Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJoey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones

Go down 
+4
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
SteelersCanada
OX1947
kirklandrules
8 posters
AuthorMessage
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones Empty
PostSubject: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones EmptyThu May 07, 2015 9:23 am

I heard this interview during the draft. It has been on Steelers Nation Radio replay for the past 5 or so days. Porter was speaking about the draftees and how the linebackers were shaping up for the upcoming season. When he spoke of Jones, it was obvious Porter likes that kid. I'll admit, I'm a biased fan of Jarvis Jones. I watch a ton of SEC football with a focus on Georgia and Alabama. Yeah, he had a lot of sacks. But what I liked about him coming out of college is that he was a disruptive force. We were starting to see some of that early last season before his injury. His play was causing disruption in the backfield.

Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote:
Jarvis Jones’ production since the Steelers chose him in the first round of the draft two years ago would fit snugly into a small shopping cart — three sacks.

There are legitimate reasons he has produced below their expectations, including pressing him into service too early as a rookie and a 2014 season ruined by a wrist injury so severe it required surgery and landed him on injured reserve for nine games.

Yet Joey Porter, someone who excelled playing the same right outside linebacker position and now coaches them for the Steelers, thinks highly of his linebacker entering his third season.

Full article here:
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/05/07/Steelers-assistant-Joey-Porter-speaks-highly-of-Jarvis-Jones/stories/201505070045
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones EmptyThu May 07, 2015 9:29 am

Who's gonna say it first?
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones EmptyThu May 07, 2015 10:00 am

"I thought Jarvis was playing good last year until he got hurt,” Porter said. “So it doesn’t bother me on how it ended last year with Jarvis. I still think he is one of the better linebackers in the league and he will be that. It just hasn’t happened yet.”

Huh. Imagine that.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones EmptyThu May 07, 2015 10:06 am

Joey feels similarly to I do that JJ was playing good until he got hurt. He looked good in the Carolina game. Now he does need to improve but I would not be surprised at all if he had a breakout year this year either.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones EmptyThu May 07, 2015 10:59 am

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
Joey feels similarly to I do that JJ was playing good until he got hurt. He looked good in the Carolina game. Now he does need to improve but I would not be surprised at all if he had a breakout year this year either.

Agreed. If Javis continued the rest of the year similar to what he did in the first 2.5 games, he would have been a 10 sack guy last year. He was getting good penetration and disrupting plays in the backfield. I don't discount the idea that we haven't seen anything from him yet. That's a fact. So it is time for him to put it up this year, or suffer the criticism. I know he can do it, it's just a matter of staying healthy.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones EmptyThu May 07, 2015 11:00 am

OX1947 wrote:
Who's gonna say it first?

Thanks for the softball .... SUPERBOWL all the way!
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones EmptyThu May 07, 2015 11:13 am

kirklandrules wrote:
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:

Agreed. If Javis continued the rest of the year similar to what he did in the first 2.5 games, he would have been a 10 sack guy last year. He was getting good penetration and disrupting plays in the backfield. I don't discount the idea that we haven't seen anything from him yet. That's a fact. So it is time for him to put it up this year, or suffer the criticism. I know he can do it, it's just a matter of staying healthy.
yes, I think health is JJ's issue going forward. Of course if JJ doesn't get hurt, there's no return of Harrison and I think Harrison's return will prove invaluable for the lessons that he can teach young guys like JJ, Bud, Ryan, and the other young linebackers. Harrison is almost like having another coach out there except he's one that can tackle the opposing players. One last year of Deebo is going mean a lot for our young linebackers.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones EmptyThu May 07, 2015 11:42 am

SteelersCanada wrote:
"I thought Jarvis was playing good last year until he got hurt,” Porter said. “So it doesn’t bother me on how it ended last year with Jarvis. I still think he is one of the better linebackers in the league and he will be that. It just hasn’t happened yet.”

Huh. Imagine that.

At this point, that's all that we can do.... imagine it...
Back to top Go down
cali_fan
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones EmptySat May 09, 2015 4:52 am

I think Jones (if healthy) will his break out year finally
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones EmptySat May 09, 2015 7:44 am

I'm also in the camp that thinks if JJ stays healthy he will be a big part of the defensive resurgence.

He was a " disruptive force prior to his injury last season.

On a side note, Porter also implied they are going to try to get young guys on the field sooner and utilize their strengths.

Let's hope.

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones EmptySat May 09, 2015 5:00 pm

I would love to see Jarvis Jones break out this season. However, i think if he has another poor season, due to injury, or due to ANYTHING, he can safely be considered a bust. 3 shitty seasons in a row after being a first round pick, well you run out of viable excuses after a while.

PostSubject: Re: Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones   Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones Empty

Back to top Go down

Joey Porter Speaks Highly of Jarvis Jones
Page 1 of 1