Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost

Go down 
+3
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
pczach
teegre
7 posters
AuthorMessage
teegre

teegre

TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   Empty
PostSubject: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 9:30 am

Here is my write-up of the Steelers-Broncos divisional game, specifically highlighting all of the things that led to the loss (not just Toussaint's fumble).

Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost
by Tiger Rowan

Let me start with a plea: leave Fitzgerald Toussaint alone. Yes, his fumble swung the momentum from Pittsburgh’s side to Denver’s. Yes, it was a heart-breaking gaff. And, yes, if there is one play that defines this game, it is that play.

But, Toussaint’s fumble is not the only reason that the Steelers lost the divisional playoff game against the Broncos.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/unlucky-number-seven-reasons-that-the-steelers-lost/

Feel free to pass this along to any Steelers fans... who would like salt poured into their wound.

No
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 9:58 am

When did Brad Wing sneak onto the field to ruin this game for us?

I don't know if that was intentional....but that's funny! TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   1664291743

I'm glad you brought up all the other opportunities this team had to jump on Denver early. They could have been up big on the Broncos, and taken them out of their game plan and comfort zone. Manning would have had to be more aggressive throwing the ball down the field, and many bad things could have happened to Manning and the Broncos in that scenario.

The bottom line is that the Steelers outplayed the Broncos and controlled the game for almost all of this game. Special teams played a huge role in this game. The Steelers offense and defense were constantly put behind the eight ball by the failures of the punting units. They would seemingly reverse the field position battle, only to have a horrible punt completely undo what took a lot of work and execution to gain.

Kudos to all the Steelers players for giving absolutely everything they had on the field. The effort was phenomenal, and they fought to the final gun.

In the words of our fearless leader: "The arrow is definitely pointing up......obviously!"

That was another great read teeg. Thanks for sharing this with us. I enjoy reading everything you write, and look forward to your thoughts in the future.

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 10:04 am

Gay dropped a key pick too and then Peyton immediately made him pay for it with a first down but that's part of your last drive. Anyhow, it's a tough loss but I'm confident we'll be back next year and will be better.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 10:09 am

pczach wrote:

I don't know if that was intentional....but that's funny! TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   1664291743

I'm glad you brought up all the other opportunities this team had to jump on Denver early. They could have been up big on the Broncos, and taken them out of their game plan and comfort zone. Manning would have had to be more aggressive throwing the ball down the field, and many bad things could have happened to Manning and the Broncos in that scenario.

The bottom line is that the Steelers outplayed the Broncos and controlled the game for almost all of this game. Special teams played a huge role in this game. The Steelers offense and defense were constantly put behind the eight ball by the failures of the punting units. They would seemingly reverse the field position battle, only to have a horrible punt completely undo what took a lot of work and execution to gain.

Kudos to all the Steelers players for giving absolutely everything they had on the field. The effort was phenomenal, and they fought to the final gun.

In the words of our fearless leader: "The arrow is definitely pointing up......obviously!"

That was another great read teeg. Thanks for sharing this with us. I enjoy reading everything you write, and look forward to your thoughts in the future.

In my defense, Jordan Berry has only been the punter for the entire season. TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   1505004552

Yep. If the Sreekers had been up 28-6 or even 21-6, it would have forced Manning to pass more. The one thing that Denver could do was run, and the 10-6 score allowed them to do just that.

Thank you for the kind words.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 10:10 am

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
Gay dropped a key pick too and then Peyton immediately made him pay for it with a first down but that's part of your last drive. Anyhow, it's a tough loss but I'm confident we'll be back next year and will be better.

Absolutely. What hurt most about that was that I called for a Gay pick-six on that drive.

Maybe "I" jinxed it.

Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 10:28 am

teegre wrote:
pczach wrote:

In my defense, Jordan Berry has only been the punter for the entire season.   TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   1505004552

Yep.  If the Sreekers had been up 28-6 or even 21-6, it would have forced Manning to pass more.  The one thing that Denver could do was run, and the 10-6 score allowed them to do just that.  

Thank you for the kind words.  

Sreekers??? Man, you're on fire today! TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   3562723908

I'm sorry man, but I needed a good laugh today! That's awesome!

TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   1549491426

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 10:52 am

teegre wrote:

Absolutely.  What hurt most about that was that I called for a Gay pick-six on that drive.  

Maybe "I" jinxed it.  

DAMN YOU heh but yeah I mean it was just unfortunate. Honestly that we gave the Broncos that good of a game while pretty badly maimed I think says a lot. The Broncos were said to be pretty healthy too. Oh and Ben's the only QB that has passed over 300 yards against their D. Not even Mr. GOAT, Brady has done that and I don't think he will next Sunday either. I'm hoping Brady has a miserable day against the Broncos and throws five picks. and then Denver loses to the winner of Arizona or Carolina.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 12:12 pm

teegre wrote:

Absolutely.  What hurt most about that was that I called for a Gay pick-six on that drive.  

Maybe "I" jinxed it.  

Can't blame gay for dropping that one either, the bronco receiver got a hand in there to prevent the INT, it was a heads up play by the WR. If not for that it might have easily gone the other way
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 1:21 pm

great write up again teeg!

my opinion has not changed though......that fumble is the reason we lost the game

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 1:37 pm

Sorry teegre don't want to relive the misery too much...but

I hope Marcus Gilbert is in there....he's been a major under performer for us in his playoffs games.

ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 2:23 pm

I still think we should have attempted the field goals. McManus knocked one in from pretty far out if I remember correctly.

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 7:40 am

pczach wrote:
Sreekers??? Man, you're on fire today! TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   3562723908

I'm sorry man, but I needed a good laugh today! That's awesome!

TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   1549491426

It has been one of those days... TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   294855916

( TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   1797695198 )

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 7:42 am

I'm hoping Brady has a miserable day against the Broncos and throws five picks. and then Denver loses to the winner of Arizona or Carolina.

I agree 100%.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 7:45 am

Fire Arians wrote:

Can't blame gay for dropping that one either, the bronco receiver got a hand in there to prevent the INT, it was a heads up play by the WR. If not for that it might have easily gone the other way

Yep. Sanders became the defender, and broke up the pick-six.

I've relived that one play more than all of the other "miscues" combined. Not only would it have given the Steelers 7 points (and taken away the Broncos 8 points), it would have sealed the game.

Alas...

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 7:46 am

vasteeler wrote:
great write up again teeg!

my opinion has not changed though......that fumble is the reason we lost the game

Thank you for the kind words... and, you're not alone in feeling this way.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 7:49 am

SteelerSpartan wrote:
Sorry teegre don't want to relive the misery too much...but

I hope Marcus Gilbert is in there....he's been a major under performer for us in his playoffs games.

I hear you. This one was painful (because, it was the Steelers' to lose).

IMO, Gilbert has done well, except for two plays:
--Burfict's sack that caused BB's shoulder injury
--Ware's sack that (essentially) ended that game

But, those two were back-breakers.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 7:56 am

ImperialFan wrote:
I still think we should have attempted the field goals. McManus knocked one in from pretty far out if I remember correctly.

Different situations.  

The Steelers had the lead, and Denver had done nothing on offense.  Punting pinned them deep in their own territory.  (If not for a hold and a long CJ Anderson run, it would have given the Steelers the ball in great field position.)  

The Broncos could not even get a first down.  Jordan Wing ( TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   2981382511 ) shanked a punt which had given th Broncos the ball in long field-goal range.  The Broncos were playing with "house money", because they were gifted that field position in the first place; missing that FG would have merely given the Steelers the ball back at about where the original line-of-scrimmage shoukd have been (before the shank had occurred).  

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost    TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost   Empty

Back to top Go down

TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost
Page 1 of 1