Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeAllen prepares for strong challenge Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Allen prepares for strong challenge

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Allen prepares for strong challenge Empty
PostSubject: Allen prepares for strong challenge   Allen prepares for strong challenge EmptySun May 05, 2013 11:53 am

Quote :
By Ralph N. Paulk

Cortez Allen marvels at the sometimes-immeasurable sweat equity veteran cornerback Ike Taylor invests into his offseason workouts. It's a punishing exercise of physical toughness designed to strengthen a player mentally.

Allen, entering his third season with the Steelers, is physically gifted. He has spent the past three months perfecting his coverage skills and understanding the complexities of Dick LeBeau's pass defense.

More important, he has prepared his body and mind for a grueling training camp and 16-game season. Even Taylor, who suffered a season-ending ankle fracture, couldn't make it through the 2012 season.

“Ike is one of the hardest workers I've met,” said Allen, who sustained a hip flexor and groin injury in Week 14 against San Diego. “Seeing the way he does things is something that I would one day like to model. I'm getting a close-up view of what it takes to play 10 years in this league.

“We know what's required in the scheme of what we do. We know how to push one another. We have to coach each other. We're making one another and the team better as a whole.”

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound cornerback already is expected to slide into the starting role at right corner — a slot left vacant by the departure of Keenan Lewis, who signed a free-agent contract with New Orleans.

Allen, though, is hesitant to pencil himself into the lineup on a defense that led the NFL in total defense (275.8 yards) and pass defense (185.2) the past two seasons. Besides, he'll have plenty of competition when training camp begins in mid-July at Saint Vincent College.

“If you don't want to take on this kind of challenge, then you're playing the wrong game, and you'll never be as good as you can be,” said Allen, a 2011 third-round pick from The Citadel. “When the opportunity presents itself, my preparation and mindset will be ready.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3925509-74/allen-season-taylor#ixzz2SQ2TKw4j

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/

Allen prepares for strong challenge
Page 1 of 1