Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeAnyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?

Go down 
+6
OX1947
effyou515
El-Gonzo Jackson
Atlanta Dan
jak341
solardave
10 posters
AuthorMessage
solardave

solardave

Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2016 4:56 am

I'm wondering if they plan to work him in. Is he practicing? It seems like we would hear the new lease on life talk around the NFL but nothing I've read so far.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2016 7:18 am

He's practicing, but that's about it. I wouldn't expect to see him until week 4, provided he is showing something in practice.

Of course, he may be the backup to Cockrell and nothing more.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2016 7:45 am

This from Gerry Dulac of the P-G this week

With our secondary supposedly being our weakness, was Justin Gilbert even suited up yet to play?

Gerry Dulac: He was suited up but they weren't going to use him unless there was a injury. But you will see him VERY SOON. The coaches love his speed and smooth transitions -- the same things they saw when they wanted to draft him No. 1 a couple years ago. They are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with the other stuff.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/09/14/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-9-14-16/stories/201609140175

Of course Dulac was consistently saying how good Doran Grant was looking in practice Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? 1401235891
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2016 8:23 am

Let me be a slight bit optimistic here. Can you imagine if Gilbert shows 1st round talent that everyone was hoping for? Gilbert, Cockrell, and Gay are a very solid CB core. Add Burns and Davis in where needed.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2016 8:50 am

jak341 wrote:
Let me be a slight bit optimistic here. Can you imagine if Gilbert shows 1st round talent that everyone was hoping for? Gilbert, Cockrell, and Gay are a very solid CB core. Add Burns and Davis in where needed.

All they are looking for is somebody that can play the outside consistently. If its Burns, because he has been here since minicamp, or Gilbert because its his 3rd year in the NFL. Then they can use Gay as the slot corner, but until they will go with Davis in the slot. Gilbert has better starting point than Burns right now, but I really like Burns attitude from what I read in articles.

Golson is the wildcard in all of this too. When recovered, can he come in and play slot in November, or will he just be the #5 CB because the other guys have so many more reps?
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2016 9:51 am

All these young Dbs would be great if they all pan out.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2016 11:12 am

DBs panning out could be the difference between Super Bowl Trophy and Divisional Loss.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2016 11:32 am

I think I'm in the minority here when I say Cockrell is a bit overvalued.
I hope I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2016 11:51 am

FrancoLambert wrote:
I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe you are in the minority, but I also understand the opinion.

I'm thinking that Cockrell is like a DeShea Townsend type of guy that was drafted in middle rounds and took a few seasons to develop into somebody that is a real solid CB. I don't think he is ever going to be a pro bowl type corner, but rather somebody that is good in coverage and gets the job done, but not a guy getting 5 INT's per year and able to lock down the elite WR's in the league.

If Burns, Golson and Gilbert play to their potential in the coming years, then Cockrell becomes the #4 CB....but for now, because of performance, experience and health he is ahead of all of them.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2016 11:57 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
I hope I'm wrong.

I'm thinking that Cockrell is like a DeShea Townsend type of guy that was drafted in middle rounds and took a few seasons to develop into somebody that is a real solid CB.  I don't think he is ever going to be a pro bowl type corner, but rather somebody that is good in coverage and gets the job done, but not a guy getting 5 INT's per year and able to lock down the elite WR's in the league.  

If Burns, Golson and Gilbert play to their potential in the coming years, then Cockrell becomes the #4 CB....but for now, because of performance, experience and health he is ahead of all of them.

Yep. Those are my thoughts as well.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2016 2:35 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
I hope I'm wrong.

I'm thinking that Cockrell is like a DeShea Townsend type of guy that was drafted in middle rounds and took a few seasons to develop into somebody that is a real solid CB.  I don't think he is ever going to be a pro bowl type corner, but rather somebody that is good in coverage and gets the job done, but not a guy getting 5 INT's per year and able to lock down the elite WR's in the league.  

I kind of had same thought with Cockrell being Townsend like. I really liked Townsend and would be happy to see the same come out of Cockrell. I always think of that pick-six, 08, in the Dallas game when I think of Townsend.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 11:53 pm

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2016 8:00 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

This makes my heart happy. I'd like to see what else this guy can do on the field.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?   Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone heard anything about Justin Gilbert?
Page 1 of 1