did James Harrison time in the 40 last year? Or the year before that? If someone knows that answer, please let me know. See, nobody cares what Harrison's 40 time is. They only care about how fast he's getting to the QB.

Also, running the 40 can be as much psychological as physical. A person can spend more time thinking about their stride and their mechanics than just running naturally. When Jones is running down a QB, he's not thinking of his stride or pumping his arms.

I watch a lot of SEC football (I live in the South) and saw a lot of Georgia games. Jones was a wrecking ball last year and he did it by making spectacular plays in big games. He didn't look slow to me and the results of his play indicate game-speed is not a problem for this guy.

what is his 15 yard time? imho a LB only needs to be fast for about 15 yards.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyWed May 01, 2013 5:45 pm

lets make an ILB out of him? like Timmons.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyWed May 01, 2013 10:38 pm

effyou515 wrote:

I don't think that would be a good idea. He is a great pass rusher and I think he would fit in perfectly where Harrison was. I personally feel Jones is made for the OLB position because of the way he plays and how he can get to the quarterback.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyThu May 02, 2013 5:06 pm

steelerdude15 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

I don't think that would be a good idea. He is a great pass rusher and I think he would fit in perfectly where Harrison was. I personally feel Jones is made for the OLB position because of the way he plays and how he can get to the quarterback.

Agreed. However, effyou raises a legitimate question that is based on seeing guys moved to a position they did not play in college. Typically, the Steelers and other 3-4 defenses in the league will draft undersized defensive ends and convert them to Outside Linebackers. They will also draft strong side or weakside linebackers (often confused as OLB) and move them to the Inside Linebacker position in the pros.

So Timmons, a strong side linebacker, was moved (successfully) to an ILB position with the Steelers. This year, they draft Jones who was an OLB and leaves the impression he may be considered for the inside. Totally plausible. However, I do believe the Steelers intend on keeping Jones on the OLB spot. Here's why:

A 4-3 strong side linebacker (Timmons at Florida State), who usually aligns on the TE side of the formation (or where the offense overloads their blockers), is often considered or called an OLB. In a 4-3 defense, outside contain and your outside pass rush are typically the duties of the defensive end. This isn't law and keep in mind a Defensive Coordinator will move that strong side linebacker (or weakside linebacker) outside that defensive end, which places outside containment and pass rushing to that backer. But normally in a 4-3 defense, the strong and weak side linebackers are inside those defensive ends. This position translates very closely to an Inside Linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

Jones played Outside Linebacker in a 3-4 defense at Georgia. He lined up outside the defensive end and was responsible for containment and the outside pass rush. Exactly what the Steelers do with their OLBs. Note: for non-Steelers fans, watch footage of Harrison, Porter, Lloyd .. then watch Georgia footage of Jones and you'll see they all look the same: AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyFri May 03, 2013 2:00 am

kirklandrules wrote:
steelerdude15 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

Agreed. However, effyou raises a legitimate question that is based on seeing guys moved to a position they did not play in college. Typically, the Steelers and other 3-4 defenses in the league will draft undersized defensive ends and convert them to Outside Linebackers. They will also draft strong side or weakside linebackers (often confused as OLB) and move them to the Inside Linebacker position in the pros.

So Timmons, a strong side linebacker, was moved (successfully) to an ILB position with the Steelers. This year, they draft Jones who was an OLB and leaves the impression he may be considered for the inside. Totally plausible. However, I do believe the Steelers intend on keeping Jones on the OLB spot. Here's why:

A 4-3 strong side linebacker (Timmons at Florida State), who usually aligns on the TE side of the formation (or where the offense overloads their blockers), is often considered or called an OLB. In a 4-3 defense, outside contain and your outside pass rush are typically the duties of the defensive end. This isn't law and keep in mind a Defensive Coordinator will move that strong side linebacker (or weakside linebacker) outside that defensive end, which places outside containment and pass rushing to that backer. But normally in a 4-3 defense, the strong and weak side linebackers are inside those defensive ends. This position translates very closely to an Inside Linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

Jones played Outside Linebacker in a 3-4 defense at Georgia. He lined up outside the defensive end and was responsible for containment and the outside pass rush. Exactly what the Steelers do with their OLBs. Note: for non-Steelers fans, watch footage of Harrison, Porter, Lloyd .. then watch Georgia footage of Jones and you'll see they all look the same: AWESOME!

spot on captain kirklandrules I was bing a little sarcastic about Jones and the ILB position because of all the hate Jones was getting on all these message boards.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyFri May 03, 2013 9:54 am

effyou515 wrote:
spot on captain kirklandrules I was bing a little sarcastic about Jones and the ILB position because of all the hate Jones was getting on all these message boards.

Speaking of Timmons, I do remember the mob looking to ride him out of town the first 3 years. Why not, he does suck, right? It's also apparent from the get-go that Jones is a bust, after all, what has he done for us lately? And why stop at the continued failure at the linebacker position? Isn't this really an indictment against the Rooneys and how little they've produced for their fans?

Well, I for one, am not going to sit here and listen to these guys badmouth the entire National Football League!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyFri May 03, 2013 11:07 am

Has there really been a lot of anti-Jones sentiment? I haven't been paying as much attention as I do during the season, but I haven't seen any of it. Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones 2087824411

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyFri May 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Has there really been a lot of anti-Jones sentiment? I haven't been paying as much attention as I do during the season, but I haven't seen any of it. Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones 2087824411

I haven't seen an overabundance of anti-Jones posts (I don't visit other boards so may not see it). However, I have seen in the press (Ron Cook for one) where people felt let down by this pick and thought the Steelers were better off picking TE Tyler Eifert.

Quote :
Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert, anyone?

You can't tell me the Steelers wouldn't be better off with Harrison and Eifert than they are with just Jones. The Bengals ended up with both players, getting Eifert Thursday four selections after Jones went. That means the Steelers not only didn't add Eifert as a receiving threat for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but they also must cover him twice a season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/james-harrisons-loss-shaped-draft-685245/#ixzz2SFUo2ZuC

Let me go on the record to disagree with Cook right here. I would rather have Jones than Harrison and Eifert. Here's why:

1. Cook overlooked one major factor. Harrison leaving allowed the Steelers to keep another player (Sanders anyone?). So I would rather have Jones and someone else (Sanders) instead of Harrison and Eifert. Knowing Jones has his entire career ahead of him and is cheap for the next few years. Also knowing Sanders will have more rec, yards, TDs that Eifert this year.
  2. I'm a huge Harrison fan and think he was better than all other 3-4 outside linebackers the Steelers have had. However, I'm concerned that his injuries and his age are catching up with him. At 23, your body has more bend ... at 35 (Harrison has a birthday tomorrow) your body tends to break.
  3. Harrison made an enemy of the league and the Commish specifically. There will be very few flags throw when his opponents blatantly hold him. There's not a Steelers fan who hasn't witnessed this over the last few years. Harrison's greatest asset is his ability to bring down a QB. Now that the league has unofficially adopted a policy that holding does not apply to an OT who faces James, you're taking away his real value.

Forget Harrison altogether. The Steelers had a choice to draft Jones or Eifert. They made the right choice. The Eifert pick is just another example of post combine hype. On draft day there were plenty of t.v. commentators selling the storyline of Miller being injured and Eifert just waiting for the Steelers to come calling. Just remember, the Rooney's pay their people to make the right picks for the team, the t.v. stations pay their people to guess.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:12 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
I haven't seen an overabundance of anti-Jones posts (I don't visit other boards so may not see it). However, I have seen in the press (Ron Cook for one) where people felt let down by this pick and thought the Steelers were better off picking TE Tyler Eifert.
Oh, OK. I was going by what Eff said in terms of fans on message boards. From what I've seen, the pick has been popular. Not with everyone of course, but you're never going to get everyone to agree on everything.

As for Ron Cook, I never put a lot of stock into what he says.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones   Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones Empty

Back to top Go down

Round 1: Steelers select Jarvis Jones
Page 1 of 1