Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeNew starting strong safety   Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

New starting strong safety

Go down 
+8
LambertWardSteel
Master_Of_Puppets
SteelerFreak58
Drizztbob
solardave
vasteeler
jak341
Crash
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Crash

Crash

New starting strong safety   Empty
PostSubject: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 4:54 am

Steelers are signing Morgan Burnett. The #1 ranked safety on the FA market.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 6:55 am

Lots of places reporting this, including his former teammate.

Don't know too much about him.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 7:44 am

Great signing... Mike who?

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 8:30 am

Here is one report.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922148/article/expackers-safety-morgan-burnett-heading-to-steelers
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 am

If this report is legit, and looks like it mike be, Burnett is a massive upgrade from Mitchell. He is a sure tackler and VERY smart. He still has a few years left in his legs so depending on his cost, this would be a welcome addition to a secondary desperate for actual leadership.

SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 am

Instant upgrade! Not to mention Davis will get to move back to his natural position at FS. This signing is a big win for the D. Now you are gonna see some Steeler football on the Defensive side like we are used to seeing.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Crash wrote:
Steelers are signing Morgan Burnett. The #1 ranked safety on the FA market.
actually he was the 4th ranked safety on NFL.com's top 100 free agents. but anywho , good move by the steelers , didn't think they had it in em. now i'd like to see them sign NT johnathon hankins.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 2:13 pm

ESPN calls him: one of the best safeties on the free-agency market. I'm really glad they got a proven player. Steelers reporting they signed him to 3 year contract.

Quote :
Burnett, 29, was one of the best safeties on the free-agency market. He pairs with cornerback Joe Haden to give the Steelers valuable experience in pass coverage.

Burnett has played everywhere from safety to slot cornerback to inside linebacker during his eight seasons, but he's never been one to make a ton of splash plays and has just nine career interceptions.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22843346/pittsburgh-steelers-sign-ex-packers-safety-morgan-burnett

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Good Ed Bouchette article at PPG:

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers are better than they were two months ago

Quote :
Say this about the Steelers: They are better today than they were at the end of the 2017 season.

By signing safety Morgan Burnett of Green Bay to a three-year contract on Tuesday and inside linebacker Jon Bostic of Indianapolis to a two-year deal on Monday, they helped fill the two biggest holes on their team.

Their first two free agent signings will not turn them into the Steel Curtain defense, but they are veterans who will take the pressure off at inside linebacker and safety, where the holes were as evident as a 45-42 playoff loss to Jacksonville.

They won’t stop there. Inside linebacker remains a top priority in the draft, and a good, young safety should also be on their agenda April 26-28. But it was a move in the right direction for a team that is bumped up against the salary cap.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/03/20/morgan-burnett-steelers-signed-jon-bostic-nfl-draft-inside-linebackers/stories/201803200117
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 5:03 pm

old and already used up and done lost a step guess its a good thing he's a SS maybe he can still tackle. New starting strong safety   1689750825

glad Steelers played it the Steelers way took their time and got value at a position of need plus played in Dom Capers defense which is a lot like Steelers defense.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Steelers sign S Morgan Burnett (3 years, $14.5 million): A+ Grade

As is usually the case, one of the smarter teams in the NFL waited until the second week of free agency to acquire a talented player at a very cheap rate. The Steelers did this with Morgan Burnett in what was one of the best moves in the new league year thus far.

Safety was Pittsburgh's top need (excluding inside linebacker) heading into the offseason. That's no longer the case in the wake of the Burnett signing. Burnett, 29, was outstanding for the Packers for most of his career. He had a bit of a down season in 2017 because of injuries, but he's young enough to have a bounce-back campaign. Assuming this happens, Burnett will offer the Steelers a huge upgrade at safety at a big-time bargain price.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 4:33 am

I see both Burnett and Bostic as a +. Both can still play. If we draft help at both positions then we have depth one way or the other. I see these moves as a win. Now if we don't go do something stupid like pick QB at #1 this could be another good draft for us.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Wow, I never thought we would get him. He was at the top of my list, but I thought he would make 8 to 10 mil a year. This really is a bargain New starting strong safety   1647293567
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 12:19 pm

solardave wrote:
I see both Burnett and Bostic as a +. Both can still play. If we draft help at both positions then we have depth one way or the other. I see these moves as a win. Now if we don't go do something stupid like pick QB at #1 this could be another good draft for us.

I'm afraid Mason Rudolph is a real possibility at 28 now New starting strong safety   1505004552
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 6:15 am

Stella Nation wrote:
solardave wrote:

I'm afraid Mason Rudolph is a real possibility at 28 now New starting strong safety   1505004552

It's hard for me to imagine they would pick Rudolph or any QB in this draft at 28 especially considering we still have a need at ILB. Bostic may be an upgrade over Spence but probably equal to VW talent wise and we know Williams or Spence shouldn't figure into our long range plans.

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 6:49 am

solardave wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
solardave wrote:

It's hard for me to imagine they would pick Rudolph or any QB in this draft at 28 especially considering we still have a need at ILB. Bostic may be an upgrade over Spence but probably equal to VW talent wise and we know Williams or Spence shouldn't figure into our long range plans.

For me too, but we can only guess who they like and don't like. And rumours are that they really like Rudolph. There's a good chance too that the 4 possible first round ILB's are gone before 28. Raiders, Dolphins, Redskins, Packers, Ravens, Chargers, Cowboys, Bengals, Rams and Titans all can use one and they're ahead of us. Especially Ravens and Bengals know our need at that position and may adjust to that. Look at the Bengals picking Jackson III right in front of us in 2016 or the Ravens trading up for Maxx Williams in 2015.

With all our needs I would be surprised if they went QB at 28, but you never know.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 am

solardave wrote:

been seeing a lot of mocks penciling in lamar jackson to the steelers New starting strong safety   1505004552 ...when are these GM's gonna realize that these running QB'S never pan out in the NFL ? jackson is no better than RG3 was coming out of college. where is RG3 now ? the guy has kordell stewart like accuracy , and i personally don't see being compared to mike vick as a compliment. VICK had what ? one? two? respectable seasons. how many playoff games did he win ?
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 12:20 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
solardave wrote:

been seeing a lot of mocks penciling in lamar jackson to the steelers New starting strong safety   1505004552 ...when are these GM's gonna realize that these running QB'S never pan out in the NFL ? jackson is no better than RG3 was coming out of college. where is RG3 now ? the guy has kordell stewart like accuracy , and i personally don't see being compared to mike vick as a compliment. VICK had what ? one? two? respectable seasons. how many playoff games did he win ?

Jackson will be a bust. I really hope it's not with us. I have a nephew that's a diehard Louisville and Steelers fan and even he said he hopes we don't pick Jackson. Funny he compared him to Griffin and Cordell.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 12:49 pm

solardave wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
solardave wrote:

Jackson will be a bust. I really hope it's not with us. I have a nephew that's a diehard Louisville and Steelers fan and even he said he hopes we don't pick Jackson. Funny he compared him to Griffin and Cordell.

don't worry Jackson is the N.O. Saints 1st round draft pick.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 12:59 pm

New starting strong safety   3135543967 Rudolph 1st round Bates 2nd round and 2 4-3 LBers in the later rounds.

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 2:10 pm

solardave wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
solardave wrote:

Yeah I tend to agree with this thinking and doubt a QB is drafted this year. I think they still go ILB 1st unless all that they view as round 1 talent are gone. I think Bostic is viewed more as stopgap until a rookie would be ready, or possible even push Williams when a rookie is ready. I wouldn't be surprised to see something unexpected like WR go round 2 now that they have Burnett, and maybe get a safety later. It surprised me when they drafted Ju Ju last year....but very glad they knew more than me and did. These things never can be predicted, though...it always seems like their picks can be figured then they end up getting a Mendenhall round 1.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 11:31 am

has anyone heard why the packers let burnett walk ?
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

This is the only explanation I've seen ...

Packers Turn Page at Safety After Losing Burnett

The Green Bay Packers used a second-round draft pick last year on safety Josh Jones for a reason.

What happened on Tuesday drove home that reason.

Longtime veteran starter Morgan Burnett signed a free-agent contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers. According to reports, Burnett received a three-year deal worth $14.5 million. That’s not much money. The Packers started the day armed with just more than $20 million of cap space, so they could have done that deal.

They simply chose not to. Ready or not, it’s Jones’ time. It was a decision perhaps made 47 weeks ago, when Green Bay selected Jones with the 61st overall selection.

Burnett became the Packers’ first loss of free agency. At age 29 and with a worrisome injury history, the Packers elected to turn away from Burnett's experience and versatility in lieu of Jones’ upside — his rocky rookie season notwithstanding.

https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Article/Green-Bay-Packers-Turn-Page-at-Safety-After-Losing-Morgan-Burnett-116475029

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

Ed Bouchette posted this in an article at PPG

Quote :
Grading Burnett

Bob McGinn is a Dick McCann Award-winning reporter who has covered the Green Bay Packers for the past 39 years. Sports Illustrated called him “highly respected for his diligence, knowledge of the game and his tireless tape study of every play.”

McGinn grades each player on the Packers after each season. For what it’s worth, here are his grade and comments on new Steelers safety Morgan Burnett after his eighth season with the Packers in 2017.

“Veteran approaching ninth season seeking a rare third contract from the Packers. Hamstring and groin injuries cost him four full games and portions of two others. Injuries have increasingly cropped up in the last few years. Runs the show from the back end. Understated leader. Unselfish, team player. Demonstrated tremendous versatility in 2017, easily playing more snaps as a nickel back in the slot and as a full-fledged ILB than he did as a strong safety. Shouldn’t be able to hold up covering down inside but did. Declining athlete has distinct problems in space. Better against tight ends than wide receivers. Lacks ideal range as an over-the-top safety but maximizes the range he has left. Probably not as physical in the box as he once was but more than willing to stick his nose in there. Missed just three tackles, a career low and representative of vast improvement from 2013 (17 misses) and 2014 (14). Had worst season as a blitzer with just one pressure every 16.7 blitzes. Grade: B-minus.

Complete article is here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/03/23/le-veon-bell-contract-update-steelers-franchise-tag-nfl-holdout/stories/201803220154
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 4:54 pm

Steelers release Wilcox

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

J.J. Wilcox was released after the Steelers added to the safety position via free agency and the draft.

The Steelers released veteran safety J.J. Wilcox, a player they acquired via a trade with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers prior to the 2017 season.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-4/Steelers-release-Wilcox/b93de41a-bf21-407a-b1be-6ae0b0422804
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New starting strong safety    New starting strong safety   Empty

Back to top Go down

New starting strong safety
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next