Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBig Ben, Haley making strides Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Big Ben, Haley making strides

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Big Ben, Haley making strides Empty
PostSubject: Big Ben, Haley making strides   Big Ben, Haley making strides EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 1:56 am

Quote :
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

That supposed frosty relationship between quarterback and offensive coordinator has thawed this spring. At least, it would seem that way by listening to Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley speak -- and they speak to each other often apparently.

After Haley was hired last year, the story became how long it took for the new coordinator and the old quarterback to finally speak to one another. This year, they can't stop.

Roethlisberger zipped some passes before the afternoon practice Tuesday, six days after Dr. James Bradley performed surgery on his right knee to remove some loose cartilage with an arthroscope.

"It feels great," Roethlisberger said. "I saw [Dr.]Bradley this morning. He was pleasantly surprised with the range of motion and where we're at with the swelling. It feels great. I've been off crutches for a couple days now and moving around pretty good. I think I could play Sunday if I had to."

And if he played, there would be some differences in the offense thanks to Haley taking suggestions from players this year.

It's not so much what plays are called, but how they're called.

"It's more than just me. I think it's everybody," Roethlisberger said of the input Haley has taken from players. "Just the simple fact that he came to me and asked what I thought about it, changing the names of things to kind of make more sense to all of us."

Roethlisberger acknowledged in the middle of last season that, when calling an audible, he would often change the name of a play to what it was called when Bruce Arians was the coordinator so his teammates would quickly understand it. This spring, Haley has been amenable to naming certain plays as they were named under Arians.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/big-ben-haley-making-strides-691297/#ixzz2VyjZYZkJ

Big Ben, Haley making strides 1647293567

I know a lot of fans denied it at the time (and probably still do), but there was friction between Ben and Haley last offseason, and it was evident in everything Ben was saying to the media. That's not the case this offseason. They appear to be on the same page and working well together. That's bad news for the rest of the league.

Another article saying pretty much the same as the above article:

Quote :
Steelers' offense evolving under Haley

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s surgically repaired right knee is on its way to a full recovery.

So too, it seems, is Roethlisberger’s relationship with offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Following a somewhat rocky year in which the two couldn’t seem to warm to the idea of the other, the admittedly headstrong men behind Pittsburgh’s offense appear focused on moving forward after the Steelers slumped to an 8-8 finish.

Haley approached Roethlisberger and several other players during the offseason asking them about changes they’d like to see made, and the result is an attack they hope is a little more streamlined than it was in 2012.

“You want your guys that are out there, especially Ben who is handling football on hopefully an every down basis, to feel invested in what’s going on,” Haley said.

Something that didn’t happen regularly last fall.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben, Haley making strides   Big Ben, Haley making strides EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 8:02 am

That's awesome (as long as they are tip toeing through the tulips holding hand in hand.)

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Big Ben, Haley making strides 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben, Haley making strides   Big Ben, Haley making strides EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 2:19 pm

It’s a little frustrating to hear that in the 2nd half of the season the team still didn’t understand the plays because of the terminology. I’m sure the truth is half between Ben and Haley. However, either Ben didn’t vocalize the terminology issue with Haley during the season, or Haley wasn’t listening to the feedback.  It almost seemed as if Ben had a hard time adjusting to a coach who actually wanted to coach (maturity issues?). Arians gave the impression that he was more a friend/mentor than a coach and allowed Ben freedom to do as he pleased, with feedback provided by Arians (for instance, Arians and Ben had a bet to see if Arian’s original play calling was more successful than Ben’s audibles). Haley has shown he’s a more hands-on coach and has an expectation that the players are going to follow his lead … not necessarily an innovative thought.

I loved the idea of picking up Haley when the Steelers did. The days of winning Super Bowls while seeing Ben freelancing, holding the ball for 10+ seconds, no running game and a poor offensive line are most likely over. Ben’s body isn’t as young and flexible as it once was. Things are going to break when he takes too many hits. Haley is a systems guy and that offense will require a certain amount of discipline it lacked in prior years, but should keep Ben upright more often. Losing because of terminology issues are beneath Ben and the veterans on this team.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben, Haley making strides   Big Ben, Haley making strides EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 2:29 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
It’s a little frustrating to hear that in the 2nd half of the season the team still didn’t understand the plays because of the terminology. I’m sure the truth is half between Ben and Haley. However, either Ben didn’t vocalize the terminology issue with Haley during the season, or Haley wasn’t listening to the feedback.  It almost seemed as if Ben had a hard time adjusting to a coach who actually wanted to coach (maturity issues?). Arians gave the impression that he was more a friend/mentor than a coach and allowed Ben freedom to do as he pleased, with feedback provided by Arians (for instance, Arians and Ben had a bet to see if Arian’s original play calling was more successful than Ben’s audibles). Haley has shown he’s a more hands-on coach and has an expectation that the players are going to follow his lead … not necessarily an innovative thought.

I loved the idea of picking up Haley when the Steelers did. The days of winning Super Bowls while seeing Ben freelancing, holding the ball for 10+ seconds, no running game and a poor offensive line are most likely over. Ben’s body isn’t as young and flexible as it once was. Things are going to break when he takes too many hits. Haley is a systems guy and that offense will require a certain amount of discipline it lacked in prior years, but should keep Ben upright more often. Losing because of terminology issues are beneath Ben and the veterans on this team.

Yep, as usual, I agree with most of everything you said Kirk. Here's the part I want to comment on though:

kirklandrules wrote:
It’s a little frustrating to hear that in the 2nd half of the season the team still didn’t understand the plays because of the terminology.

I remember during camp last season when Ben referred to the Rosetta Stone. At the same time, other players were saying that they weren't having any trouble learning the offense. What I suspect is that the problem (in this case the learning of terminology) was mainly with Ben. Not that he couldn't learn it, but because he was still pissed about the situation with Arians, he didn't throw himself into it like he should have. But as I've said over and over lately, that was last season. Ben is in a much better place this season, and he and Haley appear to be on the same page.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben, Haley making strides   Big Ben, Haley making strides EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Totally agree Wallace. I actually like that Haley is willing to change the names/terminology of his plays to ensure the players are all on the same page. It’s kind of like putting the pacifier in your kids mouth just to ensure you can drive down the road in peace and quiet. Big Ben, Haley making strides 1645253483
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben, Haley making strides   Big Ben, Haley making strides EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 11:27 am

Big Ben, Haley making strides 1549491426
kirklandrules wrote:
Totally agree Wallace. I actually like that Haley is willing to change the names/terminology of his plays to ensure the players are all on the same page. It’s kind of like putting the pacifier in your kids mouth just to ensure you can drive down the road in peace and quiet. Big Ben, Haley making strides 1645253483
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben, Haley making strides   Big Ben, Haley making strides Empty

Back to top Go down

Big Ben, Haley making strides
Page 1 of 1