Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'

Go down 
+2
Fire Arians
LambertWardSteel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel

Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' Empty
PostSubject: Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'   Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Awesome to see this...in today's NFL I thought a book like this would put certain unsavory characters to the north at 1. Hard to believe Noll as low as 6th all time, and that there isn't a single offensive player other than Webster...what about Bettis, Harris, and a WR or two?

I really can't see how Harrison's INT return didn't make list of great plays...especially since it was in a SB.

Quote :
The Steelers also had three entries on the list of best plays. The Immaculate Reception, Franco Harris’ catch against the Raiders in the 1972 playoffs, came in at No. 2. Santonio Holmes’ game-winning touchdown catch in Super Bowl XLIII was No. 6, and Lynn Swann’s diving catch in Super Bowl X was No. 7.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/19/sports-illustrated-footballs-greatest-2017-joe-greene-jack-lambert/stories/201710190088
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'   Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 pm

I think Holmes' catch and Harrison's INT should be co-winners. If not for those 2 plays happening, I'm not sure we get #6
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'   Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' EmptyFri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 pm

I don't see how you can't have us as number. So many legends. The Cheats have had a nice run but let's see how they do after B&B.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'   Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' EmptyFri Oct 20, 2017 1:55 pm

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
I don't see how you can't have us as number. So many legends. The Cheats have had a nice run but let's see how they do after B&B.

I have a feeling Belicheat is going to retire after Brady does. He knows he isn't sh*t without the best qb of all time
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'   Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 6:50 am

Fire Arians wrote:

I have a feeling Belicheat is going to retire after Brady does. He knows he isn't sh*t without the best qb of all time

Brady the best? Ha! I'd take Marino over Brady, I'd take Montana over Brady... Those guys played when QBs could actually get hit. Marino was throwing the ball all over the place when the league was still run-heavy. Brady has played in a QB friendly, pass heavy league, behind some of the best offensive lines and benefited greatly from it. He's also played with some great defenses and offensive talent surrounding him. He's also been part of teams that cheated, for years at time.

Brady is good in my book, but not great. Greatness isn't achieved through cheating.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'   Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 7:43 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

Brady the best? Ha! I'd take Marino over Brady, I'd take Montana over Brady... Those guys played when QBs could actually get hit. Marino was throwing the ball all over the place when the league was still run-heavy. Brady has played in a QB friendly, pass heavy league, behind some of the best offensive lines and benefited greatly from it. He's also played with some great defenses and offensive talent surrounding him. He's also been part of teams that cheated, for years at time.

Brady is good in my book, but not great. Greatness isn't achieved through cheating.

Well said. Not that I'm prone to going around quoting Ray Lewis but he said: no one would have ever heard of brady had it not been for the tuck rule. After the taping scandal they've been to 4 SBs, lost 2 to Wild Cards, won one because of possibly the worst goal line coaching call ever, won another because of a complete end game collapse by the Falcons.

brady has no challenge right now for a savvy vet who can go out and win on experience and guile now that Manning retired. When he faced Manning in playoffs he was 1-4, I think. I also never got this "he's been to X and won X". To me just getting there doesn't count for much. I think it is more a mark of a champion to not lose any SBs like Bradshaw and Montana. I've heard Montana and Bradshaw both say they wouldn't have ever wanted to ever lose one.

brady is getting to the point too where he's a little like Hank Aaron beating Babe Ruth's all time homerun record when it took Aaron twice the at bats. Bradshaw retired at 33, Montana at 38, brady is now 40. He has been, and will continue to be protected by rules TB and JM did not have. Bradshaw was a drama queen but he was often knocked out of games and took some hellish hits. Had Montana been protected his career like brady, not gone to KC his last couple years, he could have played to 40+ too and likely won more SBs with those SF teams. I'm sick to death of Pats* nonsense in the media Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' 2913999526

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'   Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 2:24 am

I would take Johnny Unitas over all the QBs mentioned.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'   Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 5:02 am

I'm surprised no one mentioned Elway. There are so many better than Brady.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'   Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 1:50 pm

When Kraft bought the Patroits they studied the Steelers organization same with Tom Coughlin when the Jaguars were starting up. Coughlin is back as V.P. Football Operations and look how the Jaguars being built strong defense strong running game. right there show you the respect the Steelers have.

heck Jimmy Johnson assistant head coach and defensive coordinator for Pitt 1977 - 1978 was studying the Steelers and hooked up with Wannstedt who was G. A. coach before moving on to Miami.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'   Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 7:41 pm

solardave wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned Elway. There are so many better than Brady.
Yep Elway was special. I agree with y'all about Brady.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'   Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest' Empty

Back to top Go down

Sports Illustrated declares Steelers football's best franchise in 'Football's Greatest'
Page 1 of 1