Steelers Xtreme Forum

Homebengals vs steelers - Page 5 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

bengals vs steelers

Go down 
+8
schillah
Shalieve5090
IowaSteeler927
SteelerFreak58
LambertWardSteel
solardave
jak341
effyou515
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

bengals vs steelers - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 15, 2020 7:41 pm

9-0 boys keep on truckin!!
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 15, 2020 7:50 pm

Avery shows up in the stats for 1 tackle...i missed that one. must have been special teams
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 15, 2020 7:54 pm

Good solid win against a sub par team. They really need to take a good look at the run game and get it worked out before the playoffs. Other then that another W and we will take it.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 15, 2020 8:59 pm

I heard a lot of talk about how Burrow was going to demolish us. Same people who were saying it a few games ago with Mayfield. Was nice to have a game where I could relax on the couch and not bite my nails.

9-0 is awesome. I have no delusions about an undefeated season but it's nice it is still possible 9 games in. Let's get 10-0 next week bengals vs steelers - Page 5 1948569602

effyou515 and Stella Nation like this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 15, 2020 9:05 pm

have you notice with the Steelers running game they run the same direction as the man in motion or run the same direction the TE pulls a lot of the time. bengals vs steelers - Page 5 3135543967

And once again the truth is found

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 pm

Well the Patriots** gave us some more breathing room by beating the Ratbirds!

Master_Of_Puppets and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 15, 2020 11:27 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Well the Patriots*** gave us some more breathing room by beating the Ratbirds!

I'm surprised by that too. The Pats* haven't exactly been looking good the last few weeks.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2020 12:41 am

Lokki wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Well the Patriots**** gave us some more breathing room by beating the Ratbirds!

I'm surprised by that too.  The Pats** haven't exactly been looking good the last few weeks.  

Oh yeah, I hated pulling for the Patriots* but it was worth it tonight. We are 3 games ahead plus the head to head tiebreaker. Ravens also are 4-3 in the conference to Steelers 6-0.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2020 5:41 am

https://triblive.com/sports/marcus-allen-antoine-brooks-latest-steelers-to-contribute-on-defense/

Marcus Allen, Antoine Brooks latest Steelers to contribute on defense

Quote :
The Pittsburgh Steelers continue to search for the right combinations to their subpackage defense in light of injuries to Devin Bush and Mike Hilton. Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals presented the newest personnel grouping.

A sixth-round pick as a safety and hybrid linebacker out of Maryland, Brooks

Allen was a safety at Penn State and practiced at safety with the Steelers until they moved him to linebacker in August.fifth-round pick out of Penn State in 2018.

“Marcus Allen and Antoine both are very good at blitzing and covering, so just trying to get new bodies in there and get their feet wet,” veteran cornerback Joe Haden said.

was able to watch the last 2 and a half quarters of the game the Steelers defense look to play better against the Bengals to me.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 am

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-shut-down-prized-bengals-rookie-qb-joe-burrow-who-said-i-stunk-a-lot/

Steelers shut down prized Bengals rookie QB Joe Burrow, who said ‘I (stunk) a lot’

Quote :
The Cincinnati Bengals took Burrow with the No. 1 overall pick this past spring after he won the Heisman Trophy in leading LSU to the national title, and, halfway through his first season, Burrow came into Sunday’s game on pace for 4,544 yards in 2020.

what l saw of the game the Steelers secondary was moving around a lot before the snap and played tighter coverage compared to the Cowboys game.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2020 9:31 am

Joe Haden had a really good game and as usual so did TJ. The D played pretty good all around.
Here's the thing. If we don't develop a consistent running game we will eventually be taken out.The only time we seem to pickup yards is when the guards are pulling. Something that Fieler does well. I was listening to Steeler's radio and they made a point about how Ben has the leeway to call audibles and how it's not always Fitchner's fault when plays don't work.I'll buy that to an extent except he designs the plays so even if Ben over-rides it is still a RF designed play. Am I right?Or am I missing something because I think we're way to predictable.

This was still not a complete effort because we rushed for 44 yds on 20 carries.It doesn't even have to be said that 2.2 YPC is not efficient. And the last 2 weeks we have played bottom dwellers in run defense.

LambertWardSteel likes this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2020 12:58 pm

to me the offense is frustrating at times they look unstoppable and other times not much seems to work well. same with the defense they be looking like their on fire then other times it's like they got a bucket of water thrown on them.

glad to see the defense tighten up their game.

LambertWardSteel likes this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2020 2:30 pm

effyou515 wrote:
to me the offense is frustrating at times they look unstoppable and other times not much seems to work well. same with the defense they be looking like their on fire then other times it's like they got a bucket of water thrown on them.

I really hope they can get the running game clicking too.

I thought it was a good defensive effort too. Held burrow to 50% and about 200 yards. They did give up 139 yds on the ground but 30 of those came on the fake punt. They are currently #6 in team defense for the season.

I didn't like the cheats winning but it was awesome watching the ravens lose last night. When the Ravens got the ball last drive, end of game, it started pouring raining, I was like bengals vs steelers - Page 5 312503953

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2020 3:31 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

I really hope they can get the running game clicking too.

I'm really into a strong run game and imposing your will on your opponent. However, I do see value in how they've progressed. I think it's been huge for Ben to throw a ton in the first half of the season. Getting that passing game down between him and his receivers is huge. He missed almost all of last year and needs to ensure he and his receivers are in total lock-step.

Don't be surprised if you see in the next few games a plan that brings the run game back. Tomlin has spoken in the past about having a balance on offense.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Our O-Line is predominantly older and slower. 3 out of 5 of the line ar 31+. Decastro has lost a step and one of his best attributes was pulling and blocking out in space. Pouncey is geting stuffed and has no push or penetration anymore. Villanueva is getting pushed backwards way to often in one on one battles. Father time has caught many of them and its showing.

They are still pretty solid pass blockers but they just can't impose their will on teams in the trenches anymore.

It's not all their fault some of the play calling is predictable and vanilla, the constant runs out of shot gun make it harder for Conner to build up speed going forward to the hole.

Over all though our line is just older and slower and just not as powerful as once was. Time wins all battles.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2020 8:35 pm

imho setting up run with the pass is just as affective as using the run to set up the pass depends on the offensive personnel. aging o-line, TEs that are stronger pass catchers then blockers, 4 or 5 really good WRs and a really good QB. l'd say this Steelers offensive set of personnel would be more efficient using the pass to set up the run. the Tennessee Titans offense is the classic run to set up the pass offense.

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2020 10:00 pm

effyou515 wrote:
imho setting up run with the pass is just as affective as using the run to set up the pass depends on the offensive personnel. aging o-line, TEs that are stronger pass catchers then blockers, 4 or 5 really good WRs and a really good QB. l'd say this Steelers offensive set of personnel would be more efficient using the pass to set up the run. the Tennessee Titans offense is the classic run to set up the pass offense.

honestly after paying attention to the oline, i dont think defenses even need to stack the box to stop the run game. linemen are not even winning their 1 on 1 battles. they get zero push off the ball. when your backs are getting hit before they can even reach the line of scrimmage as often as they do , it is time to make some changes. just watch run plays going to big Al and feilers side...success is rare.
people are bashing the backs , who i agree are not elite, but the blame is being put in the wrong place. even lesser backs can find running room behind an oline that does its job.

effyou515 and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 2:17 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

honestly after paying attention to the oline, i dont think defenses even need to stack the box to stop the run game. linemen are not even winning their 1 on 1 battles. they get zero push off the ball. when your backs are getting hit before they can even reach the line of scrimmage as often as they do , it is time to make some changes. just watch run plays going to big Al and feilers side...success is rare.
people are bashing the backs , who i agree are not elite, but the blame is being put in the wrong place. even lesser backs can find running room behind an oline that does its job.

I concur, the o-line holds up in pass pro but their run blocking has been abysmal the past few weeks. I don't like the stretch/edge running plays that Fichtner seemed to be obsessed with in the first half against the Bungles, but Conner had no open holes to run through regardless. The o-line isn't getting much push, Pouncey and Villanueva are the two worst offenders in this regard. The TEs far too often get pushed around, or whiff on blocks as well. Derek Watt hasn't impressed me either, if not for Rosie Nix's injury history, I think he'd do a better job than Watt has.

They have to figure out their run blocking, we can't keep having these games where Ben is having to make shit up on the fly, Claypool stated that Ben was telling them what routes to run, and then putting the ball there. That's backyard football, and it doesn't speak well to Randy Fichtner and his offense at all.

Was it you that said something about missing Todd Haley? Honestly I agree with that sentiment. Randy Fichtner hasn't impressed me at all, and I feel despite Ben and Haley's rough relationship the offense was much more explosive under Haley. Given Haley had Antonio Brown at his disposal, but we're not exactly short on weapons from a personnel standpoint right now either.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 11:57 am

I believe the issue with the run game is a lack of focus. To this point, the focus has been on pass blocking/protecting Ben. Hell, 46 pass attempts and 0 sacks, that sounds like a good day to me.

Without a preseason, the Steelers have used the regular season developing a complicated, effective passing game. I think they've been successful thus far. If you're a defensive coordinator, how do you stop the Steelers' offense? Which receiver do you double? Who matches up with who? How do you stop the TE in the middle of the field? How do you get pressure on Ben? So far, 9 defensive coordinators have failed to answer these questions.

Ben has been sacked ten times this season, along with Aaron Rodgers, which is the fewest in the league for QBs playing in 9 games. His 22 TDs vs 4 INTs, with 3 INTs against one team (Ten), is an indication he has not been under consistent pressure (1 INT in the other 8 games, that's damned good).

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the line as a group or the individuals on the line.

There's going be a matchup that dictates the need for a solid run game. The coaches will stress run blocking, they will work on it during the week, and those big boys will come out and blow people up. When the Steelers want to flip that switch and run effectively, I think they have the right guys to do the job.

Finally, I'd rather have Fitchner than Haley. Although I respect what Haley did for the offense, the articles that came out after he was canned certainly painted a guy who drove a poisonous environment, with more than one front office person lodging complaints against him. If the 9-0 Steelers were called the Patriots*, every talking head would be yapping about what an awesome job the OC was doing. Ben's release is the fastest in the NFL, per Next Gen Stats, which can be found here: Steelerswire article. And I don't think that happened despite Fitchner. Although there are things about this offense that I think could be better, I know OC is the most under-appreciated job in sports and I'm in the mood to give credit to a staff with the best record in football.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 3:49 pm

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 6:24 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

Love Moats and he brings great analysis to the topics he discusses. I do disagree that this O-Line is too old to run a power run game. Age really shouldn't play a factor in the power blocking scheme. You continue to gain muscle and strength into your 40's, but lose speed and agility. Being 31+ years old shouldn't keep these guys from dominating the man across from them.

You are good at what you work on. I've been saying the run game hasn't been a focus and they haven't been working on it. Here's an an article on Trib Live where Tomlin states: “You always go through lulls in a season where components of your play are lacking, and it requires a re-center of energy and attention and focus,” Tomlin said. “I believe that’s where we are with the run game right now.”
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 7:00 pm

31+ aged line are considered old in todays NFL like Moats said and I stated earlier this line could have Bell in his prime and still not produce. They are slower not by a lot but enough... they are getting stuffed and pushed back when they used to dominate at the line Pouncey is struggling. Time has caught him. Decastro has lost a step where it really shows in the pulling plays and Villanueva is just getting pushed back 2 and 3 yards disrupting anything Conner tries to do when he goes left.

Mix in Fitchners vanilla unimaginative play calling and predictability and you have some serious issues. Fitchner simply doesnt have it in his skill set to make opposing defenses guess very much and it shows.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 10:26 pm

yup the offense should be run like a pass setting up the run, get the opposing defense thinking pass to get the running game that split second advantage.

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 11:24 pm

i think this game where ben threw more intermediate to long passes will help a bit. up until this game those passing attempts over 10 yards were rare.  DB;s had no reason to give a big cushion. sure ben took the occasional shot deep, but probably 95% of the passing was under 10 yard throws. fichtners offense is the polar opposite of ariens. ariens 0 required ben to hold the ball too long and fichtners requires ben to get rid of it right away . haleys 0 leaned a bit more to the ariens offense, but he had more balance in the routes. probably why Ben had his best stats under Haley.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2020 2:18 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i think this game where ben threw more intermediate to long passes will help a bit. up until this game those passing attempts over 10 yards were rare.  DB;s had no reason to give a big cushion. sure ben took the occasional shot deep, but probably 95% of the passing was under 10 yard throws. fichtners offense is the polar opposite of ariens. ariens 0 required ben to hold the ball too long and fichtners requires ben to get rid of it right away . haleys 0 leaned a bit more to the ariens offense, but he had more balance in the routes. probably why Ben had his best stats under Haley.

imho that is the secret get the ball out quickly as possible if Ben sees a favorable match up to go deep take it, get a defense on it's heels then start mixing in more run plays to keep said defense off balance. try to run the legs off of defenses early and keep them on the field as long as possible. l know no OC can call a prefect game.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bengals vs steelers   bengals vs steelers - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

bengals vs steelers
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next