Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop

Go down 
+4
Drizztbob
El-Gonzo Jackson
kirklandrules
BlackAndGold
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  Empty
PostSubject: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 11:13 am

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 11:16 am

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell
As much as I've liked Sean Davis s draft day, after two days of hitting I have to call Javon Hargrave the cream of the Steelers' draft crop.

That's OK since I had Hargrave as an R1 in draft previews. He may not hold point on run downs, but his rush quicks will force double teams.

Artie Burns will soon pick a press technique and work it. Going against Antonio Brown every day will demand that he work it.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/760480751473221632

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 11:17 am

Jerald Hawkins is raw, as we were told, but he's strong and has good feet. Looks like an outstanding R4 draft pick

So Hawkins is rag-dolling Travis Feeney, who's probably too light for 3-4 OLB, but Feeney shows me a lot of toughness. Don't write off yet.

I just chuckle when I think of Travis Matakevich playing MLB like Bobby Boucher from Waterboy, Jefferson from Fast Times. Kid has to make it

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 12:01 pm

Wasn't it PFF that wrote that the Steelers totally sucked up the 2016 draft with Burns and Davis? I should wait until they prove they aren't the busts that PFF seemed to think, but continue to shake my head over their focus on stats instead of football. No
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 12:28 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
Jerald Hawkins is raw, as we were told, but he's strong and has good feet. Looks like an outstanding R4 draft pick

So Hawkins is rag-dolling Travis Feeney, who's probably too light for 3-4 OLB, but Feeney shows me a lot of toughness. Don't write off yet.

I just chuckle when I think of Travis Matakevich playing MLB like Bobby Boucher from Waterboy, Jefferson from Fast Times. Kid has to make it

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I don't understand the relevance of a 300 LB DT rag-dolling a 230LB linebacker? Why are a DT and LB matched up in drills?

Interesting thing to me in that Bouchette blog is that Eli Rogers getting some real looks as a slot receiver and punt returner. I think the kid makes the 53 and they try and put Ayers on the practice squad.

Davis is a CB/S hybrid. A bigger and faster version of what Mike Logan used to be for the Steelers. I think he sits behind Golden, but definitely becomes a guy that covers TE's in the slot before taking the starting SS job by next season at the latest.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 12:44 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

Interesting thing to me in that Bouchette blog is that Eli Rogers getting some real looks as a slot receiver and punt returner.  I think the kid makes the 53 and they try and put Ayers on the practice squad.

Heard Ayers has looks good also but, Rogers has the inside track to the 53.

From Ed's article
Eli Rogers could be a starting slot receiver for the Steelers because some believe he is that good and they would like to put Markus Wheaton on the outside to pair him with Antonio Brown.

But Sammie Coates could put a wrench in those plans, and that is OK too for the Steelers. Coates started off fast in training camp and if he keeps it up, the Steelers will have a pleasant dilemma, provided Rogers continues to be that tough, slot guy. When you go to three wide receivers, who plays? Brown and Coates with Wheaton in the slot? Or Brown and Wheaton/Coates with Rogers in the slot? It probably would have to be Brown, Coates and Wheaton but provided Rogers continues on a path he started last year, they will have to find room for him somewhere.

That somewhere for Rogers could well be returning punts to start off.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 1:04 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

Interesting thing to me in that Bouchette blog is that Eli Rogers getting some real looks as a slot receiver and punt returner.  I think the kid makes the 53 and they try and put Ayers on the practice squad.

Heard Ayers has looks good also but, Rogers has the inside track to the 53.

]

Yeah, if you watch both of their college tape you see Ayers getting a lot of designed bubble or slip screens in that offense. Rogers Louisville tape shows he has a knack for finding seams in the zones and exploiting them for receptions. IMO, Rogers experience and skillset is better suited to the NFL at this point than Ayers. Plus, he has that extra 1 year in the Steelers offense to get him that inside track to the 53 as you said.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 2:04 pm

Man I'm glad football season is back so we can speculate until our little hearts content.

kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 2:52 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

I don't understand the relevance of a 300 LB DT rag-dolling a 230LB linebacker?  Why are a DT and LB matched up in drills?

You do mean a 300 LB OT rag-dolling a 230 LB linebacker, right? That might answer your second question.

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Gerry Dulac mentioned on SNR yesterday that Rogers was absolutely the 5 WR last year, until the injury. He thinks he's the 5th this year, pushing Ayers either to specials teams or practice squad.

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Davis is a CB/S hybrid.  A bigger and faster version of what Mike Logan used to be for the Steelers.  I think he sits behind Golden, but definitely becomes a guy that covers TE's in the slot before taking the starting SS job by next season at the latest.  
Agreed ... Davis just needs the time to learn .. he has the talent.
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 3:05 pm

Well when you pick DB's high, you get feed back like this. When was the last time a DB got this kinda praise? Troy? Jeez just saying his name makes me sad.....I sure do miss him
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Golson’s Injury Opening Door For Davis

BY ALEX KOZORA AUGUST 2, 2016

I don’t want to look too far into the ramifications until it is official but it feels all but certain the Pittsburgh Steelers will be without Senquez Golson for most of the season, if not the full year.

You can’t help but feel for a guy in his position. Setback by the earliest of injuries a year ago, eager to redeem himself in 2016, only to be shooed away by another injury. Two years, 3.5 Latrobe practices, and zero games. It’s a reminder that football, for as glamorous as it can be, is cold, harsh, seemingly sadistic.

Big picture, as a team, there isn’t time to feel sorry. There’s only time to move on and adjust. And early indications show Sean Davis being the “next man up” to fill Golson’s shoes.

It shouldn’t have been a surprise to see Davis jump in with the first team slot. On Day One, he saw reps in that role, working behind Golson, so it’s a natural progression. He’ll have to prove his worth, just like any rookie, but these signs point to the Steelers being committed to keeping William Gay on the outside.

There was no bad decision to be made with Gay. He’s quite capable at either spot. A still-strong cover corner on the outside, an effective communicator and run defender from the slot. But in a division with A.J. Green and now Josh Gordon, slotting Gay inside would put a lot of pressure on Artie Burns.

And maybe Burns is more the motivating factor to keeping Gay on the outside. For a rookie, even a first rounder, who is so young, so inexperienced, playing him now – by choice, at least – could spell disaster. It’s a decision that implies Burns is simply not ready, something we’ve seen very early in camp.

But back to Davis. His exact role in the defense was unclear, though we assumed it would exist in some capacity. Now, the path is clearer. He is a bigger body, 6’1 201, that may not make him a “natural” fit for the slot. But the first thing that stood out to me, way back at the Senior Bowl when I barely had an inkling of him as a prospect, was his feet. They were some of the best in this year’s class and his Combine numbers, led by a 3.97 short shuttle, backed that up. The fact he is a tough, physical player rounds him out as a worthy candidate to play inside.

Should this move become permanent, Davis in the slot, it thins out the safety depth. It would be no shock to see Will Allen be brought back, a Mike Tomlin favorite who can play either safety spot. Even declining, a reserve role is a good-enough fit for a team reacting to an early injury. We also just wrote about how the team has kept the #20 jersey available for the roster.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/golsons-injury-opening-door-davis/
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 5:05 am

Wait I thought the plan was to move him to safety....and that he struggled at corner in college......now he's ready to man the slot??

BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 2:02 pm

SteelerSpartan wrote:
Wait I thought the plan was to move him to safety....and that he struggled at corner in college......now he's ready to man the slot??

Playing as an outside CB is a little harder than playing in the slot. He should be fine.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 8:37 pm

by Ray Fittipaldo

Secondary options

Rookie second-round pick Sean Davis continues to work at slot corner and safety. Butler likes the physicality Davis brings to slot corner, especially when it comes to blitzing off the edge. But Butler will have other options should he want to play Davis at safety full time.

“We’re going to work several different guys,” Butler said of the slot corner position. “We always have [William Gay]. He’s done it before and he likes to do it. If we ask him to do it I think he’d jump in a heartbeat to do it. But we want to keep him outside right now. We’re going to look at some of the young guys and give them a chance, see how they adapt to it. We’ll see how it goes.”

Davis’ physicality can come in handy at safety as well. He had a hard hit on wide receiver Sammie Coates Wednesday afternoon from the safety position that drew a reaction from the crowd.

“We’re going to see what he can do at both right now,” Butler said. “When he plays in the slot, it gives us some ammunition in terms of blitzes and stuff like that bringing him off the edge. We’re going to play him at safety for sure and see what he can do at nickel.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/08/05/Steelers-notebook-Inside-linebacker-depth-remains-strong/stories/201608050105
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyWed Sep 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Steelers rookie Sean Davis 'not backing down' when he makes his NFL debut in hometown

Chris B. Mueller
Times NFL Correspondent

PITTSBURGH -- Sean Davis can still remember making trips to the old RFK Stadium to watch Redskins games as a football-crazed youngster growing up in the Washington D.C area.

He spent his adolescence as a Redskins fan living just 10 minutes away from FedEx Field, the same place he'll make his NFL debut Monday night when the Steelers kick off their 2016 season opener.

When Davis does take the field Monday night, his football life will have come full circle.

"That’s homecoming for me," Davis said. "I’m looking forward to it. A bunch of family and friends are coming out to support me and the team. I’m treating it as a regular game, but it means a little more for me."

Davis was drafted out of the University of Maryland as a ball-hawking safety, but circumstances forced him to move to cornerback when Senquez Golson went down with a Lisfranc injury on August 1. Fast forward to Week 1, and Davis is defensive coordinator Keith Butler's starting slot cornerback.

to read rest of article:

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-rookie-sean-davis-not-backing-down-when-he-makes/article_77643c8e-7466-11e6-a2c2-a73a23a026e7.html
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 8:00 am

I would say Davis and Hargrave are the cream of the draft crop at this point and time. Burns might well work his way into that conversation as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 9:29 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I would say Davis and Hargrave are the cream of the draft crop at this point and time. Burns might well work his way into that conversation as well.

I agree with you on this. Burns will need to work on his pre snap depth, backpedal and reading his keys. He only got the 1 game and stood flat footed a lot, looked into the backfield and reacted late when it was a run. He looks like a guy that will get setup with a double move easily in that technique. Good thing is, when you get beat by that, you remember and learn from it, which he will.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop    Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop  Empty

Back to top Go down

Sean Davis is the cream of the Steelers' draft crop
Page 1 of 1