Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeH.O.F  is it a Joke? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

H.O.F is it a Joke?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
blastfurness
Xtreme Newb
blastfurness

H.O.F  is it a Joke? Empty
PostSubject: H.O.F is it a Joke?   H.O.F  is it a Joke? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 8:13 am

Throwing this out there for all of you to think about but is the HOF turning into reality show? Can someone please explain the definition of a HOF player to me because I was always told two things that would qualify you for the HOF. First of course you have to be the best at your position and second when we are talking about the game of football will that player still be mention as person who changed the game . Now to me this year was the biggest embarrassment of induction ceremony that I have ever seen. Lets start with Shannon Sharpe let be serious was he really a tight end or a glorified W/R . Could he run block no, could he pass block no, when he was on both Denver and Baltimore did they not have another T/E to stay in an block yes. Was he used for anything other than catching the ball? could he line as the X.Y.Z in the passing a tree and make a catch yes but I think we know there are a lot better players still waiting to get in if you want to compare. (Chris Carter, Tim Brown) is the two I am thinking of off the top of my head. Ed Sable? Did he play in the NFL ? I know he has done a lot for the game but when they have HOF for a film editor he should be the first on the list. Deon Sanders this one almost to easy. We all know he couldn’t tackle, We know he couldn’t blitz, and his numbers as a C/B are really not that impressive but he had showman ship so I guess that count for something. Marshall, Marshall, Marshall, if he was as good as everyone says he was why did INDY trade him. To be honest Marshall was a good 3rd down back but if I had a choice between Roger Craig and Faulk, I would take Craig any day and twice on Sunday. Now to me I can understand Mr. Dent because he did revolutionize the D/e position . when people talk about Buddy Ryan famous 46 defense we all know that Dent was the foundation of that D not only did he have containment on the outside but he also rushed the passer and occasionally drop back in coverage when needed.
I think my attitude toward the HOF got scorned when they let that joke of a receiver in Michael Ervin because of his emotional breakdown. Do we give our kids everything they want when they cry. Heck no Ervin was just another receiver with decent numbers and a drug problem something to really tell your kids about.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: H.O.F is it a Joke?   H.O.F  is it a Joke? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 8:33 am

Shannon Sharpe revolutionized the game: he proved why ignorant idiots should not be given a microphone and face time. I absolutely cannot stand him as pre-game/post-game host. I mute it every time he talks because he has the IQ of a Polish sausage.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: H.O.F is it a Joke?   H.O.F  is it a Joke? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 11:15 am

Considering some of the players getting in and the ones not getting in...yeah, it's a joke.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION H.O.F  is it a Joke? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: H.O.F is it a Joke?   H.O.F  is it a Joke? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 11:40 am

Shannon Sharpe retired as the all-time leader among TEs in receptions TDs, and receiving yards. I agree that he was used more as a receiver than a traditional TE. With the success the Broncos had running the ball, they really didn't need him to stay in and block. That allowed them to take advantage of his receiving skills. Could he have been a good blocker if he was asked to do it? I don't know. But he did what he was asked to do, and he did it well. I think he deserved to get into the HOF, but not as early as he did.

As for Sanders, I tend to agree with you, BF. He was a great shutdown corner, but he wasn't a complete corner. Unlike Sharpe, who wasn't asked to stay in and block, Sanders was asked to make tackles ... and sucked at it. Part of sports is marketing, and Sanders marketed himself quite well. If something is said over and over again, people start to accept it as true. It was said for so long that Sanders was a great CB, that it became true. Again, I think he deserved to get in to the HOF, but not as early as he did.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: H.O.F is it a Joke?   H.O.F  is it a Joke? Empty

Back to top Go down

H.O.F is it a Joke?
Page 1 of 1