Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers move on from Joey Porter Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers move on from Joey Porter

Go down 
+9
LambertWardSteel
Mach1
muncher
jak341
Lokki
solardave
Shalieve5090
Wallace108
Great Randino
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Great Randino

Steelers move on from Joey Porter Empty
PostSubject: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:03 pm

Just came over the wire.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:05 pm

And so it begins ...

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Now say goodbye to Butler
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:07 pm

From Mike Tomlin: “These are difficult decisions when it comes to someone like Joey who has meant a lot to this organization as both a player and coach. I want to thank Joey for his coaching efforts over the past five years.”

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

So far so good.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:20 pm

I think they will keep Butler.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:33 pm

nine vegetable wrote:

I don't know. I hope not. What ever the talent level we have in 2019 we need someone who can maximize it.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:41 pm

solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

I don't know. I hope not. What ever the talent level we have in 2019 we need someone who can maximize it.

Just tossing this out there... what about Marvin Lewis as DC if we get rid of Butler? He wasn't the best head coach, but he was the DC for Baltimore back when they won their first super bowl and he has been a linebackers coach for us before.

I'm not sure how much of the Baltimore D was him and how much of it was the players at the time though. They were pretty damn aggressive and stout back then though.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Good start, now keep going.
Back to top Go down
muncher

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:55 pm

lol................yup. porter was the problem.
i cant believe this Lb coach was allowed to let this whole team go in the shitter like he did.
seems like tomlin would have been able to easily fire this guy during the season for the attitude and culture of the whole team.
super bowl for sure now.
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 1:32 pm

Tomlin wont let his scapegoat Butler go.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
muncher

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Mach1 wrote:
Tomlin wont let his scapegoat Butler go.

absolutely. its been reported for some time now that tomlin is calling the shots on defense.
so, as long as you have a DC to blame, why would you fire him?
tomlin isnt a good coach, but he isnt stupid
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Lokki wrote:
solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

Just tossing this out there... what about Marvin Lewis as DC if we get rid of Butler?  He wasn't the best head coach, but he was the DC for Baltimore back when they won their first super bowl and he has been a linebackers coach for us before.

I'm not sure how much of the Baltimore D was him and how much of it was the players at the time though.  They were pretty damn aggressive and stout back then though.    

Butler is an "awe shucks" kind of guy. Lewis is also mild in temperament. Maybe I'm just being narrow minded, but I think this defense needs someone who will light a fire under their ass. Someone like Greg Williams. (That was difficult to type.)

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 2:53 pm

We can talk about what we think should be done, who should be fired, replaced, etc (that's what a forum is for, after all), but in the end, it won't make a difference. In my opinion, Butler will stay.

Heck, AB might stay, too, when all is said and done.

And Tomlin will stay. As will Fichtner. As for Danny Smith, well....he might not make it.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 4:28 pm

This is way too little. I'm not against Porter being fired and I'm all for trying a new hand to coach the LBs, but he didn't pick the LBs he coached and he didn't come up with the defensive game plans. Tomlin isn't going anywhere or he wouldn't be making these firings. But Butler should if he isn't capable enough to do the job w/o Tomlin taking some of the duties from him.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 4:34 pm

Tomlin maybe should have held onto Porter considering he contributed at the end of the Cincy playoff game drawing penalties that helped win one of Tomlin's 3 playoff wins the last 10 years

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 5:59 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Lokki wrote:
solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

Just tossing this out there... what about Marvin Lewis as DC if we get rid of Butler?  He wasn't the best head coach, but he was the DC for Baltimore back when they won their first super bowl and he has been a linebackers coach for us before.

I'm not sure how much of the Baltimore D was him and how much of it was the players at the time though.  They were pretty damn aggressive and stout back then though.    

Butler is an "awe shucks" kind of guy. Lewis is also mild in temperament. Maybe I'm just being narrow minded, but I think this defense needs someone who will light a fire under their ass. Someone like Greg Williams. (That was difficult to type.)

To me Burfict brought the same dysfunction to the Bengals as AB brings us and Lewis did nothing. IMO he'd be the same as a DC. I don't understand your last sentence. I'd love for us to pick up Williams as our new DC.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 6:01 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:
Tomlin maybe should have held onto Porter considering he contributed at the end of the Cincy playoff game drawing penalties that helped win one of Tomlin's 3 playoff wins the last 10 years
That was another case of officials being incompetent. By rule Porter should not have been on the field. That was one we got away with.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 6:49 pm

solardave wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
Lokki wrote:
solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

To me Burfict brought the same dysfunction to the Bengals as AB brings us and Lewis did nothing. IMO he'd be the same as a DC. I don't understand your last sentence. I'd love for us to pick up Williams as our new DC.

Probably what he means is the bounty gate stuff with Gregg Williams. He's a great DC, but he brings his own share of drama wherever he goes. I live close to New Orleans and their defense was great their Super Bowl season, but then it all came out about him offering bounties for injuring opposing players. So you basically turn your whole defense into Suhs and Burficts. That's not exactly something that we need either.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 6:55 pm

I was just referring to the disgust of having to look yet again to someone from the Browns to have to bail us out. Steelers move on from Joey Porter 2981382511

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Porter was a great player, but as a coach he was a turd. That's good riddance there.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 9:29 pm

Just because you are great at something doesnt mean you can teach it. Being good at coaching and teaching is not an easy thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 11:59 pm

i am not against porter getting shit canned. he has had some high draft choice OLB's to develop and he failed miserably. BUT...porter didn't coach the Dbacks where communication failures ran rampant and were the biggest problem. Butler needs to go.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 3:51 am

Lokki wrote:
solardave wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
Lokki wrote:
solardave wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

Probably what he means is the bounty gate stuff with Gregg Williams.  He's a great DC, but he brings his own share of drama wherever he goes.  I live close to New Orleans and their defense was great their Super Bowl season, but then it all came out about him offering bounties for injuring opposing players.  So you basically turn your whole defense into Suhs and Burficts.  That's not exactly something that we need either.    

Yeah I forgot about that. Although we haven't seen that from the Browns.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 9:16 am

Rationale for Porter's dismissal?

https://twitter.com/DVEMike/status/1081314859977986050?s=20
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers move on from Joey Porter   Steelers move on from Joey Porter Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers move on from Joey Porter
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next