Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 8:10 am

Write up from Steelcityblitz.com:

If you asked me who the Steelers’ most valuable player is, I’d probably say it’s Ben Roethlisberger. If I went down the list of the team’s most valuable, Jarvis Jones would probably be pretty far down that list.

However, I think that sophomore outside linebacker, Jarvis Jones may be the difference between an okay Steelers team, and a great one. Let me explain…

I’m making plenty of assumptions here, but I think that the Steelers offense is going to be a well-oiled, balanced, machine this season.

However, I think that the Steelers’ struggles in the redzone will keep the offense from being the kind that can carry a whole team.

I think that whether or not the defense improves this season will determine whether or not they’re a team that really scares people.

Read more: http://www.steelcityblitz.com/2014/08/15/jarvis-jones-could-determine-steelers-success-in-2014/

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:53 pm

I think it's a stretch to say that Jarvis could determine the success of the entire team, but I think he could determine the success of the defense. The past few seasons we've had problems getting pressure on quarterbacks. Regardless of how good our secondary is, even mediocre quarterbacks will find open receivers if given the time. A good defense starts with pressuring the quarterback.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
steelbydesign

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 9:18 am

Point is he's an X-factor for the defense, which you said he could be key for the defense. They could play well without him producing... But they could be a top 10 unit if he has a breakout season and gets 8-10 sacks.

If the D is a top 10 unit then I think this team is very dangerous. With the potentially improved running game Ben can work play-action more, and I expect the O to carry the D for once.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 10:57 am

steelbydesign wrote:
Point is he's an X-factor for the defense, which you said he could be key for the defense. They could play well without him producing... But they could be a top 10 unit if he has a breakout season and gets 8-10 sacks.

If the D is a top 10 unit then I think this team is very dangerous. With the potentially improved running game Ben can work play-action more, and I expect the O to carry the D for once.

Welcome to the Xtreme, SBD. Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 230572241

The same argument that is made for Jones could also be made for Worilds. We need one of them to have a monster year. Ultimately, it would be fantastic if they both stepped it up this year. If we can improve our pass rush, the defense should be a top 10 defense.

I agree with you that if the defense is solid, this is going to be a dangerous team. Ben and Haley are finally on the same page, and I'd be surprised if our offense isn't noticeably better this year. I don't think our defense has to be great, just really good, and we can make a run. Like I said, it all starts with the pass rush. If Jones and Worilds can apply pressure, that will take the heat off the secondary.

In just one preseason game, Jones has already showed improvement over last season. Hopefully he builds on it.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 12:06 pm

Already with some health concerns in the pre-season so lets have a HEALTHY D crew that shows up every game and I think we could make some waves this year.

SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Jarvis Jones could determine the Steelers DEFENSIVE success no question. However, we still need the offense to make some drives to help keep the defense off the field so they aren't gassed. I can't wait to see the improvements made at the linebacker position and hope that Jones can become a leader on and off the field.

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
steelbydesign wrote:

Welcome to the Xtreme, SBD. Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 230572241

The same argument that is made for Jones could also be made for Worilds. We need one of them to have a monster year. Ultimately, it would be fantastic if they both stepped it up this year. If we can improve our pass rush, the defense should be a top 10 defense.

I agree with you that if the defense is solid, this is going to be a dangerous team. Ben and Haley are finally on the same page, and I'd be surprised if our offense isn't noticeably better this year. I don't think our defense has to be great, just really good, and we can make a run. Like I said, it all starts with the pass rush. If Jones and Worilds can apply pressure, that will take the heat off the secondary.

In just one preseason game, Jones has already showed improvement over last season. Hopefully he builds on it.

Thanks.

I agree... If Jones has 10 sacks and Worilds sucks then it won't make much of a difference. And I allude to in the write up that I'm assuming a lot... but I feel safe saying Worilds will be at least serviceable. I think a lot of people underrate how good Worilds was last year, he had a ton of pressures that weren't sacks on top of a career high in sacks.

Back to top Go down
steelbydesign

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 12:27 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
Jarvis Jones could determine the Steelers DEFENSIVE success no question.  However, we still need the offense to make some drives to help keep the defense off the field so they aren't gassed.  I can't wait to see the improvements made at the linebacker position and hope that Jones can become a leader on and off the field.

And as I said in my write up... I think that the team success will hinge on defensive success. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have a very solid run game and a dangerous play-action game with Ben.

This team has a playoff caliber offense.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 12:35 pm

steelbydesign wrote:
This team has a playoff caliber offense.

I haven't gotten to watch the whole game but judging by the plays they showed on SportsCener, the offense looked SHARP.

To go along with the topic of this thread, how did Jarvis look last night?

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 10:09 pm

steelbydesign wrote:
I think  a lot of people underrate how good Worilds was last year, he had a ton of pressures that weren't sacks on top of a career high in sacks.

You won't get any argument from me about how Worilds played last season. He was fantastic. My only question (from an objective standpoint) is was it a fluke? Before last season, most of us thought he was a bust. Then he came on last season out of nowhere. Before I have complete confidence in him, I need to see him put together another solid year. If he does, and if Jones shows noticeable improvement, I think we're going to see a much different defense than what we've seen the past few seasons.

SteelersYak wrote:
how did Jarvis look last night?

Bored.

He didn't play.  Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 2981382511

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 8:18 am

Wallace108 wrote:

SteelersYak wrote:
how did Jarvis look last night?

Bored.

He didn't play.  Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 2981382511

Yea I realized that after about the 2nd drive where I said to myself "Oh, there's my answer".  Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 294855916 

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 11:05 am

Wallace108 wrote:
My only question (from an objective standpoint) is was it a fluke? Before last season, most of us thought he was a bust. Then he came on last season out of nowhere. Before I have complete confidence in him, I need to see him put together another solid year. If he does, and if Jones shows noticeable improvement, I think we're going to see a much different defense than what we've seen the past few seasons.

Totally fair question, and one the Steelers have probably asked too considering they weren't willing to give him a huge payday yet.

I think that his production is real, my bigger question is can he stay healthy. I think that changing sides helped Worilds... I also think that the OLB position is also one that takes time to learn. Woodley was kind of a freak in that he produced right away, but other than him all the Steelers' great OLB's have taken AT LEAST 2 years to really look comfortable.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 1:24 pm

After watching the preseason game, one has to also think: what could Shazier bring to the table? Can you imagine what these LBs are capable of? Leading the league in sack, tackles, and interceptions.  Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 2087824411 

PostSubject: Re: Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014   Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jarvis Jones Could Determine Steelers' Success in 2014
Page 1 of 1