Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeShazier shows off athleticism (article) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Shazier shows off athleticism (article)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Shazier shows off athleticism (article) Empty
PostSubject: Shazier shows off athleticism (article)   Shazier shows off athleticism (article) EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 5:15 pm

PITTSBURGH -- The most interesting sequence of the Pittsburgh Steelers' organized team activities took place late Wednesday morning.

Rookie linebacker Ryan Shazier made a breathtaking interception during an 11-on-11 drill, leaping high to pick off a Bruce Gradkowski pass and drawing oohs for the display of athleticism.

And the action was just getting started.

Defensive end Cameron Heyward and rookie center Wesley Johnson started fighting at the end of the play and it took coaches and teammates to break the two apart. Heyward was still fuming at the end of the 11-on-11 drill, though it is not clear what set him off.

The Steelers' next-to-last OTA session produced its share of good catches but none beat Shazier's after he dropped into coverage. Gradkowski tried to throw a pass over the first-round pick's head, but Shazier snagged it out of the sticky air after making a standing leap.

“He has a high vertical because I was right behind him,” Steelers free safety Mike Mitchell said. “I was coming from the backside hash(mark) so I was just tracking the ball and then I saw it get snatched out of the air and I said, 'Wow.' He's a rookie but I came over to him and said, 'Good play young fella.'

read more:http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/7035/ryan-shazier-shows-off-his-athleticism

Shazier shows off athleticism (article) We_bel10
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Shazier shows off athleticism (article)   Shazier shows off athleticism (article) EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 2:53 pm

I think we hit pay dirt with this kid. You just have to look how many other teams not only wanted him but it sounds like they were ready to pick him #1 if we didn't. I'm glad we got him.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Shazier shows off athleticism (article)   Shazier shows off athleticism (article) EmptyFri Jun 13, 2014 6:27 am

actions & emotions!

Yes sir, yes sir!

I like it.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Shazier shows off athleticism (article) 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Shazier shows off athleticism (article)   Shazier shows off athleticism (article) EmptyFri Jun 13, 2014 10:25 am

I agree 100%.  I know a lot of fans were disappointed as they wanted a corner (as did I), but I think Shazier is a rare type of player at his position.  I fully expect him to make his share of rookie mistakes, but I think he'll get better and better each season.  I also like his character and work ethic, which I really believe plays a huge part in whether an athlete is successful or not.

What I found intriguing was the fact that Shazier was able to read the play according to Alan Robinson of the Trib. He compared him to a younger Troy!

I'm excited to see him play this season -- I haven't been this excited since we drafted #86.

Last edited by Gingerchip on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Shazier shows off athleticism (article)   Shazier shows off athleticism (article) EmptyFri Jun 13, 2014 10:48 am

Another article which claims that Shazier resembles a younger Troy:

Warren Sapp's consistent slam of the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense as an "old and slow" beast in decline no longer holds true.

The drafting of Ryan Shazier gives coordinator Dick LeBeau a freakish new toy: the fastest linebacker to grace the league since Brian Urlacher and the most versatile rookie at his position in this year's class.

During Wednesday's practice, Shazier was a "younger version of Troy Polamalu -- lining up everywhere and anywhere," according to Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

The creative LeBeau sampled Shazier inside and out against a heavy dosage of two-back sets featuring Le'Veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount. LeBeau even had Shazier -- graced with 4.38 speed -- line up wide to cover Pro Bowl receiver Antonio Brown.

Expected to see most of his snaps at weak-inside linebacker alongside Lawrence Timmons, Shazier hit town with one advantage: He's been immersed in LeBeau's defense dating back to his days at Ohio State, where the coach frequently consulted with the Buckeyes' defensive staff.

"A lot of stuff we learned at Ohio State is from this defense," Shazier said. "The coaches came over here every now and then and learned some stuff. Some of it has different terminology, and (is) more complex, but it has a little bit of what we knew."

It's not outrageous to predict Shazier as a rock-solid Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate based on his gifts and perfect fit inside a defense that should draw high praise from Mr. Sapp come September

(great video accompanies article)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000357785/article/ryan-shazier-resembling-a-younger-troy-polamalu

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Shazier shows off athleticism (article)   Shazier shows off athleticism (article) EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 2:44 pm

Im excited to see him full speed.

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Shazier shows off athleticism (article)   Shazier shows off athleticism (article) EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 10:16 am

Quote :
Shazier makes huge and positive first impression

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger said he had no idea who Ryan Shazier was when the Steelers used their first-round draft choice on a linebacker from Ohio State. Roethlisberger said he had to call his agent to get the scoop.

All Roethlisberger has to do now is ask LeGarrette Blount, who got an up-close look at Shazier in the backs-on-backers drill Monday afternoon in the first practice in pads at training camp.

Shazier twice beat Blount with speed moves, making the veteran running back look bad. On the third go-round, Blount stepped up and popped Shazier before he could make a move.

Still, two out of three against a veteran was a good way for Shazier to make a good first impression.

“He got my attention on the first couple,” Blount said. “As a football player, it’s in your nature not to lose. I just have to make sure I get him before he gets off the line. He’s a quick kid. Obviously, I’m not as quick as he is, so I have to get to him before he makes his move. He’s really quick, he’s really fast. He makes plays.”

Blount wasn’t the only one who came away impressed.

“He did some nice things,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “He was elusive. He was playing to his assets with his speed and agility.”

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/07/29/Steelers-notebook-Inside-linebacker-and-No-1-pick-Ryan-Shazier-makes-huge-and-positive-first-impression/stories/201407290116#ixzz38roiq5Ae

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shazier shows off athleticism (article)   Shazier shows off athleticism (article) Empty

Back to top Go down

Shazier shows off athleticism (article)
Page 1 of 1