Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTPOP: Not your father's Steelers   Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

TPOP: Not your father's Steelers

Go down 
+4
Vis
El-Gonzo Jackson
pczach
teegre
8 posters
AuthorMessage
teegre

teegre

TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   Empty
PostSubject: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 4:20 pm

Here is my latest article for The Point of Pittsburgh.

These Are Not Your Father's Steelers
by Tigr Rowan

For majority of last season, Steelers fans lamented about this team not having a good defense. My family lambasted Jarvis Jones; my friends chastised Mike Mitchell; and internet posters grew more & more frustrated with Cortez Allen.

I kept reminding these fans that this Steelers team is not built like Steelers teams of old. I told them that this current Steelers defense is young, and conversely, that the only players on this roster who are in their primes are on the offensive side of the ball. Similarly, I repeatedly tried to convince them that once the offensive gels, it will carry this team to the promised land.

But, Steelers fans being Steelers fans, they did not want to hear anything about offense. And, understandably so.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/these-are-not-your-fathers-steelers/

Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Well done Teeg!

In the famous words of Rockhound........"It's time to embrace the horror!"

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 5:30 pm

pczach wrote:
Well done Teeg!

In the famous words of Rockhound........"It's time to embrace the horror!"

Thanks, brother.  

I love that quote.  The other Rockhound quote that I use is: "You wanna compare brain pans?"

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 6:23 pm

I dont think its by design to have a sub par defense. Its just the drafting of players like Ziggy Hood, Jarvis Jones, Jason Worilds, Chris Carter, Bruce Davis and others that didnt really pan out that set them back further on Defense.

Getting good players in Ben, Brown, Bell, Miller, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert on the Offensive side of the ball helps.
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 8:18 pm

teegre wrote:

by Tigr Rowan  

For majority of last season, Steelers fans lamented about this team not having a good defense. My family lambasted Jarvis Jones; my friends chastised Mike Mitchell; and internet posters grew more & more frustrated with Cortez Allen.

I kept reminding these fans that this Steelers team is not built like Steelers teams of old. I told them that this current Steelers defense is young, and conversely, that the only players on this roster who are in their primes are on the offensive side of the ball. Similarly, I repeatedly tried to convince them that once the offensive gels, it will carry this team to the promised land.

But, Steelers fans being Steelers fans, they did not want to hear anything about offense. And, understandably so.  

Read more:  

apply those skills to storytime

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 8:20 pm

Another good read, Teeg! No doubt that it's the offense's time to shine and carry this team for awhile. At least until we can reload this defense and fully institute the new scheme.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 8:26 pm

grandpa's 70's Steelers had some great offensives. TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   1797695198

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 11:27 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
I dont think its by design to have a sub par defense.  Its just the drafting of players like Ziggy Hood, Jarvis Jones, Jason Worilds, Chris Carter, Bruce Davis and others that didnt really pan out that set them back further on Defense.

Getting good players in Ben, Brown, Bell, Miller, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert on the Offensive side of the ball helps.  

Not by design at all.

Whatever mojo the Steelers had for drafting LBs, has morphed into mojo for drafting WRs.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 11:29 pm

effyou515 wrote:
grandpa's 70's Steelers had some great offensives. TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   1797695198

Very true: Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth, Harris...

That said, Ben, Bell, Brown, & Bryant could be special.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 11:30 pm

Double post
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 11:32 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Another good read, Teeg! No doubt that it's the offense's time to shine and carry this team for awhile. At least until we can reload this defense and fully institute the new scheme.

Thanks, brother. Indeed... it is a strange time for Steelers fans: the offense is better than the defense.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Vis wrote:
teegre wrote:

by Tigr Rowan  

Read more:  

apply those skills to storytime

Heading there now...
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 12:08 am

teegre wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
I dont think its by design to have a sub par defense.  Its just the drafting of players like Ziggy Hood, Jarvis Jones, Jason Worilds, Chris Carter, Bruce Davis and others that didnt really pan out that set them back further on Defense.

Not by design at all.  

Whatever mojo the Steelers had for drafting LBs, has morphed into mojo for drafting WRs.  

I have always maintained that WR is the least important position in football, other than kickers and FB. A WR needs first the O line to keep the QB upright, then the QB to be good enough to make the read and throw.....then its up to the WR to have run a good route and make the catch.

Look at how Eric Decker was with Peyton Manning, vs Geno Smith. Mike Wallace with Ben vs Tannehill. I don't think its mojo....its Ben and an improved O line and run game that get the ball to the WR's. The OLB drafting still has sucked.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 11:16 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
teegre wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Not by design at all.  

I have always maintained that WR is the least important position in football, other than kickers and FB.  A WR needs first the O line to keep the QB upright, then the QB to be good enough to make the read and throw.....then its up to the WR to have run a good route and make the catch.

Look at how Eric Decker was with Peyton Manning, vs Geno Smith.  Mike Wallace with Ben vs Tannehill.  I don't think its mojo....its Ben and an improved O line and run game that get the ball to the WR's.  The OLB drafting still has sucked.

Good point. The WR position relies heavily on the QB and/or O-line. Plus, the passing rules allow guys like Welker to flourish.

Likewise, a decade ago, there was one team running the 3-4; today, half the leagues runs a 3-4. Joey Porter would have been no a top 20 pick in this past draft.

Regardless of why, the talent on this teams lies on offense (not defense).

Back to top Go down
HeinzMustard

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 11:34 am

Good article! I enjoyed reading it... and agree with everything that was said.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Agree Teeg, the talent of this team is on offense. I think the secret to success is finding the young talent before it comes to be too expensive (kind of like the Seahawks until they had to spend this season).

The key to future success will be getting young guys like Boykin, Gholson, Shazier, Tuitt, Dupree, Thomas.....contributing before they command contracts like Heyward, Timmons, Cortez Allen.

I think offensively, having guys like Coates around gives depth in the event Wheaton or Bryant dont sign a 2nd contract. Likewise, Villeneuva around if they cant sign Beachum and or Adams provides depth. IMO, need to find a young guard next year in anticipation of letting Foster's contract go and a young TE to replace Heath.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 12:15 am

HeinzMustard wrote:
Good article!  I enjoyed reading it... and agree with everything that was said.

Thanks, man. I appreciate the kind words.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 7:16 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
teegre wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Not by design at all.  

I have always maintained that WR is the least important position in football, other than kickers and FB.  A WR needs first the O line to keep the QB upright, then the QB to be good enough to make the read and throw.....then its up to the WR to have run a good route and make the catch.

Look at how Eric Decker was with Peyton Manning, vs Geno Smith.  Mike Wallace with Ben vs Tannehill.  I don't think its mojo....its Ben and an improved O line and run game that get the ball to the WR's.  The OLB drafting still has sucked.

Solid read Teegre. Keep up the good work :)

I think the most disposable position is actually RB. The '08 Steelers top RB that season was supposed to be 'Fast' Willie Parker but was really more or less Mewelde Moore (who) and we all know how that season ended.

And I say RB because they're a dime a dozen, but valid points on WR being right up there depending on the system of course.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 8:05 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Agree Teeg, the talent of this team is on offense.  I think the secret to success is finding the young talent before it comes to be too expensive (kind of like the Seahawks until they had to spend this season).

The key to future success will be getting young guys like Boykin, Gholson, Shazier, Tuitt, Dupree, Thomas.....contributing before they command contracts like Heyward, Timmons, Cortez Allen.

I think offensively, having guys like Coates around gives depth in the event Wheaton or Bryant dont sign a 2nd contract.  Likewise, Villeneuva around if they cant sign Beachum and or Adams provides depth.  IMO, need to find a young guard next year in anticipation of letting Foster's contract go and a young TE to replace Heath.

Spot on.  

If you look at the majority of SuperBowl teams over the past 15 years, those teams hit on 3 or 4 guys in three straight drafts.  Like you said: you have Pro Bowl level talent, at basement prices.  

For example, the Seahawks hit on Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman, Maxwell, Irvin, Wagner, & Wilson.  Pro Bowlers on rookie contracts.  This freed up money to sign some good free agents (e.g. Lynch).  

The past few drafts for the Steelers should allow for them to legitimately compete for a title.  DeCastro, Beachum, Bell, Shazier, Tuitt, & Bryant are all cheap.  This allows them to pay BB, AB, & Heyward.

Last edited by teegre on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 8:11 am

SteelersNorth wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
teegre wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Not by design at all.  

I think the most disposable position is actually RB. The '08 Steelers top RB that season was supposed to be 'Fast' Willie Parker but was really more or less Mewelde Moore (who) and we all know how that season ended.

And I say RB because they're a dime a dozen, but valid points on WR being right up there depending on the system of course.

Thanks, man.

What's interesting is that RB used to be "the" position; it was drafted (overdrafted) in R1 on a regular basis. With rule changes, there has been two drafts in the past few years where no RBs were taken in R1.

They have a short career (most injured position). They are dependent on the O-line. And, again, the rule changes have devalued the position.

That said, I remember a coach (Parcells?) talking about how a RB has so many assignments, second only to the QB. The RB has to know his run plays, he has to know a route tree, he has to know blocking assignments... Simply, he is doing something on every single play.

Hence, you may not "need" an All Pro RB, but when you have one (LT, AP, Bell) his importance is glaringly obvious.

Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 11:39 am

teegre wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
teegre wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Not by design at all.  

Thanks, man.  

What's interesting is that RB used to be "the" position; it was drafted (overdrafted) in R1 on a regular basis.  With rule changes, there has been two drafts in the past few years where no RBs were taken in R1.  

They have a short career (most injured position).  They are dependent on the O-line.  And, again, the rule changes have devalued the position.  

That said, I remember a coach (Parcells?) talking about how a RB has so many assignments, second only to the QB.  The RB has to know his run plays, he has to know a route tree, he has to know blocking assignments...  Simply, he is doing something on every single play.  

Hence, you may not "need" an All Pro RB, but when you have one (LT, AP, Bell) his importance is glaringly obvious.  

No problem.

I find now (again personal opinion) that there are two different classes of 'backs' in today's NFL.
The North/South & The Complete Back.
The North/South guys to me are AP, DeMarco and Shady...although people say Shady is pretty decent out of the backfield I just didn't watch Philly enough to make a personal judgement.
The Complete Backs as of today are well just Bell really. As I haven't seen any RB able to really split out wide or be in the slot like him when they have done 5 wide.

But like you said having the exceptional guy does make a big difference.
Missing him...well just look at the Wild Card game this past season...urghhhhhh lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Not your father's Steelers    TPOP: Not your father's Steelers   Empty

Back to top Go down

TPOP: Not your father's Steelers
Page 1 of 1