Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWill Todd Haley return for 2017? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Will Todd Haley return for 2017?

Go down 
+6
BKAnthem
solardave
IowaSteeler927
Atlanta Dan
FrancoLambert
Jazzo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzo

Jazzo

Will Todd Haley return for 2017? Empty
PostSubject: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptyThu Feb 02, 2017 2:08 pm

Will Todd Haley return for 2017? Todd-haley-animated-gif

http://www.steelcityunderground.com/2017/01/31/will-todd-haley-return-2017/

"Here’s an offseason story no one has been talking about: Todd Haley signed a two-year contract extension back in January of 2015, which means, the Steelers offensive coordinator is not under contract (as of this moment) when the league year begins on March 9th.

Now, that news might be music to some Steelers fans’ ears, but I always warn that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Once a detriment to the team, the Todd Haley era ushered in video game style statistics for the Steelers offense. Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked less, and put up huge stats. Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell both grew into superstars under Haley’s watch as well.

Even consider that Martavis Bryant was a 4th round pick and became a major player in his short time as a professional.

Credit must be given where it’s due: previous OC Bruce Arians’ offenses often sputtered, resulting in field goals and relying on defensive touchdowns to win games. While Haley had caught much of the brunt for two 8-8 seasons during his first two years running the offense, much of frustration could be vented toward retiring defensive stalwarts like Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, and Troy Polamalu being difficult to replace.

Haley also lacked a running back when Rashard Mendenhall went off the deep end (remember Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer?) but still put the Steelers in a position to compete. In 2013, that 8-8 season was a missed field goal by Kansas City against the Chargers (and blown call by the officials) from getting Pittsburgh into the playoffs.

Yet, the team returned, barnstorming their way to the AFC North division title in 2014, and again in 2016. A Wild Card appearance (and win) dots the year between those seasons, and the Steelers may have been a fumble away from the AFC Championship in 2015, and made their way there in 2016.

Can we really say offense is the problem?

We previously discussed that Pittsburgh had the weapons necessary to take on New England, such as Markus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant and Ladarius Green, but you can only plan so much for injuries and suspensions.

Expectations will be high for 2017 as well, considering all of the same pieces should be back. (Yes, barring a Big Ben retirement among other things.)

So the focus now shifts to whether or not Pittsburgh brings Haley back. The OC was considered to be in the running for a potential head coaching gig, but with all of those openings now (mostly) closed, there may be nowhere else for Todd Haley to go, but back to the Steelers.

Do they really want to start over with a new offense and a new playbook?

That didn’t go over so well with the last transition, which from all indications, was a painful one. Roethlisberger was close friends with Arians, and Haley was (and is) a combative coach.

Apparently that stuff is now water under the bridge… or is it?

Unless you’re living under a rock, it’s well-known that Ben Roethlisberger hinted at walking away from football last week.

Could Ben’s frustration be aimed at the precarious relationship he’s had with the Steelers offensive coordinator?

Could his subtle comment suggest he wants change within the organization?

Is it a coincidence that Todd’s contract is now null and void, and the Steelers don’t have to “force” him into retirement, as they did with Arians several years earlier?

We might be reading too much into the situation, as none of us know what goes on behind closed doors. Even if this were a remote possibility, the Steelers are a class operation that wouldn’t let this news leak, at least not intentionally. (We couldn’t even get a straight word on Ladarius Green’s condition through the 2016 season.)

I’m of the opinion that Haley will probably be back. He is a Pittsburgh native with family ties to the franchise. Those bonds are hard to break, especially when the successes outweigh the failures for those players he’s responsible for. Finding ways to work around injuries could be credited to receivers coach Richard Mann, and offensive line coach Mike Munchak, but Haley is not only their boss, but their peer. He’s one piece of the machine, and possibly one that cannot be easily replaced.

When Haley was brought in for the 2012 season, he was the first outside hire for a coordinator position in 12 years. If Todd doesn’t return, it’s possible that someone like Munchak could be considered as his replacement.

Whether Haley will be back or not, will likely be decided in the coming weeks, as the franchise formulates a strategy for upcoming league year. Placing a coordinator who can maximize Ben’s talents (and career) is one of many big decisions the club will have to make soon."

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptyThu Feb 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Is Ben retiring?
Do the Steelers want to entertain trade offers for AB?
What is Joey Porter's status for next year?
What's up with Leveon's groin injury...rest....surgery?
Will Martavis be reinstated and will he remain clean?

Not enough drama for one off-season?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? 1645253483

Let's add firing Haley and starting fresh with a new OC and new system. Will Todd Haley return for 2017? 2672159185
Too late for that.
You go with Haley next year...all in.

But then I thought, "what if things are so bad between Haley and Ben, that Ben went to Tomlin and Art and said it's either him or me."  "Keep him as OC...... I retire...replace him.... I stay."   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? 2087824411
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptyThu Feb 02, 2017 6:09 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
But then I thought, "what if things are so bad between Haley and Ben, that Ben went to Tomlin and Art and said it's either him or me."  "Keep him as OC...... I retire...replace him.... I stay."   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? 2087824411

AJR II has fired an OC before but Ben loved that guy. Consider the possibility AJR II sees Ben as a valuable (and richly compensated) employee who previously did not have the correct view on who should stay as OC and is not going to dictate who stays or goes on the coaching staff .

The public image of the Steelers is that the Rooney family is a NFL version of The Waltons but once Dan took over from The Chief it became a business in which Dan at one point fired his brother when the quality of the drafts fell off in the 80s. Letting a player, no matter how valuable, blackmail you into firing someone does not appear to be how the Rooneys operate. And my bet is Ben does not have $18 million that can be easily accessed to repay immediately the amortized portion of his signing bonus that is owed if he retires, a matter of which AJR II might remind him if the owner thinks he is getting squeezed.

Both AJR II and Tomlin know unless they want to promote internally good luck getting a good replacement if the word gets out Ben got Haley fired. So if Haley goes it is because AJR II has major issues with how the offense performed due to coaching - based on his interview this week it looks like his concerns are with the pass rush and run defense

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/02/02/Art-Rooney-II-says-Steelers-need-to-improve-defensively-offseason-James-Harrison-Cam-Heyward/stories/201702020114
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptyThu Feb 02, 2017 6:45 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:

AJR II has fired an OC before but Ben loved that guy.  Consider the possibility AJR II sees Ben as a valuable (and richly compensated) employee who previously did not have the correct view on who should stay as OC and is not going to dictate who stays or goes on the coaching staff .

The public image of the Steelers is that the Rooney family is a NFL version of The Waltons but once Dan took over from The Chief it became a business in which Dan at one point fired his brother when the quality of the drafts fell off in the 80s.  Letting a player, no matter how valuable, blackmail you into firing someone does not appear to be how the Rooneys operate.  And my bet is Ben does not have $18 million that can be easily accessed to repay immediately the amortized portion of his signing bonus that is owed if he retires, a matter of which AJR II might remind him if the owner thinks he is getting squeezed.      

Both AJR II and Tomlin know unless they want to promote internally good luck getting a good replacement if the word gets out Ben got Haley fired. So if Haley goes it is because AJR II has major issues with how the offense performed due to coaching - based on his interview this week it looks like his concerns are with the pass rush and run defense  

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/02/02/Art-Rooney-II-says-Steelers-need-to-improve-defensively-offseason-James-Harrison-Cam-Heyward/stories/201702020114

Agree wholeheartedly Dan.  They won't let any player dictate what they intend to do.   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? 230572241
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2017 3:05 am

Haley should absolutely stick around. Our offense was still one of the top offenses in the league despite the fact they had to rely way too heavily on Brown/Bell for offensive production. Next season we're looking at getting Bryant back, Coates hopefully healthy, and maybe Ladarius Green still has something left despite his injuries. This offense could be even more dynamic when there's a receiver opposite Brown that can also command double coverage.

One thing I've noticed with this fanbase is that there's a pretty large contingent of fans within it that act like spoiled brats. Whenever we don't win a super bowl it's fire this coach, cut this player, we should have done this, or we should have done that... Totally out of the realm of reasoning. We are all fans and sharing our ideas, thoughts, opinions, etc... that's all great, and part of what makes being a fan great, but then you have the spoiled vocal minority of fans that just can't seem to grasp the fact that there's 31 other teams in the league besides the Steelers who also want to win the Super Bowl as well.

I suppose every fanbase has these kinds of people, the fair weather fans who "support" the team when things are going right, and then want to crucify coaches and players when things are going wrong. Man, oh man, though. It does seem to me like they're out in full force following that AFC Championship game loss and the media attention to nitpick every little thing doesn't help either.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2017 6:36 am

I don't think I read anywhere or heard it in the media this year that he was a candidate for a head coaching job. It makes sense for him to come back. Bradshaw and Noll won 4 SBs together (with a little help) despite the fact that they didn't get along.
Haley and Ben are far better together than Ben and BA were on the field. Who gives a shit if they won't be seen together in public until they hoist the 7th Lombardi. I know I don't.

Here is my "bold prediction" for next year. If we get Bryant,Bell back and stay healthy,we will see Ben and Haley hugs after we win it all. Notice I didn't say if Ben comes back because I really think neither one is leaving before next season ends.
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2017 2:08 pm

He's the best Option they have...Ben needs to stop being a Drama Queen.....again
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2017 8:19 pm

I'd be shocked if they make any coaching changes.

It's possible someone could retire. Coach Mann, and Mitchell are both up there in age. But I think they'll be back for another season.

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptySat Feb 04, 2017 12:03 am

Jazzo wrote:

We previously discussed that Pittsburgh had the weapons necessary to take on New England, such as Markus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant and Ladarius Green, but you can only plan so much for injuries and suspensions.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong........sucks, unmotivated, and unavailable aren't words I would use to describe the "necessary weapons" on offense, but that's what we've got in those 3.

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptySat Feb 04, 2017 6:54 am

Steel Peon wrote:
Jazzo wrote:

Wrong, wrong, and wrong........sucks, unmotivated, and unavailable aren't words I would use to describe the "necessary weapons" on offense, but that's what we've got in those 3.

I wouldn't say Wheaton sucks, he's had some pretty good games and would've been a definite upgrade over the likes of Cobi Hamilton, and Darrius Heyward Bey if he could remain healthy. He's had a lot of struggles with injuries, outside of that he can be a little bit inconsistent but is a down-the-field threat that can run the route tree, and takes pressure off of Antonio Brown.

Bryant needs to come back focused on football, and not on drugs. I don't know that he's unmotivated, he's just selfish and was putting his drug use ahead of the rest of the team.

As far as Green, I feel sorry for the guy. He's had a nasty history of concussions, and it was nothing he could control. He's been dealt a bad hand. We've seen that the guy can play, he's athletic, and can really burn defenses down the seams. I hope that his career isn't over but I fear for him taking on all these concussions.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Falcons may be looking for someone who likes to throw the ball on third and one from your own 35 up 16 points with 8 minutes left or on 2nd down from your opponent's 22 up 8 with less than 5 minutes to go Will Todd Haley return for 2017? 2981382511
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 9:28 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Falcons may be looking for someone who likes to throw the ball on third and one from your own 35 up 16 points with 8 minutes left or on 2nd down from your opponent's 22 up 8 with less than 5 minutes to go Will Todd Haley return for 2017? 2981382511

So True. When it was 2nd and 11 from the 23 and they lined up in that 2 back set I immediately thought that wasn't a run formation and said out loud " they just need to run inside zone 2 times and get their 3 points". " Ryan cant take a sack because that takes them out........" affraid

Its mind boggling that some of the brightest young coaches in the league cant see that at that point Julio just made an amazing catch and you need to make it a 2 possession game to win. IMO, that is on Shanahan for not calling the run play, Ryan for not recognizing he cant take a sack in that position and Quinn for not being in his OC's ear telling him "get us in position for the FG".

I don't know if Haley is up to doing that, but they would have to bring him in for an interview and see if he could find a more tragic way to lose a super bowl to find out.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 9:51 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:

Dan, can you tell us if Atlanta is talking about who made those play calls in the SB? Any controversy between the OC making a run call and Ryan an audible in those situations?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will Todd Haley return for 2017?   Will Todd Haley return for 2017? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will Todd Haley return for 2017?
Page 1 of 1