Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports

Go down 
+6
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
SteelersNorth
FrancoLambert
El-Gonzo Jackson
WVABE
Wallace108
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports Empty
PostSubject: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 10:55 am

Let’s just face it, the offseason is always going to be an endless carousel of lists and mock drafts and reflections on things past, with a dash of looking ahead into the future. But it also needs to be acknowledged that all that reflecting is kind of a big part of what the NFL is. It’s what the Hall of Fame is—reflecting on the best to ever play the game.

Pete Prisco recently posted one of those reflective, retrospective pieces for CBS Sports, in which he ranked the league’s coaches from first to last. The reporter placed Pittsburgh Steelers veteran head coach Mike Tomlin fifth on his list, behind some familiar names.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/04/mike-tomlin-ranked-5th-among-head-coaches-cbs-sports/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers+Depot%29

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 3:02 pm

He's in there with some pretty good company.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 10:50 am

Meh, he goes for 2 points way too often, doesn't clamp down on the stupid celebration penalties his players get and can only win with Bill Cowher's QB. Should be ranked 25th.
Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports 2800024739
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 11:45 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Meh, he goes for 2 points way too often, doesn't clamp down on the stupid celebration penalties his players get and can only win with Bill Cowher's QB.  Should be ranked 25th.
Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports 2800024739

Let's be honest..... he does go for 2 points way too often.   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports 2829330259

An aggressive mind-set is good, but he shouldn't be so head-strong about going for two.

Too many times he ends up chasing that "1 point"....and then you're chasing "2 points" before you know it.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 8:01 pm

The ones ahead of Tomlin are way overrated.
The Green Bay coach and qb go hand in hand i guess.

But fact is tomlin hasn't had a losing season yet...that should rank him higher just for that alone.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 pm

SteelersNorth wrote:
The ones ahead of Tomlin are way overrated.
The Green Bay coach and qb go hand in hand i guess.

But fact is tomlin hasn't had a losing season yet...that should rank him higher just for that alone.
Yeah I think they definitely overrated McCarthy. Reid was too especially given that Tomlin's handled him quite well when the two teams have gone up against each other. I have no problem with Reid being top ten. He's made KC into a contender but I'd take Tomlin over him. I think Tomlin is legitimately top 5 though. A lot of our fans complain about him but you're right. NO losing season should be to his credit.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 10:42 pm

Too much emphasis put on the W-L column by fans. All coaches have some bad years due to injuries, players getting old and poor drafting, etc. Mike McCarthy is a really good coach and I think guys like Mike Zimmer and John Fox should be higher, even Jay Gruden took the job saddled with the Bob Griffin legacy and really has a mediocre QB getting paid $20 million a year.

Reid has ridden that same old West Coast system for too long and should be out of the top 5 due to his inability to realize that his system is tired.

I honestly go Belicheat, Carrol, McCarthy, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Zimmer, Dan Quinn, Andy Reid, Sean Payton, John Fox, Arians. Funny thing is that just about anybody not in the top 10 of Prisico list could be fired at the end of the season.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 5:35 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Too much emphasis put on the W-L column by fans.  All coaches have some bad years due to injuries, players getting old and poor drafting, etc.  Mike McCarthy is a really good coach and I think guys like Mike Zimmer and John Fox should be higher, even Jay Gruden took the job saddled with the Bob Griffin legacy and really has a mediocre QB getting paid $20 million a year.

Reid has ridden that same old West Coast system for too long and should be out of the top 5 due to his inability to realize that his system is tired.

I honestly go Belicheat, Carrol, McCarthy, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Zimmer, Dan Quinn, Andy Reid, Sean Payton, John Fox, Arians.   Funny thing is that just about anybody not in the top 10 of Prisico list could be fired at the end of the season.

Wait. Fire Arians you say. Man are you out of your mind? Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 9:40 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Too much emphasis put on the W-L column by fans.  All coaches have some bad years due to injuries, players getting old and poor drafting, etc.  Mike McCarthy is a really good coach and I think guys like Mike Zimmer and John Fox should be higher, even Jay Gruden took the job saddled with the Bob Griffin legacy and really has a mediocre QB getting paid $20 million a year.

I honestly go Belicheat, Carrol, McCarthy, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Zimmer, Dan Quinn, Andy Reid, Sean Payton, John Fox, Arians.   Funny thing is that just about anybody not in the top 10 of Prisico list could be fired at the end of the season.

I like your list, I would just put Carrol a few spots lower (between Harbaugh and Zimmer). He should have been at 2 but the way they lost SB 49 makes him drop a bit imo. Also a tough decision between Tomlin and Harbaugh for me. Tomlin is sometimes too aggressive, Harbaugh not aggressive enough. A mix of both would be ideal Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports 1797695198

Also the difference between Belichick and the rest of the league is gigantic. Sometimes it seems like he just never makes a mistake or call the wrong play at critical moments in the game. And also the other coaches seem to shit the bed every time they play against him.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 10:23 am

Stella Nation wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

I like your list, I would just put Carrol a few spots lower (between Harbaugh and Zimmer). He should have been at 2 but the way they lost SB 49 makes him drop a bit imo. Also a tough decision between Tomlin and Harbaugh for me. Tomlin is sometimes too aggressive, Harbaugh not aggressive enough. A mix of both would be ideal Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports 1797695198

Also the difference between Belichick and the rest of the league is gigantic. Sometimes it seems like he just never makes a mistake or call the wrong play at critical moments in the game. And also the other coaches seem to shit the bed every time they play against him.

Yeah, Pete Carrol kind of makes my point about winning and losing getting too much emphasis. If he hands the ball off and they win, then he belongs at #2, but because Malcom Butler made a great play he belongs lower on the list. Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports 2829330259 Honestly Pete Carrol is a solid motivator, teacher and manages his talent well. That being said, he was really helped by having a franchise QB playing on the cheap and drafting Sherman with such value too. I always said that when they have to pay Wilson at QB, then the cap will catch up to them and they will go back to being a mediocre club.

Harbaugh is the classic, you hate him if he isn't your coach, but would love him if he was. I personally think he is a better coach than Tomlin, but a bigger jerk too and while not having a great QB, Flacco is pretty good and the front office always seems to keep that defense stocked for him. Zimmer IMO is a guy that has been making limonchello liquer out of lemons wherever he goes. Get him a QB and look out.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 5:09 pm

1. Bill Belichick
2. The other 31 NFL Coaches

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptyWed Apr 26, 2017 1:37 am

OX1947 wrote:
1. Bill Belichick

Have to agree, but admittedly reading your post made me Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports 2744185472

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports EmptyFri Apr 28, 2017 8:26 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
1. Bill Belichick

Have to agree, but admittedly reading your post made me Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports 2744185472

I was throwing up a second after I typed the k on the 1st line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports   Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports Empty

Back to top Go down

Mike Tomlin Ranked 5th Among Head Coaches By CBS Sports
Page 1 of 1