Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers release Justin Gilbert Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers release Justin Gilbert

Go down 
+13
JPPT1974
SteelersNorth
FrancoLambert
solardave
BKAnthem
IowaSteeler927
effyou515
kirklandrules
El-Gonzo Jackson
SteelerFreak58
Atlanta Dan
jak341
BlackAndGold
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

Steelers release Justin Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 4:12 pm

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 4:36 pm

I guess that means he truly is a 1st round bust.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 4:42 pm

Oh.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 4:52 pm

I guess I got my answer. I was wondering why he didn't see the field.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 5:02 pm

Had to do something to continue the Steelers tradition of carrying dead money that hits the salary cap

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Had to do something to continue the Steelers tradition of carrying dead money that hits the salary cap

Now they are saying...

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Well shit... I had hoped the kid was getting his shit together and was gonna fight for a starting job...
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 9:19 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Well shit... I had hoped the kid was getting his shit together and was gonna fight for a starting job...

Yeah, there were some draft profiles that at least had him with good awareness and quickness that he could play inside in nickel coverage, but pretty much says bust. I guess the Steelers plans are to roll with Cockrell, Burns, Golson next season and find another DB in the draft or free agency.

Honestly, I am looking forward to the casting off of some players that haven't lived up to expectations, like Shamarko, Jarvis Jones and Gilbert. Going to make room for some guys with some promise, but you can only fill so many holes in the draft and we all see that isn't a guarantee. Will need to be a few free agents to be picked up.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 9:27 am

BlackAndGold wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:

Now they are saying...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 2017 was the last year of his contract and he had an option for a 2018 extension. Usually the last year of a rookie contract isn't guaranteed nor the option year. Or maybe 2018 is the last year of his contract .... regardless, only the first year or two of a rookie contract is guaranteed (unless you are the #1 draft pick).
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 9:50 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Yeah, there were some draft profiles that at least had him with good awareness and quickness that he could play inside in nickel coverage, but pretty much says bust.  I guess the Steelers plans are to roll with Cockrell, Burns, Golson next season and find another DB in the draft or free agency.

Honestly, I am looking forward to the casting off of some players that haven't lived up to expectations, like Shamarko, Jarvis Jones and Gilbert.  Going to make room for some guys with some promise, but you can only fill so many holes in the draft and we all see that isn't a guarantee.  Will need to be a few free agents to be picked up.

We are going to have to hope Golson can make it out of camp, and a draft pick will be able to learn on the fly and absorb a ton in camp. Gay will hopefully coach them up and pass on some knowledge.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 11:28 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Yeah, there were some draft profiles that at least had him with good awareness and quickness that he could play inside in nickel coverage, but pretty much says bust.  I guess the Steelers plans are to roll with Cockrell, Burns, Golson next season and find another DB in the draft or free agency.

Honestly, I am looking forward to the casting off of some players that haven't lived up to expectations, like Shamarko, Jarvis Jones and Gilbert.  Going to make room for some guys with some promise, but you can only fill so many holes in the draft and we all see that isn't a guarantee.  Will need to be a few free agents to be picked up.

We are going to have to hope Golson can make it out of camp, and a draft pick will be able to learn on the fly and absorb a ton in camp. Gay will hopefully coach them up and pass on some knowledge.

Oh yeah, Gay has 2 more years on his deal. Sure we are fine as long as they sign Cockrell in the offseason. Cockrell, Burns, Gay, Golson are a fine top 4(as long as Golson's lisfranc injury wasn't that bad.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 11:35 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Oh yeah, Gay has 2 more years on his deal.  Sure we are fine as long as they sign Cockrell in the offseason.  Cockrell, Burns, Gay, Golson are a fine top 4(as long as Golson's lisfranc injury wasn't that bad.

As bad as this sounds, I've completely written off Golson. The guy has played 3 snaps or something like that total since graduating from college 2 years ago. This kind of reminds me of Sean Spence. He came in, was severely injured, and eventually came back as a backup and left in FA. He wasn't good enough to crack the starting lineup and was nothing more than a journeyman backup.

If Golson does flash something, I don't think it's going to be this year. Perhaps next or beyond.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 12:16 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:

Now they are saying...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 2017 was the last year of his contract and he had an option for a 2018 extension. Usually the last year of a rookie contract isn't guaranteed nor the option year. Or maybe 2018 is the last year of his contract .... regardless, only the first year or two of a rookie contract is guaranteed (unless you are the #1 draft pick).

Latest assumption is that Gilbert's fourth contract year for 2017 was guaranteed when signed in 2014 but the guarantee was voidable if he was suspended, which apparently occurred in December 2014

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/07/salary-cap-implications-for-steelers-after-justin-gilbert-release/
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 8:13 am

Mike Prisuta, the local radio station's sports reporter, was speculating this morning that Gilbert's release was due to salary. He has a 1.2 million bonus coming due, along with a $900,000 salary. With his release and clearing of waivers, the Steelers are off the hook from that.

He also speculated that due to the lack of depth in the CB core, Gilbert may be back at a more team friendly rate.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 7:29 pm

read somewhere this draft is deep in edge rushers and corners so there must be a couple of corners the Steelers like in this up coming draft.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 6:47 am

Don't think we'll be seeing Gilbert back anytime soon. Brandon Boykin 2.0

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 9:45 am

jak341 wrote:
[

As bad as this sounds, I've completely written off Golson. The guy has played 3 snaps or something like that total since graduating from college 2 years ago. This kind of reminds me of Sean Spence. He came in, was severely injured, and eventually came back as a backup and left in FA. He wasn't good enough to crack the starting lineup and was nothing more than a journeyman backup.

If Golson does flash something, I don't think it's going to be this year. Perhaps next or beyond.

You are correct, it sounds bad.

The Steelers could only place 1 player on IR and bring him back and that decision was made to bring back Dupree. IMO, if they were allowed to bring 2 back, Golson would have played down the stretch. He showed well in camp, but has just had some unfortunate injuries. The kid is the Anti-Justin Gilbert.....he loves the game of football and actually gave up a shot at more money by playing baseball. You can write him off, I can say I am 80% that he will play next season, but it doesn't matter...we will see in July.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Looks like dropping Gilbert save the team 2 million and they can bring him back if he is hungry...
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 10:53 pm

I hope he ant to compete and they bring him back
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 9:33 am

Now they're saying he could come back if he willing to work cheap. It saved about 2mil cutting him. I'd like to see him one more year if nothing else returning kicks. He looked better than Fitz and Coates when he was back there.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 9:42 am

solardave wrote:
Now they're saying he could come back if he willing to work cheap. It saved about 2mil cutting him. I'd like to see him one more year if nothing else returning kicks. He looked better than Fitz and Coates when he was back there.

I thought he looked tentative returning kickoffs when he got chances. He looked like he was running on eggshells and didn't know where the return lanes were. According to his stats he only returned 3 kickoffs, 1 for 32 yards and 2 more that didn't get to the 25. If he cant play CB, then move on IMO.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 11:18 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
solardave wrote:

I thought he looked tentative returning kickoffs when he got chances.  He looked like he was running on eggshells and didn't know where the return lanes were.  According to his stats he only returned 3 kickoffs, 1 for 32 yards and 2 more that didn't get to the 25.  If he cant play CB, then move on IMO.

You're right. Coates averaged 25, Gilbert 23, and Fitz 21.4.

Gilbert 3 times for 66 . Coates had the longest run for 44 yds. None of these guys are very impressive. Might as well stay in the endzone and take it on the 25.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 11:42 am

Yeah, I have no problem if they move on from Gilbert. Draft priorities will be BPA and I think OLB, WR, TE are all priorities in the top 2 days. I still would not mind if they looked at a smaller CB like Damonte Kazee from San Diego St that had a good week of senior bowl practice. He could have pushed his stock up to the 3rd round, but if they can get him later that would be solid.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/damontae-kazee?id=2558184
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 4:12 pm

this draft is deep with CBs heck Steelers draft a couple more, I know offense but this is a defensive players draft imo in todays NFL can't have to many CB. After watching Brady slice up the Steelers zone defense the Steelers definitely need versatile CBs who can play zone or man.

2017 NFL Draft: Top 5 Cornerback Prospects Pre-Combine

Regardless of teams with zone or man-to-man heavy concepts on defense, there are multiple players that will be able to fill either role, and even more that are capable of both. Zone based defenses will be doing their due diligence on a group consisting of Iowa standout Desmond King, Florida’s Jalen “Teez” Tabor, and USC’s versatile playmaker Adoree’ Jackson. Man-to-man concept heavy defenses will also have their pick of the litter, including the second half of Florida’s cornerback tandem in Quincy Wilson and Michigan’s Jourdan Lewis.

Even more tantalizing are the amount of prospects that project to either defensive scheme at the next level. Ohio State’s duo of Marshon Lattimore and Gareon Conley were both tasked with press and off coverage, along with Sidney Jones of Washington, and Tre’Davious White of LSU. The wide array of options makes ranking these players a fascinating process, and is sure to continue as a polarizing topic as we move closer to the draft.

http://nflspinzone.com/2017/02/04/nfl-draft-2017-cornerback-rankings-top-5-pre-combine/

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm all for going best OLB or CB on our board in rounds 1 and 2.  We need both.
To get over the hump (Patriots*) we need more pressure and better man on man coverage.
Not claiming to be a genius realizing this.....I think most of us have come to this same conclusion after the AFCCG.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers release Justin Gilbert
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next