Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBrown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) Empty
PostSubject: Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article)   Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 2:36 am

Ron Cook: Antonio Brown the gift that keeps on giving for Steelers

ATLANTA -- We know Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown is talented, the NFL's best according to the numbers. But he's also generous. He wanted to do something thoughtful for a couple of behind-the-scene teammates who have helped to make him great. Offensive linemen Maurkice Pouncey and Ramon Foster said that would be really nice and asked for a steak dinner. Brown shook his head and said that wouldn't be nearly enough. "How about a Segway for each of you guys?"

So a Segway it is.

"Really cool," Foster said.

One online site showed a new two-wheel Segway Personal Transporter selling for $6,500. It's not that Brown can't afford it. It's the thought that counts this holiday season. Brown is appreciative of the work Foster and Pouncey put in with him every Saturday at the Steelers' walk-through practice.

"One of us throws him balls on the sideline and the other pulls on him, tugs on him, pushes on him, does everything he can to keep him from making the catch," Foster said. "We're just playing around, but he takes it seriously. No matter what we do, he catches everything."

That's why there was little amazement in the Steelers locker room Sunday after Brown made one of the best catches of the NFL season in their 27-20 win against the Atlanta Falcons. It happened late in the second quarter when he outfought cornerback Desmond Trufant for a pass on the sideline, somehow getting both feet down before he stepped out of bounds. Officials ruled the play no catch, but after video review, it was determined it was a good catch for 28 yards to the Falcons 1. Running back Le'Veon Bell scored a touchdown on the next play to give the Steelers a 20-7 lead.

"My reaction to that catch was like, 'So?' " quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said, grinning

Read more: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2014/12/15/Ron-Cook-Antonio-Brown-the-gift-that-keeps-on-giving-for-Steelers/stories/201412150077

Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) We_bel10
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article)   Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 6:46 am

The man and the player that is AB continues to impress me. Goes to show just how important hard work and putting in the hours is at the top level of sports.

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article)   Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 10:33 am

It's hard to pick a favorite Steeler, but AB would be the one, if I could choose only one.

I'll never forget the flack the front office caught for signing him and not Mike Wallace a few years ago. I remember telling my close friends and family, this guy is going to be THE MAN. There was doubt. He's a 6th rounder and we were letting, arguably, our best receiver in a long time leave (Wallace.)

Also, when those bumblebee jerseys came out, we played hell trying to find a Brown jersey. Couldn't get one anywhere. I'd have fans ask at the tailgates or in the stadium why I was so high on this kid.

When I look around those same lots and the stadium now, I don't get that same impression. LOL

http://steelcityunderground.com
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article)   Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 3:31 pm

SteelCityUnderground wrote:
It's hard to pick a favorite Steeler, but AB would be the one, if I could choose only one.

I'll never forget the flack the front office caught for signing him and not Mike Wallace a few years ago. I remember telling my close friends and family, this guy is going to be THE MAN. There was doubt. He's a 6th rounder and we were letting, arguably, our best receiver in a long time leave (Wallace.)

Also, when those bumblebee jerseys came out, we played hell trying to find a Brown jersey. Couldn't get one anywhere. I'd have fans ask at the tailgates or in the stadium why I was so high on this kid.

When I look around those same lots and the stadium now, I don't get that same impression. LOL

Exactly. Many fans and press were doubtful of AB. Many thought AB's contract was for the purpose of sending a message to Wallace, who was holding out at the time --- remember? I remember the press conference and Colbert specifically stating that you only need to see how AB practices in order to understand why the organization was so high on him.

I have to give credit to Colbert, Tomlin, and the FO for this move. They saw something in him that, obviously, not a whole lot of other people saw.

Of course, I loved my "mini-Hines" from the beginning. Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) 2474380249

Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) We_bel10
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article)   Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 6:29 am

SteelCityUnderground wrote:

What do you see in my future Underground-damus? Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) 1797695198 Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) 1797695198

I didn't like AB initially because of the way he'd do the little ball drop every time he got a first down. With some of the plays he makes now... he definitely earns the right to celebrate a little bit.

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article)   Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 10:25 am

SteelersYak wrote:
What do you see in my future Underground-damus?  Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) 1797695198 Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) 1797695198

I didn't like AB initially because of the way he'd do the little ball drop every time he got a first down.  With some of the plays he makes now... he definitely earns the right to celebrate a little bit.

I remember seeing AB torch someone in the preseason his first year, and thought, this kid will be good if he gets a shot. Never in a million years did I think he was THAT good, but I always felt he was better than Wallace, who dropped some passes or didn't do much YAC. (Also feel this same way about Wheaton, who was drafted as Wallace's replacement.)

AB could also return punts, so that made him even more valuable to keep long-term, also considering the bargain they signed him at compared with what Wallace would've cost.

I was also high on Manny Sanders, but that kid has a case of the dropsies too. Guess he was too worried about his payday last year, because he's certainly doing well in Denver.

Who's next???

I like Martavis Bryant. I saw him being every bit of the scoring threat early on. Sometimes I sit in the corner endzone, and the first game he played (Texans) he lined up on that side and I could read that play coming his way all day long (and it did, his first catch for a TD.) He has the ability to get open, and we've seen his bigger frame help him win jump balls and break tackles. I'd like to see more of a complete package out of him, but so far I love what I see.

Jarvis Jones: if they guy can stay on the field, he's going to be a monster. He looks much more polished this season and doesn't appear to over run as many plays.

Vince Williams: I really wonder what's going to happen with #98 in the future. I think we have a luxury at ILB with Timmons, Shazier and Spence. Spence gets turned around a lot, but still has nice speed and usually is the one to make tackles after a gain. Williams looks like a hard-hitting, old school Steeler. I see the coordinators gaining more confidence in him week after week. The knock on him last year was pass coverage, but he's slowly becoming an every down player (even playing special teams.) They're also sending him on blitz packages, which if he is deficient on pass coverage, we'll never know it since he's rushing (and hiding said deficiency.)

Dri Archer hasn't shown us anything yet. I don't think he's the kind of guy that can run the same type of plays Bell can. He's fast, but can't really break any tackles.

Shazier needs to get on the field. I think he's a bit raw for the pro level yet, but has the making of being something special.

Shamarko Thomas is biding his time. I'd love to see what this kid can do in a full time role as well.

Can Antwon Blake grow a few more inches? He'd be an excellent DB if he wasn't outmatched in certain situations. Brice McCain could be a steal off waivers this year. Also look for this Fogg kid we picked up from Miami. Carnell Lake is one hell of a coach, and you can see it in these guys. Even Cortez, though he was getting beat, is usually inches from making some of these plays. He could bounce back, but I'm HIGHLY disappointed in his play this year. (Likewise the guy I really liked, Keenan Lewis, had a good year last year, but is not so hot in New Orleans this season.)

Anyone else? LOL

http://steelcityunderground.com
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article)   Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 7:01 pm

@SteelCityUnderground, you did an AWESOME job on the Steelers players, but nothing about MY future. I wanted to know if I should go and buy a lottery ticket tonight. There went that opportunity. Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) 1824088959 Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) 1797695198

I also see the potential in Martavis Bryant. I think the combo of him, Wheaton, and AB is a great mix of talent.

I am disappointed in Dri Archer because I was hoping he'd be what Rainey wasn't. I always thought Rainey could be a splash player but his career never got a chance to take off because of his off the field stuff.

Archer's problem is that he can't get ON the field Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) 1505004552 Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) 1797695198

PostSubject: Re: Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article)   Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article) Empty

Back to top Go down

Brown buys gifts for teammates that helped him succeed (article)
Page 1 of 1