Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSo what's The word so far on Artie Burns? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?

Go down 
+7
FrancoLambert
Shalieve5090
jak341
SteelerFreak58
schillah
El-Gonzo Jackson
BKAnthem
11 posters
AuthorMessage
BKAnthem

So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? Empty
PostSubject: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 4:28 pm

I live in NY so i'm Limited in my views of the Steelers, But he's looked ok to me in games i've seen, and doesn't he lead the Team in Picks and Passes Defensed?
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 5:00 pm

Here is what PFF said about him a month ago when they ranked the performance of all the 31 first round picks.

25. Artie Burns, CB, Steelers (University of Miami)

Snaps: 239

Overall grade: 50.1

Much of the downgrades Burns has received have been in the run game, and his six missed tackles lead all rookie cornerbacks, but his coverage has been less than stellar, too. He has allowed 70.8 percent of the passes thrown his way to be caught, and is giving up a passer rating of 108.0 when targeted.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-how-all-31-first-round-picks-have-played-this-season/

He doesn't have great technique and his 2 INT's were underthrows, but I am pleasantly surprised with his progress. I hope he continues to progress and work hard to improve, because I really thought he looked raw coming out of college.

Lets hope he continues to get better for the next couple seasons and not plateau at the end of this season.
Back to top Go down
schillah

schillah

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 5:47 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Here is what PFF said about him a month ago when they ranked the performance of all the 31 first round picks.

Much of the downgrades Burns has received have been in the run game, and his six missed tackles lead all rookie cornerbacks, but his coverage has been less than stellar, too. He has allowed 70.8 percent of the passes thrown his way to be caught, and is giving up a passer rating of 108.0 when targeted.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-how-all-31-first-round-picks-have-played-this-season/

He doesn't have great technique and his 2 INT's were underthrows, but I am pleasantly surprised with his progress.  I hope he continues to progress and work hard to improve, because I really thought he looked raw coming out of college.

Lets hope he continues to get better for the next couple seasons and not plateau at the end of this season.  

pretty accurate

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 6:57 pm

schillah wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

He doesn't have great technique and his 2 INT's were underthrows, but I am pleasantly surprised with his progress.  I hope he continues to progress and work hard to improve, because I really thought he looked raw coming out of college.

pretty accurate

yes, but that article was written after week 7 or 8 I think. In the past month Burns still shows some of the same lapses and weak technique, but I think his tackling is getting better and he seems more confident in coverage. I don't know how they give their grades, but if they gave him a 50.1 at that point, I would say his game is rising up to a 65 if you factor in the last month.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 8:51 pm

He's a rookie and he is getting better game to game. Same can be said about Davis and Hargrave as well. They are getting better game to game. The last two teams have been prettty pathetic but it's still the NFL.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyFri Dec 02, 2016 11:02 am

He is a rookie. He makes some nice plays, but makes some rookie mistakes.

He seems to be getting better each week though.
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyFri Dec 02, 2016 12:20 pm

I think the more experience he gets, hes going to be one hell of a corner
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 11:37 am

TollingtheBell26 wrote:
I think the more experience he gets, hes going to be one hell of a corner

I hope so...I want to see a 2017 secondary of

LCB- Gilbert

RCB- Burns

SS- Mitchell

FS- Davis

SCB-Cockrell
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 11:46 am

The arrow is definitely pointing up. Physical tools are there; hope he learns the game well enough to be a top flight CB.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 1:17 pm

He looks like he can develop into a top CB. Kudos to Colbert & Tomlin. (even more so with the 2nd round pick in Davis)

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 4:07 pm

Cockrell continues to get better and better week in and week out Burns and Davis are improving weekly, we still even have Gilbert waiting in the wings the secondary could be a beast if injuries are avoided and they continue to gel.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 4:49 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Cockrell continues to get better and better week in and week out Burns and Davis are improving weekly, we still even have Gilbert waiting in the wings the secondary could be a beast if injuries are avoided and they continue to gel.

I'm not sold on Cockrell yet.   In his defense, we do ask a lot from him...covering WR #1's most of the time.

Burns must be getting better; some of my friends (not Steelers fans) are noticing him in games...they've asked me about him after seeing him play on TV.

Davis looks promising and hopefully Gilbert gets the chance to show what he can add to the secondary.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 6:43 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

I'm not sold on Cockrell yet.   In his defense, we do ask a lot from him...covering WR #1's most of the time.

Burns must be getting better; some of my friends (not Steelers fans) are noticing him in games...they've asked me about him after seeing him play on TV.

Davis looks promising and hopefully Gilbert gets the chance to show what he can add to the secondary.

Cockrell is playing well and I expect them to try and get him a longer term deal in the offseason. He is a guy that is always around the football and challenging the reception. I will give you that he sometimes has some lapses, but consider these stats so far this season.

Xavier Rhodes...33 Tackles, 9 Passes Defended, 4 INT
Josh Norman.....48 Tackles, 12 Passes Defended, 1 INT
Ross Cockrell....44 Tackles, 11 Passes Defended, 0 INT

That being said, Cockrell is a guy that is a 2nd tier CB, but getting the job done well. Much better than #41 from last season IMO.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2016 8:52 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Cockrell is playing well and I expect them to try and get him a longer term deal in the offseason.  He is a guy that is always around the football and challenging the reception.  I will give you that he sometimes has some lapses, but consider these stats so far this season.

Xavier Rhodes...33 Tackles, 9 Passes Defended, 4 INT
Josh Norman.....48 Tackles, 12 Passes Defended, 1 INT
Ross Cockrell....44 Tackles, 11 Passes Defended, 0 INT

That being said, Cockrell is a guy that is a 2nd tier CB, but getting the job done well.  Much better than #41 from last season IMO.

Totally agree. IMHO, the greatest part of Cockrell is the future. He's got 4 more games to tighten up his play, then we will see what he's made of if the Steelers make the playoffs. In fact, playoff experience will be huge for the young secondary players. The Browns and Colts were horrible teams and the only good thing we learned from those wins is that the Steelers can, in fact, win against basement dwellers. But beating the Giants they way they did shows me this team is playing better and the secondary specifically is much improved.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2016 12:51 pm

I agree that Cockrell is a candidate to get a long term contract.

He and Burns are the future outside corners for this team.

Only can hope Golson can somehow stay healthy and become the slot CB. Gay won't play forever.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2016 1:40 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:

Only can hope Golson can somehow stay healthy and become the slot CB. Gay won't play forever.

I think Golson is going to be fine and that solid slot corner that will surprise fans. Justin Gilbert is also in the mix and if he works hard, can push to be the #3 if Golson or Cockrell falter. Gilbert is still a big unknown.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2016 5:20 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

I think Golson is going to be fine and that solid slot corner that will surprise fans.  Justin Gilbert is also in the mix and if he works hard, can push to be the #3 if Golson or Cockrell falter.  Gilbert is still a big unknown.

I won't hold my breath, the kid hasn't even played 1 preseason game yet. I'll be surprised if he's even on the roster in 2 years
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2016 11:53 pm

LOOKS like the 2017 Steelers defense will have the best Nickel and Dime defensive back field in the league all DBs starting material not a weak link. So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? 1797695198

This is what I really wanted in this new Steelers defense rebuild don't get me wrong I like the old smash mouth blitzing run stopping defense but they had a some trouble when offenses spread them out.

It would be great if a couple of quick and fast DEs and a pass coverage LB fell into the Steelers lap in the 2017 draft.

Don't care if its a 3-4 or a 4-3 a hybred defensive front just want the defense simple as possible so everybody plays fast and able to get young talent on the field faster.

when every one is fast any one can blitz, run blitz pass blitz.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 2:00 am

Fire Arians wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

I think Golson is going to be fine and that solid slot corner that will surprise fans.  Justin Gilbert is also in the mix and if he works hard, can push to be the #3 if Golson or Cockrell falter.  Gilbert is still a big unknown.

I won't hold my breath, the kid hasn't even played 1 preseason game yet. I'll be surprised if he's even on the roster in 2 years

Golson was a better college CB than Sean Spence was a college LB. I'm not going to write him off yet, although some wrote him off on draft day because he is 5'9".
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 2:08 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

Golson was a better college CB than Sean Spence was a college LB.  I'm not going to write him off yet, although some wrote him off on draft day because he is 5'9".

At 5'9" with good hands playing in a zone defense think he could grab a couple of INTs in a dime defense.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 1:23 pm

effyou515 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

Golson was a better college CB than Sean Spence was a college LB.  I'm not going to write him off yet, although some wrote him off on draft day because he is 5'9".

At 5'9" with good hands playing in a zone defense think he could grab a couple of INTs in a dime defense.

IF, he comes back healthy he becomes the nickel CB and replaces Gay next season. Golson has ball skills, passion for the game and is a solid athlete.

According to a 2015 study from the U of Penn....93% of NFL players who suffer a midfoot injury return to play in 15 month or less with no significant decrease in performance. http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2015/03/lisfranc/

I didn't think Golson's injury was deemed to be that severe, so I would again plan for him to be good to go next summer in training camp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?   So what's The word so far on Artie Burns? Empty

Back to top Go down

So what's The word so far on Artie Burns?
Page 1 of 1