Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWhy Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined

Go down 
+8
DesertSteel
SteelersYak
JonM229
Atlanta Dan
Craziaskowboi
harrison'samonster
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
SteelCityUnderground
12 posters
AuthorMessage
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined Empty
PostSubject: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 11:55 am

We all know the story by now: after Antonio Brown was nearly knocked out with a vicious hit by Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict, a series of events transpired which lead to another 15 yard penalty on Bengals CB Adam "Pacman" Jones.

The penalties put the Steelers into position for the game-winning field goal, so naturally, the losing side had it's share of complaints, including accusations from Burfict and Jones about Pittsburgh linebackers coach Joey Porter, his presence of the field and things he may or may not have said.

On his weekly radio show, Ben Roethlisberger was asked about Porter, a defensive coach, being on the field when an offensive player, Brown, was injured:

"Honestly Joey comes out there to help AB off the field."

"It think it makes a lot of sense that Joey's out there. Offensive coaches aren't going to go out there, because they're, we're trying to draw up plays, for the next, for ya know, the next play, to move the ball down the field."

"So Joey's still a passionate guy, he's a young coach, he's gonna be able to help, if he needs to carry him off, help get him off the field. I think it makes a lot of sense that Joey's out there to, ya know, help a player off the field."

Aside from the practical reason, logically, a football team is an extended family and when they see a teammate go down, they're going to be concerned. However, the Bengals will have you believe that a coach has no place out there, despite Cincinnati's coaches being on the field at the same time.

Read More (with Video) - http://www.steelcityunderground.com/2016/01/13/why-joey-porter-should-not-be-fined/

http://steelcityunderground.com
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Agree with this. There was no controversy when Cincy's coaches came on to the field after the Shazier hit on Bernard. It's well within the rules if a guy looks pretty hard for a coach to come on and help him off which was the case with Bernard and Brown. The difference though is the Steelers players didn't jaw it with the Cincy asst's while Burfict, Gilberry, and Jones did with Porter and even got physical.
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 12:11 pm

if you ask me this all comes down to the fact that the NFL doesn't enforce it's own rules consistently and will continue to see controversy like this

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 12:24 pm

harrison'samonster wrote:
if you ask me this all comes down to the fact that the NFL doesn't enforce it's own rules consistently and will continue to see controversy like this
That's exactly right.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 12:31 pm

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
That's exactly right.

BINGO! Same thing happened with Tomlin being on the field during Jacoby Jones' punt return. You saw idiots like Jim Harbaugh walking around the field during play all the time, but only when it became "interference" was it ever a problem (not to say Tomlin wasn't guilty, only he really knows that answer.)

Craziaskowboi

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 1:08 pm

It's the 'KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS' of the NFL rule book: More effort was put into making the rule then has ever been put into enforcing it.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined 1797695198

As a follow- up to yesterday's slow-mo film on Burfict's hit to the head of AB, today's Zapruder like film breaks down Joey Porter, Vontaze Burfict and Wallace Gilberry chatting after Brown is led off the field

Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 2:04 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:

As a follow- up to yesterday's slow-mo film on Burfict's hit to the head of AB, today's Zapruder like film breaks down Joey Porter, Vontaze Burfict and Wallace Gilberry chatting after Brown is led off the field

Same video in the link on my original post...

Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 2:11 pm

SteelCityUnderground wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:

Sorry - not trying to steal your thunder - I embedded the video for those who might not click on the link to your story Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined 230572241
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 2:13 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:

Sorry - not trying to steal your thunder - I embedded the video for those who might not click on the link to your story Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined 230572241

No worries. It's that video that made me beat the dead horse a little more! I'm really peeved that Joey would be in ANY trouble for this. He's really only guilty of being on the field, tending to one of our players. No different than when the Cincy coaches were out there with Bernard.

Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 2:39 pm

No worries. It's that video that made me beat the dead horse a little more! I'm really peeved that Joey would be in ANY trouble for this. He's really only guilty of being on the field, tending to one of our players. No different than when the Cincy coaches were out there with Bernard.

And Gilberry is getting a free ride as the story line is the unholy trinity of Porter, PacMan and Burfict

Of course Gilberry and the Steelers have a past Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined 1797695198

This from the December game in Cincinnati

Ramon Foster, among others, had called out Burfict for celebrating after he ended Le'Veon Bell's season with a hit Nov. 1 that tore his MCL.

"You want to play dirty football, we have to protect our players," tackle Marcus Gilbert said.

"We have no respect for a guy like that," Gilbert said and added defensive lineman Wallace Gilberry to his list. "Obviously, Gilberry didn't do anything today at all. He's just a guy who talks."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin could be seen shouting at Gilberry and some Bengals players in the game

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/12/14/On-the-Steelers-Steelers-punch-back-knock-Bengals-for-loop-33-20/stories/201512140097

Maybe the Bengals defensive coordinator who was upset Porter yelled at his players can express the same concerns about Coach Tomlin
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 3:04 pm

This just looks worse and worse for the Bengals. While I'm sad for Hue Jackson having to work for the Browns, the Bengals certainly don't deserve him.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Why should Joey Porter not be fined? Because the 9 coaches for the Bengals that were on the field during their injury aren't going to be fined. Why wasn't there conflict with them? Because the Steelers don't play dirty football and try to start conflict with the coaches.

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm

BINGO! Same thing happened with Tomlin being on the field during Jacoby Jones' punt return.

Sorry, but honestly, that's not even close to the same situation.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 1:18 am

Porter shouldn't be fined because nobody ever bats an eye at this when it happens during the course of almost every single game. Nobody cared when the Bengals had 9 coaches/staff on the field during the Bernard injury, and nobody cared about the 3-4 Bengals coaches/staff on the field during Antonio Brown's injury either. The singular reason it's being brought up is because people saw Pacman Jones get into it with Porter, they ignore the fact that Wallace Gilberry was the one that started it with Porter, and Pacman Jones just couldn't resist jumping in.

If they want to play the blame game, they should blame that ignorant dumbass Pacman for not being able to keep his emotions in check and giving us a free 15 yards and a much easier FG attempt. They have nobody to blame but themselves for that loss. The game should have been won for them when Landry Jones threw that idiotic interception, and then Jeremy Hill decided to fumble the ball away in one of the most epic turnovers that I've ever personally seen in a playoff game.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 1:15 pm

DesertSteel wrote:

BINGO! Same thing happened with Tomlin being on the field during Jacoby Jones' punt return.

Sorry, but honestly, that's not even close to the same situation.

Well I have to agree to disagree and here's why.

The NFL wants to fine Tomlin for irresponsibly being on the field during that punt return and interfering with it, which he did, no matter the intent.

Now was his intent to do exactly that? I'm not a mind reader so I can't judge intent there.

But my point, more or less, is what was said in other comments here. You have thick white boundary lines. You mean to tell me the coaches, players or any other personnel MUST step beyond those? Does that extra 3-5 steps from where they are SUPPOSED to stand really give them any advantage in coaching their team? No it doesn't!

You see coaches standing out in the field of play relaying instructions, or getting into it with a referee, or whatever be the case, and there's really no logical reason for it. That white line should be an invisible wall. End of story!

LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 4:49 pm

At this point it would seem no one else will be fined for the game. At least the Bengals have the Pro Bowl to look forward to:

Coley Harvey ESPN Staff Writer wrote:
Bengals DE Carlos Dunlap just received a Pro Bowl roster spot after Jets DE Muhammed Wilkerson pulled out of the game due to injury. That makes six Bengals slated to play in the Pro Bowl.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 9:23 am

I was listening to Shannon Sharpe this morning on NFL Radio addressing the Shazier hit and the Joey Porter incident. It amazes me how someone can be so talented that they are a Hall of Famer, and yet be so completely devoid of intelligence.

He believes the Shazier hit was illegal, and posted on his Twitter page "Read the rules" with a link to that rule addressing helmet to helmet hits. Naturally my response was to tell him to comprehend the rules, and that it was perplexing that a HoF can't understand the rules. People are interpreting it how they want to, the rule is for a player lining up another player and going straight at the head. The Shazier hit was a bang-bang play and the helmet contact was purely incidental. I don't believe for one second that Shazier was trying to hit Bernard in the head. He was coming in to make that hit before Bernard was completely turned, and he never launched himself at him, or left his feet.

As for the Joey Porter incident, Mr. Not-so-Sharpe believes that Joey Porter should have been flagged because the rule says so! Why are people so fucking braindead about coaches being on the field for injuries. IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AND WE NEVER SEE FLAGS. It just so happened that an incident occurred this time because Thugman Jones couldn't control himself, as usual. By rule, Porter shouldn't have been on the field, but its an obscure rule, that is never, ever enforced. I don't recall a single time in all my time watching NFL football that a flag was thrown for a coach being on the field during an injury. Sharpe and other detractors also completely, and totally ignore the fact that there were some 9 Bengals coaches, and staffers on the field during Bernard's injury, and at least 3 of them on the field during Antonio Brown's injury. Guess they should've been throwing about 12-13 flags out there those officials.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 9:31 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I was listening to Shannon Sharpe this morning on NFL Radio addressing the Shazier hit and the Joey Porter incident. It amazes me how someone can be so talented that they are a Hall of Famer, and yet be so completely devoid of intelligence.

The skill set required to be a great football player does not necessarily transfer to having a clue about anything else, including the rules of the game you played. Sharpe dressed up well but spouted nonsense when he was on the CBS pregame show until they canned him.
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 9:33 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:

The skill set required to be a great football player does not necessarily transfer to having a clue about anything else, including the rules of the game you played.  Sharpe dressed up well but spouted nonsense when he was on the CBS pregame show until they canned him.    

Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined 3964572787

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 9:36 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Sharpe dressed up well but spouted nonsense when he was on the CBS pregame show until they canned him.    

That's assuming you could actually understand what he was saying.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin

Last edited by JonM229 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 9:39 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:

He believes the Shazier hit was illegal, and posted on his Twitter page "Read the rules" with a link to that rule addressing helmet to helmet hits. Naturally my response was to tell him to comprehend the rules, and that it was perplexing that a HoF can't understand the rules. People are interpreting it how they want to, the rule is for a player lining up another player and going straight at the head. The Shazier hit was a bang-bang play and the helmet contact was purely incidental. I don't believe for one second that Shazier was trying to hit Bernard in the head. He was coming in to make that hit before Bernard was completely turned, and he never launched himself at him, or left his feet.

As for the Joey Porter incident, Mr. Not-so-Sharpe believes that Joey Porter should have been flagged because the rule says so! Why are people so fucking braindead about coaches being on the field for injuries. IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AND WE NEVER SEE FLAGS. It just so happened that an incident occurred this time because Thugman Jones couldn't control himself, as usual. By rule, Porter shouldn't have been on the field, but its an obscure rule, that is never, ever enforced. I don't recall a single time in all my time watching NFL football that a flag was thrown for a coach being on the field during an injury. Sharpe and other detractors also completely, and totally ignore the fact that there were some 9 Bengals coaches, and staffers on the field during Bernard's injury, and at least 3 of them on the field during Antonio Brown's injury. Guess they should've been throwing about 12-13 flags out there those officials.

Sometimes I like what Sharpe has to say, but I'm glad I missed this one.

FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 9:45 am

JonM229 wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Sharpe dressed up well but spouted nonsense when he was on the CBS pregame show until they canned him.    

That's assuming you could actually understand what he was saying.

Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined 3964572787

Every time I heard him I always wondered, "how the hell did this guy get a job that requires you to inform people by talking?"  Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined 1505004552
Back to top Go down
QueenstownPa
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 9:53 am

This.......and the simple fact that coaches on the field during a potentially serious injury happens EVERY SINGLE GAME!

EVERY
SINGLE
GAME!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined   Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined Empty

Back to top Go down

Why Joey Porter Should Not Be Fined
Page 1 of 1