Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJob behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open

Go down 
+2
IowaSteeler927
Wallace108
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open Empty
PostSubject: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 2:42 am

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Josh Dobbs did all the right things last summer, or at least enough of them for the Pittsburgh Steelers to cut veteran backup quarterback Landry Jones at the end of the preseason and promote Dobbs to the spot behind Ben Roethlisberger.

Nine months later, none of it matters.

Whatever gap Dobbs created over then-rookie Mason Rudolph in 2018 is gone. It’s not an indictment of the ever-meticulous Dobbs so much as a return to the way the Steelers prefer to do business. When Dobbs and Rudolph report to training camp at Saint Vincent College next month with 88 of their teammates, they’ll once again be in a fight for the opportunity to be the first option off the bench.

“They understand it is competition and it’s open,” offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner said Wednesday. “But to me, that position is always going to be open no matter who is here. That battle is every single day trying to put us in the best position when if Ben is not in the game, that we have put the right guy in to give us a chance to win the game.”

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/backup-plan-job-behind-steelers-qb-roethlisberger-wide-open-061219

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 3:20 am

I'm hoping Rudolph wins it. We invested a 3rd Rounder in him, they obviously took him with the hopes that he'd develop into a starter. That being said, if Dobbs beats him out and turns out to be the better player then so be it. Whoever gives us the best chance to win is all that matters.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 3:51 am

Right now we have 2 backup QBs with a lot of upside. An enviable position to be in. Back when we had Batch backing up Ben a couple sports writers said we had the best QB tandem in the league. I can see that happening again. I like Dobbs a lot but Rudolph edges him out in my mind. My reason why is James Washington. Rudolph and Washington together looks to be a good pair and if Washington ends up as our #2 receiver that combination can be really good for a few years.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 7:53 am

solardave wrote:
Right now we have 2 backup QBs with a lot of upside. An enviable position to be in. Back when we had Batch backing up Ben a couple sports writers said we had the best QB tandem in the league. I can see that happening again. I like Dobbs a lot but Rudolph edges him out in my mind. My reason why is James Washington. Rudolph and Washington together looks to be a good pair and if Washington ends up as our #2 receiver that combination can be really good for a few years.

I'm hoping that Washington pans out but early (albeit practice in shorts) reports on Diontae Johnson are promising.

solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 11:29 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:

I'm hoping that Washington pans out but early (albeit practice in shorts) reports on Diontae Johnson are promising.

Honestly I think we upgraded our WR core. Addition by subtraction. Someone asked Ju Ju how they were going to make up for Brown and he said "more people get the ball and make the most of it." I believe him. I think we can be even better without Brown.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 am

solardave wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:

Honestly I think we upgraded our WR core. Addition by subtraction. Someone asked Ju Ju how they were going to make up for Brown and he said "more people get the ball and make the most of it." I believe him. I think we can be even better without Brown.

I think we got a group of hungry young guys that put the team ahead of themselves. Bell/Brown showed me that they cared more about money, and their personal stats than they do about winning championships. I mistook Brown's tantrums as frustration in losing games, but looking back with the benefit of hindsight I'd say his tantrums were more about him not being the center of attention and getting the ball thrown his way every other play. Brown never threw tantrums when he was putting up monster statistical seasons. He didn't start acting that way until Ben started spreading the ball around to guys like Juju. I think he'll be just as cancerous to the Raiders locker room as he was to ours, it might not be this season, but he'll manifest his ugly side with them when things don't go his way.

I like the attitude our team has this season. We have playmakers on offense, and I think we definitely shored up the holes on our defense with the addition of guys like Devin Bush, and Steven Nelson.

Losing a talent like Brown does hurt, and he obviously had phenomenal chemistry with Ben over the years, but I think guys like Washington, and Diontae Johnson can fill the void left by Brown. Juju will take pressure off of them, and make their lives easier. Coach Fitchner is going to scheme these guys open and set them up for success. I'm extremely excited for this season.

Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 1:43 am

solardave wrote:

I'm a Dobbs fan. If people are looking for the next Tom Brady, look at the smartest guy in the room with tremendous work ethic. That's Dobbs.

I do like Rudolph too, but to me, Dobbs is the guy.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 4:01 am

While Dobbs and Rudolph battle for the backup position, here's who one of them will be backing up in a few years. Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open 1797695198

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 am

Pretty good let's sign him to a futures contract. Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open 2981382511
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 10:59 am

solardave wrote:
Pretty good let's sign him to a futures contract. Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open 2981382511

Hodges has tons of potential. But they're going to give Dobbs and Rudolph every opportunity to prove themselves. Hodges won't get s chance to do much of anything.

Just a little background from an earlier article ...

Steelers sign FCS phenom QB Devlin Hodges to contract

Hodges was the best player in the FCS last season. He won the Walter Payton Award as the most outstanding player after throwing for 4,283 yards and 32 passing touchdowns. Hodges also chipped in 313 rushing yards and eight scores on the ground.

There’s no denying how productive Hodges was in college, even against top tier competition.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/13/steelers-sign-fcs-phenom-qb-devlin-hodges-to-contract/

Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Yeah as it will be time one day when Big Ben hangs up his cleats as backup is needed.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 3:44 am

Wallace108 wrote:
solardave wrote:

Hodges has tons of potential. But they're going to give Dobbs and Rudolph every opportunity to prove themselves. Hodges won't get s chance to do much of anything.

Just a little background from an earlier article ...

Steelers sign FCS phenom QB Devlin Hodges to contract

Hodges was the best player in the FCS last season. He won the Walter Payton Award as the most outstanding player after throwing for 4,283 yards and 32 passing touchdowns. Hodges also chipped in 313 rushing yards and eight scores on the ground.

There’s no denying how productive Hodges was in college, even against top tier competition.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/13/steelers-sign-fcs-phenom-qb-devlin-hodges-to-contract/

Honestly I remember seeing we signed a 4th QB but didn't pay any attention thinking he is just a camp body. I think you're right he probably won't get much time to show his skills and that's a shame.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Hoping Rudolph takes the spot with little to no questions as to why. Dobbs got a shot at showing how he could help against the Raiders last year and didn't show much at impressing anyone. Rudolph has the height, arm, and skill set to be very productive if he can disect defenses and pull the right triggers. That being said its a big if. One can only hope.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 5:34 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Hoping Rudolph takes the spot with little to no questions as to why. Dobbs got a shot at showing how he could help against the Raiders last year and didn't show much at impressing anyone. Rudolph has the height, arm, and skill set to be very productive if he can disect defenses and pull the right triggers. That being said its a big if. One can only hope.

Remember Dobbs took the #2 position from Landry Jones who didn't show enough as a backup.We need a #2 like Charlie Batch where if Ben goes out we can still have hope of winning the game. Jones didn't have that and I'm not sure Dobbs does either. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and whether Hodges even gets a shot at competing. The question is: who is going to rise to the occasion?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open   Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open Empty

Back to top Go down

Job behind Steelers QB Roethlisberger wide open
Page 1 of 1