Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeDid anyone read Ruanaidh? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Did anyone read Ruanaidh?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Did anyone read Ruanaidh? Empty
PostSubject: Did anyone read Ruanaidh?   Did anyone read Ruanaidh? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 9:43 pm

Honestly, it's probably the best book I've read on the Steelers. All the more special with Art Rooney, Jr (The Chief's son not Dan's son whom is the current team president) wrote it. I started reading it when I decided to do some searching for some of my family on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette archives. Sure enough, I found a later from my great uncle who was a priest and chaplain in WWII giving a shout out to the Chief. And what's more is that The Chief had a younger brother, Father Dan "Silas" Rooney who was my great uncle's age and also a chaplain in the same battle my uncle was in WWII not to mention they both attended Duquesne Never knew my great uncle and my Dad didn't know him too well at all and my Nana-great uncle's sister is deceased as well but my Dad and I concluded that my great uncle Bill and the Chief's brother were no doubt acquainted and likely friends. Was also interesting since I talked to a cousin on my dad's dad's side who was a childhood friend of a son of one of the Chief's younger sisters. I always have been proud to be a Steelers fan since my dad's family is from Pittsburgh but knowing that my family has some pretty neat connections to the Rooneys themselves is neat. Anyhow, there's a new biography on Chuck Noll out that looks good too. I love reading about the Steelers of the 70's. What an amazing job Noll did. Best coach of all time IMO. He took the Steelers from being a perennial loser to a dynasty.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone read Ruanaidh?   Did anyone read Ruanaidh? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks for the recommend. I just ordered off Amazon. I have a lot of reading to do right now but will get to it eventually.

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone read Ruanaidh?   Did anyone read Ruanaidh? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 8:35 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:
Thanks for the recommend. I just ordered off Amazon. I have a lot of reading to do right now but will get to it eventually.
Yeah I have a lot of other reading I'm doing too. I got the CHuck Noll biography for Christmas but I'm reading a book on the Wright Brothers and a book on the history of Pittsburgh. You'll like this book. The one thing that amused me was reading about the North Side Germans and Irish and how their intermarriages were perfect for each other. My father's father was a son of a German immigrant and my father's mother the granddaughter of Irish ones. She actually grew up near the site of Three Rivers Stadium. It's her brother I mentioned in the OP mentioning the Chief and who went to Duquesne with the Chief's younger brother.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone read Ruanaidh?   Did anyone read Ruanaidh? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did anyone read Ruanaidh?
Page 1 of 1