Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRound 1, welcome Artie Burns... Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...

Go down 
+28
fer69
Fire Arians
kirklandrules
El-Gonzo Jackson
IowaSteeler927
JPPT1974
Steeler-in-west
Stryker
BlackAndGold
DesertSteel
SteelCityUnderground
Men of Steel
jak341
HeinzMustard
rellimie
solardave
Scottish Steeler
BKAnthem
PhantomJB93
Hawaii 5-0
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
SteelerSpartan
effyou515
Steeler Zach
kan_t
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
LambertWardSteel
SoCalFan
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... Empty
PostSubject: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:15 pm

A corner with the last name Burns??? Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... 3562723908

Lets hope for the best! Simply press mute!

Last edited by SoCalFan on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:17 pm

Welcome. Hopefully a long and distinguished Steeler career.

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Welcome Artie.
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:26 pm

I want Billings but it's hard for me to bet against any first round pick they made. Even their 'disappointment' picks were solid starters in the past. Based on how quick they submitted the pick, they must really like him and I'm not sure they would pick Jackson III even if he's still here.

Last time they picked a DB in the first round, they hit a HR. Hopefully they hit another one this time.
Back to top Go down
Steeler Zach

Steeler Zach

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:27 pm

Hasn't even broken up a single pass. What a scrub.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:28 pm

kan_t wrote:
I want Billings but it's hard for me to bet against any first round pick they made. Even their 'disappointment' picks were solid starters in the past. Based on how quick they submitted the pick, they must really like him and I'm not sure they would pick Jackson III even if he's still here.

Last time they picked a DB in the first round, they hit a HR. Hopefully they hit another one this time.
That's what I was thinking. They made the pick quickly. They must really like him. Man really disappointed that NFL Network hasn't talked more about him. As I said in the other thread, I really think the team is trying to create a team that creates a lot of turnovers judging by their picks the last couple years.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:28 pm

kan_t wrote:

Well said. They've really done well in the 2nd round of late. Maybe pull safety or DL gold tomorrow

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:31 pm

like the pick 5' 11 with length zone guy,

tall enough to fight for the ball but a little shorter then the taller WRs to changes direction a little quicker.

needs some coaching to be coach into the Steelers way of playing defense.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:33 pm

This may have already been posted, but Mike Mayock had this to say about him:

Quote :
Burns is a tall cornerback and he has world-class speed. He's very raw. I know teams with a third-round grade on Burns and others that believe he could end up the best corner in this draft.

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:36 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:

Quote :
Burns is a tall cornerback and he has world-class speed. He's very raw. I know teams with a third-round grade on Burns and others that believe he could end up the best corner in this draft.
Obviously we're among the latter. It's an interesting choice. I really thought it would be one of Billings/Jackson III/Joseph. As said, they obviously really like him as he was chosen quickly.
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Not sure how much he'll help us out this year....he'd have to really curbstomp the rest of our corners for our coaches to "trust" him with a good chunk of playing time over the "proven" vets.

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:53 pm

It's probably for the best that he won't be expected to start right away. Gives him time to learn our defense. Does anyone know if he can return kicks?
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 12:07 am

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
It's probably for the best that he won't be expected to start right away. Gives him time to learn our defense. Does anyone know if he can return kicks?

He can return picks.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 12:14 am

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:

He can return picks.
I do like knowing that. I always worry about AB back there even though he's good at it. Anyhow this kid seems like a good kid. He wasn't my first choice but I hope we're all saying Boo-urns for many years to come heh. The good thing is I don't think we have to worry about character with this kid. He has my respect. Only 21 years old and raising three kids (his son and two younger siblings) with his girlfriend. Mom passed away and Dad's behind bars but his grandparents are in his life too which is good.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 12:33 am

LambertWardSteel wrote:

Quote :

Does Doran Grant have world class speed then? Grant ran a 4.44 at the combine and Burns ran a 4.46 at the combine.

Watch his Nebraska game and you see Brandon Reilly and Stanley Morgan run away from him. Burns is a hurdler, good technique over hurdles, but not as a CB. Lance Zeirline has him on his list of boom or busts and I see a lot of poor technique, not great change of direction and hip turn that don't translate well. Hope for the best, but he doesn't look the part to me.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 12:46 am

Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... Artie%20Burns1_zpsuuaafbox
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 1:09 am

I'm okay with this pick. Not ecstatic but I feel the same way I did when we picked Ryan Shazier (another player I just didn't expect to go as high as we picked him) and I tend to trust the front office. They certainly had plenty of options on the DL and OLB still on the board so they must have truly liked this guy to finally go CB.

We are definitely going to be getting a good player in R2 at a position of need. Billings, Jarran Reed, AShawn Robinson, Myles Jack, Kevin Dodd, Noah Spence, Sua Cravens, Von Bell, Jeremy Cash, even MacKensie Alexander and Kendall Fuller if we wanted to double up on CB for some reason. I might be even more excited for or R2 pick because I thought at 25 we might have to reach for somebody (we sort of did), and now I feel pretty confident that in R2 somebody who should have gone higher will fall into our laps.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 1:39 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
I'm okay with this pick.  Not ecstatic but I feel the same way I did when we picked Ryan Shazier (another player I just didn't expect to go as high as we picked him) and I tend to trust the front office.  They certainly had plenty of options on the DL and OLB still on the board so they must have truly liked this guy to finally go CB.

We are definitely going to be getting a good player in R2 at a position of need. Billings, Jarran Reed, AShawn Robinson, Myles Jack, Kevin Dodd, Noah Spence, Sua Cravens, Von Bell, Jeremy Cash, even MacKensie Alexander and Kendall Fuller if we wanted to double up on CB for some reason.  I might be even more excited for or R2 pick because I thought at 25 we might have to reach for somebody (we sort of did), and now I feel pretty confident that in R2 somebody who should have gone higher will fall into our laps.

That's kind of how I am feeling. I admit to feeling a bit let down, if not somewhat shocked they still went CB after Jackson was gone. That said I trust in the front office over the long haul. Maybe hoping/reading too much into this, but makes me feel like they are seeing something as quickly as they picked him. Impossible to know right now. Hopefully he turns into a Pro Bowler. I'm looking forward to Rd 2. Maybe a Bell-Tuitt type level player waiting...maybe another AB in the 6th Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... 2981382511
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 1:45 am

Steelers select CB Artie Burns at No. 25

Posted by Zac Jackson on April 28, 2016

Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... 487817922-e1461898735337

The Steelers selected Miami (Fla.) cornerback Artie Burns with the No. 25 pick in the first round.

Burns was also a college track star and is an early entry to the draft. He was a two-year starter at cornerback who had six interceptions last season.

The Steelers did not hide their interest in many defensive backs but saw Karl Joseph, at No. 14 to the Raiders, and Keanu Neal, at No. 17 to the Falcons, come off the ahead of most projections. Then the Bengals took cornerback William Jackson at No. 24.

Burns ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds at the Scouting Combine. Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin called Burns “a good piece of clay to mold in 2016.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/28/steelers-select-cb-artie-burns-at-no-25/
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 2:27 am

SteelerSpartan wrote:
Not sure how much he'll help us out this year....he'd have to really curbstomp the rest of our corners for our coaches to "trust" him with a good chunk of playing time over the "proven" vets.

An vet slot CB who only excels in Zone force to start on the outside...a 2nd round CB who hasn't played..a 4th round CB that was cut for a street free agent, and a starting CB signed off the street because the 4th round CB couldn't cut it, and one of the worst secondary rankings in the NFL.....I think it's safe to say he won't have much trouble curb stomping anyone
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 2:36 am

Boykin probably thought the same thing

IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 3:14 am

Not in love with the pick. Gut feeling just not good with this one. I like what I've seen on tape from William Jackson, over what I've seen of Artie Burns. Was pretty pissed when the Bungles ended up with Jackson, though I don't know if the Steelers would've taken him had he still been on the board or not over Burns. I just don't love this pick, but I am sincerely hoping that Artie Burns proves me wrong. I just felt with all the losses in our secondary this offseason that our depth is very thin right now, and I was really hoping for a guy that could come in and play right away and I don't get that vibe with Burns. Burns is raw. He has the intangibles, he has the raw athletic ability, but you can have all the athletic ability in the world and still fail at the NFL level.

I guess the Steelers see something in the kid, the pick was in in what seemed like mere seconds, so they were obviously very sure as to who they wanted. So I'm hoping this kid turns out to be really good.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Scottish Steeler
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 3:51 am

BURNS YE SAY? Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... 2287965686 A fine Scottish name...and if it isn't Scottish then it's CRAP!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 4:19 am

LambertWardSteel wrote:

Quote :

I respect Mayock. Burns lost his Mother during the combine and his father is in prison. He is supporting his siblings and has a child of his own so I think his character is Strong. I have mixed emotions here because of the "raw" factor but on the other hand I hope his heart is immeasurable. Also it was already said a couple times at least they picked him fast so "Here We Go". Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... 1647293567
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 4:36 am

Dulac in his chat before the draft said that they're going to pick CB in the first round and he nailed it. It's nothing special because everyone knows that they need CB. What interested me was that someone asked him about Apple who may not fit to the zone scheme and he responded that the Steelers were not worry about it. Like Apple, Burns is better suited at man-to-man given his skill sets. Wonder if there is something going in regard to the scheme adjustment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...   Round 1, welcome Artie Burns... Empty

Back to top Go down

Round 1, welcome Artie Burns...
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next