Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) Empty
PostSubject: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdU59Noa7MJFd_KWej_B6iWBvClKQN2zavNZ5mXM3PW9mwGbkX
For those who will be on during the game, there are two options for discussion. You can participate either in this thread or in the chatbox, which is located at the bottom of the forum. Only Steelers Xtreme members who are logged in are able to view the chatbox. PM one of the admins if you have any questions about it. HERE WE GO!  Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) 792589548

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Might as well start the chatbox up early this year.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Heading to the chatbox in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 8:11 pm

Was the 46 yarder dri caught pretty sweet? I'm on my phone. Y didn't he score??

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 8:14 pm

it was all run. it was nice, but typical preseason fodder. drizz, log in to the chabox.

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 8:28 pm

Can I get on through my phone?

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 8:40 pm

never tried on a phone. go to the bottom of the forum where the chatbox is. click on where it says Login. it's on the top right of the chatbox.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 1:53 pm

I was glad to see Spence on the field. He made a couple nice tackles. I recorded it and watched it this morning. Boring after the first series. Landry Jones still can't find the open receiver. Scramble, then throw it away. Archer is fast. His catch and run looked smoth like he can do it all day. Bryant dropped an easy pass and then fumbled away the next ball. For me it was a forgetable game.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 4:44 pm

I watched it today too. First team O and D looked pretty solid even without Shazier and TP. Once they started cycling 1st squad out it got sloppier and sloppier. I hate that I was upset we didn't a W here as pre-season means nothing as we all know, but our start last year set the tone for the whole year and I thought Tomlin would learn from that and play the first team a little longer than one series.

SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 5:13 pm

I only caught part of the game and I agree with Wally's analysis: meh. I have big hopes for Archer and Bryant (I didn't get to see Archer play)

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Bryant looked more like a rookie than Archer did...

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 2:08 am

solardave wrote:
Boring after the first series.

Drizztbob wrote:
Once they started cycling 1st squad out it got sloppier and sloppier.

Whyant5 wrote:
I only caught part of the game and I agree with Wally's analysis:  meh.

I think we're all on the same page. That was about as boring as a preseason game as you can get. After the starters are pulled, you look for a few guys to stand out. No one stood out to me. The first drive was solid. Everything after that was blah.

I might be biased (because I've been pimping him since last year), but Justin Brown is the only non-starter who got my attention. He didn't do anything noteworthy, but he made catches and didn't make mistakes like Bryant. Other than that, blah ... bring on the Bills.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:18 am

I am recording the game later today so that I can watch it (even though I know it's meh) and finally watch Archer's run.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 12:11 pm

Quote :
Up and down game for rookie WR Bryant

By Ron Musselman Times NFL Correspondent

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Rookie wide receiver Martavis Bryant’s NFL debut with the Steelers certainly was a mixed bag.

He made a few good plays and some bad ones.

In the end, it was Bryant’s fumble with 1:14 remaining Saturday night that thwarted a potential comeback by the Steelers in their preseason opener.

The miscue also helped seal the Giants’ 20-16 victory at MetLife Stadium.

“It’s the first game,” Bryant said. “It’s a learning experience for me. I’m disappointed I didn’t do better. But at the same time, I know I’m going to learn from my mistakes and do better.”

Third-string quarterback Landry Jones had the Steelers on the move with less than two minutes remaining.

Bryant, a tall, lanky fourth-round draft pick from Clemson, pulled in a 19-yard reception from Jones at New York’s 27-yard line.

Bryant spun away from one defender, pulled himself from the turf after slipping and then attempted to gain extra yardage. He was immediately hit by Giants safety C.J. Barnett, who jarred the ball loose.

Terrell Manning recovered for the Giants, who ran the clock out.

“It was just a rookie mistake,” Bryant said. “I just trying to find some more room and make a play in my first game in the NFL.

“I should have just stayed down and been more aware of the situation.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/up-and-down-game-for-rookie-wr-bryant/article_916341c8-f84d-57b3-a853-78d27eb29858.html

Obviously, it's better to make mistakes and have learning opportunities when the games don't matter. He'll learn and get better. (Just had a flashback of rookie Plax spiking the live ball.)

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 2:11 pm

This is typical pre-season Game 1 for the Steelers. It's all vanilla, especially on defense.

When Ben only played one series, we should have known the game wasn't going to be anything special. I think it's best (for our own sanity) if we take away individual performances away from the first 2 games. By game 3 or 4 we should see more out of our offense, consistent plays from our defense, and STs should have greater results (you know coffin kicks, awesome hits, long returns).

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 4:37 pm

FINALLY getting to watch the game. So far:

First Giants drive: despite the mental error by Tuitt, I liked the coverage and closing on Manning on the play where they rolled the pocket to the right. He had no options there.

First Steelers drive: We used the big package often and Bell ran well. The misdirection play that Archer ran was BEAUTIFUL. We are going to be dangerous when we spread the field. Moore has to run more of a "rub" route on 3rd down so that the CB can't stay so close to him.

Giants play: That run was too easy. I don't think he would have been down in flag football. It reminded me too much of the Pryor run last year that essentially cost us that game last year. Cannot allow for such plays against us.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 4:51 pm

Steelers drive: Gradkowski had great time thanks to the protection and didn't make a great throw. I like the end around play that they tried with Bryant (I think it'll work well with Archer as well). Grad made a great play by hanging in the pocket to deliver the pass right before he got walloped. The protection has looked pretty good. Again, the screen to Bell may have worked better if it was to Archer.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Giants drive: Wow, Jarvis Jones came hot down the line on the back side on one of those runs; that'll stop RBs trying to cut back. Wow, another long run that almost looks too easy. It's like the Steelers said "We have you surrounded, come out with your hands up!" and the RB just ran right out the doors while saying "Na-na na-na boo boo" (even though a penalty negated the play). We do a great job of SURROUNDING the runner, but not stopping the run. At least there were no stupid penalties committed or a big play given up.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Steelers drive: Whoever is number 38 did a fantastic job of avoiding the block to allow Grad to be sacked. When a defensive player JUKES a running back, you get a big  Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) 1505004552. Interesting on how that drive consisted of everything out of the gun vs. the big sets we saw with Ben. What the heck kind of punt was that? 21 yards? I could kick that....

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Giants drive: Not a very exciting drive. Run, run, pass. It was interesting on 3rd down how the Steelers had 10 of the 11 players within a few yards of the line of scrimmage. In the regular season, if we run that formation, would Troy or Mike Mitchell be the deep man on that? In the regular season, we would be happy if a drive that started from that position resulted in a 3 and out.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Steelers: Went 5 wide on first down. I hope we do this during the season. Looked like they were sending Wheaton on a fly route (formerly known as the Mike Wallace special). We trying to figure out between Wheaton and Bryant who is the bigger threat at this? I do not like the 1 WR big package we keep running. I can see where it would be effective with play action but it just seems that everyone blobs together. Time in the pocket for Grad continues to be good, his accuracy not so much. Just as I type that, the next play is a beautifully led pass to Wheaton. Great cut by Wheaton, I can see why hopes will be high for him. The next throw by Grad was inaccurately thrown behind the receiver (positive is making the right read and it would have been a nice gain. Overthrows Speath. After watching some of the Browns game on Saturday, it's amazing how much more comfortable Grad looks in the pocket when compared to Johnny Football. Grad's problem is accuracy and it doesn't seem like he's off by much. There's the kick that Suisham missed....  Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) 1505004552 

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Giants drive: brought a very nice blitz on second down. If the QB held onto the ball for 1 more second, he would have been rocked. Would have been neat to see the defense stuff them on 3rd and short. Carter (54) got tricked by the play action which cost him making a sack or seriously disrupting the play. We pretty much left the middle of the field wide open on the 2nd and short, the difference is that the Giants QB hit his target where Grad is missing. Finally a some great penetration on the first down run as there were about 5 or 6 Steelers pushing the running back backwards by the time the play was over. Did not like the tackle by Shamarko Thomas because he put his head down which the RB could have jumped over him or hurt Thomas. Thomas did a GREAT job to close the space quickly but he needs to square up and wrap up. Some very good pressure on 2nd down. Good coverage by 57 on 3rd down to force the field goal.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Steelers drive: I really like how much shotgun I'm seeing. I think we are running better out of the shotgun than we do that big package (especially Archer). With Archer running well out of the shotgun, it definitely tells me that he will be a good 3rd down back with his potential to run and catch. That ends the half and I'm going to finish the rest of the game later.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 8:39 pm

2nd half: I guess I may miss a drive or 2 as it says my satellite signal went out while recording... oh well.....

Steelers drive: Out comes Landry Jones. I like Hall's ability to get around the edge on the first play. No dancing, just running for the outside and turning it up as much as he can. Guy Whimper sighting! Great pick up on the blitz by Hall. A nice back shoulder pass by Jones to Bryant but Bryant wasn't able to reel it in (pass interference gives us the first down). Have to take a pause to watch an episode of Breaking Bad....  Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) 2605341373 

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Alright, back in action: Landry, nice play action to freeze the DE, but the DE caught up to him on the bootleg. Dennis Dixon could have out ran him....  Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) 611739232 . That was a new bunch formation there, the pass protection has significantly gotten worse. Unless it improves, we won't get to see what Landry is capable of. Really late and awful hand-off on the draw on 3rd down. I like that play call in the regular season from a field position standpoint but it's preseason; let the guy sling it. Very rough drive there. Only thing we saw was Bryant can catch the back shoulder fade as well as E Sanders did.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)   Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1) Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers vs. Giants game thread (Preseason Week 1)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next