Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMatt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis

Go down 
+7
IowaSteeler927
Great Randino
solardave
Shalieve5090
SteelerFreak58
Mach1
pczach
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
solardave

solardave

Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 12, 2023 4:19 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Mach1 wrote:
4th and 1 they need to adopt the eagles push play.

I literally yell at the TV for this every time we're in short yardage situations like that. Rather than taking the high percentage chance of success though, Matt Canada would rather call passing plays out of the shotgun and nearly get our young QB killed.

Those kinds of decisions destroy the confidence of young players. It's just another feather in the hat of failures that Canada wears and I'm beyond sick of this clown.

First...I'm not defending Canada because I agree with everything you said. My issue here is with KP. This article points some things out that if we're honest are red flags.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/10/11/23912415/its-time-to-be-real-about-kenny-pickett-matt-canada-steelers-nfl-draft-2023-season-baltimore-ravens

Only time and a new OC will tell us if he is in fact our franchise QB or a fill in for the next guy not named Mitch or Mason.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 12, 2023 1:48 pm

solardave wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Mach1 wrote:
4th and 1 they need to adopt the eagles push play.

I literally yell at the TV for this every time we're in short yardage situations like that. Rather than taking the high percentage chance of success though, Matt Canada would rather call passing plays out of the shotgun and nearly get our young QB killed.

Those kinds of decisions destroy the confidence of young players. It's just another feather in the hat of failures that Canada wears and I'm beyond sick of this clown.

First...I'm not defending Canada because I agree with everything you said. My issue here is with KP. This article points some things out that if we're honest are red flags.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/10/11/23912415/its-time-to-be-real-about-kenny-pickett-matt-canada-steelers-nfl-draft-2023-season-baltimore-ravens

Only time and a new OC will tell us if he is in fact  our franchise QB or a fill in for the next guy not named Mitch or Mason.
My opinion (which undoubtedly many will NOT share), its is too early to count Kenny out. He has shown that he has the ability to be great. Down the stretch last season, there were few better than him in the entire NFL. During Preseason (and yes - I know preseason doesn't count, but it Can be a tell), he looked great. Somewhere along the way he has lost his mojo. He has not played well. But I have full confidence that he can get back on track. I may be in the minority on this, and that's fine, but that's where I stand with him. Bye week could be very good for him.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 13, 2023 5:59 am

I really hope I'm wrong. There is plenty of blame for our offensive woes and Canada should have a target on his back. We need to replace Cole with a starting center and show Chuks the door as well as Canada. Maybe Moore can hold down the RT job.
The only way to find out if KP is the long term solution is to give him the support that he currently is lacking and go from there.

vasteeler, SteelerFreak58 and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 14, 2023 2:39 am

i have a feeling that by the end of the year, many of us will have QB on our draft wish list.

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 14, 2023 11:47 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i have a feeling that by the end of the year, many of us will have QB on our draft wish list.

I am already there... I hoped he would work out but I am not liking what he has shown so far. He's not very accurate and he is showing a lot of negative traits that make it hard to be a successful QB in the NFL... happy feet, bailing on clean pockets, bailing after first read.

I can't say I blame the kid though. Mason Cole is terrible this year getting constantly pushed back in his face, Moore and Okorafor have been just as bad.

The problem is let's say Jones works out at LT and you can move Moore over to RT and he contributes better you still have Cole getting destroyed right in the middle fucking up your pass and run game...

Right now... and I am gonna make a lot of fans upset saying this but it's now going to take 1 or 2 years to fix things properly on the offensive side of the ball. You have to draft a #1 Center, you have get a quality Right Tackle, you have to hope Jones is deserving of that #1 pick at LT. Even with those changes Pickett still looks like he will struggle with accuracy issues. That's why it's gonna be a few years out before this team wins playoff games. Our OLine isn't any good and our QB isn't either but might improve if the Oline does but that's a lot of hoping right now...

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 14, 2023 4:21 pm

I agree with you guys that KP has definitely underperformed. My opinion, even with Canada's sub-par offensive play calling, our offense would still be doing better if he were playing better. Of that there is no doubt. Perfect example was the 4th down call where we should have QB snuck for the yard, but Canada called a pass play. Ironically, that play would have still worked if KP had done his job. The blocking was there. Receiver was open. Easy pitch-catch for first down. Sub-optimal call but still would have worked.

As far as drafts go, next year's first round pick should go for a Center. First two picks, Center and next-Casey Hampton. Therefore, QB not on the list, at least not one that would replace Kenny. It would make no sense to draft a first round QB and still have a sucky line. And we know we're not drafting high enough to snap Caleb Williams.

Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 14, 2023 5:53 pm

Sorry, couldn't get either of these to show here so I am posting links.

This link shows that Kenny Pickett faces the most perfect coverage plays in the NFL. In other words, the most plays where no receivers are open.

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/10/one-stat-shows-the-steelers-pass-game-is-making-life-hard-on-kenny-pickett/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This link explains why Brock Purdy is doing so well and how good the offensive system he plays in is. It also shows how bad the Steelers offensive system is.

https://twitter.com/arjunmenon100/status/1712212124141809820?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1712212124141809820%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 14, 2023 7:16 pm

pczach wrote:
Sorry, couldn't get either of these to show here so I am posting links.

This link shows that Kenny Pickett faces the most perfect coverage plays in the NFL. In other words, the most plays where no receivers are open.

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/10/one-stat-shows-the-steelers-pass-game-is-making-life-hard-on-kenny-pickett/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This link explains why Brock Purdy is doing so well and how good the offensive system he plays in is. It also shows how bad the Steelers offensive system is.

https://twitter.com/arjunmenon100/status/1712212124141809820?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1712212124141809820%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
Good analysis, it certainly helps give a clearer picture of Pickett and how hard his job is under the current offense.

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 14, 2023 11:27 pm

there is no doubt Canada is a huge turd in the punchbowl , but kenny pissing in the punchbowl doesnt help the situation. unless my lying eyes are deceiving me, i have seen him badly miss open receivers in every game so far. he is leaving a lot of yards and 1st downs on the field.

to clarify my earlier post about wishing for a qb, that doesnt mean i think they SHOULD draft a QB. i agree with randino that the Oline needs a lot more overhauling. seems like decades now every season they claim a commitment to the running game, yet they always do the bare minimum to address the issue.  mid and late round picks and tier 2 free agents didnt work 10 years ago and still isnt working.

i sounded the alarm on mason cole when they picked him up. theres a reason the cardinals gave up on him after only 2 years. he was terrible at center in Minnesota so they moved him to guard where he supposedly played a little better, yet not enough for Minnesota to keep him. i'm guessing thats why tomlin went after him. he fed tomlins obsession for needing olinemen who has experience at 2 positions.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 2:00 am

None of this is going to change as long as tomlin is around.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 6:31 am

Mach1 wrote:

A strong argument can be made to fire him based on what a lot of teams would do. Someone said in another post that this situation reminds them of Marvin Lewis. I think I replied that it does for me too minus the thugs...Burfict and Jones being kept around. Tomlin just keeps people willing to work on the cheap. You know..3rd and 4th round Olinemen expected to start. Brings in over the hill guys like Peterson and starts him while keeping JP Jr on the bench. In my opinion 2 guys who should have started day one against the 49ers are Joey Porter Jr. and Broderick Jones.

Master_Of_Puppets, IowaSteeler927 and LambertWardSteel like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 12:00 pm

solardave wrote:
Mach1 wrote:

A strong argument can be made to fire him based on what a lot of teams would do. Someone said in another post that this situation reminds them of Marvin Lewis. I think I replied that it does for me too minus the thugs...Burfict and Jones being kept around. Tomlin just keeps people willing to work on the cheap. You know..3rd and 4th round Olinemen expected to start. Brings in over the hill guys like Peterson and starts him while keeping JP Jr on the bench. In my opinion 2 guys who should have started day one against the 49ers are Joey Porter Jr. and Broderick Jones.
Question for all you here, does anyone really ever see the Rooneys letting Mike Tomlin go? I for one don't see it ever happening, unless they have a really stinker season or two. I think it would take a couple sub-.500 seasons in a row.

What do you all think? I'm not saying what the fanbase wants, I'm saying, what is realistic, given the Rooneys approach to things?

solardave, Stella Nation and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 1:01 pm

Unfortunately they'll keep tomlin around. And it's going to be the same unprepared under coached team for the foreseeable years to come. An occasional playoff appearance here and there, but this team will never sniff another superbowl with tomlin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Master_Of_Puppets, solardave, IowaSteeler927, Stella Nation, LambertWardSteel and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 2:30 pm

as long as that stadium is full every sunday , Rooney doesn't give a fuck. Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 1401235891

solardave, IowaSteeler927, Stella Nation, LambertWardSteel and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 2:37 pm

solardave wrote:
Mach1 wrote:

You are right in most teams would have fired him by now. I've always felt a sort of pride towards the Steelers in that they were so stable and hung onto their coaches. There comes a time, though, were you need to make changes. I think Noll was the greatest coach in NFL history. I do not know how much his retirement was pushed or voluntary. If a time comes where they need to move on from him then anyone can be replaced. I don't think the ownership is playing by those same rules anymore.

The entire culture of the team has changed. This will be another year of playing for a non-losing season, needing 4 other teams to lose last week of season to get a Wild Card, then giving 45 points up round 1 if they get in. We were deep into the playoffs the majority of Cowher's seasons. Noll had the greatest decade in NFL history in the 70s, then when all those players retired in the 80s still took rebuilding teams with bad QBs to AFC CG in 84 and just short of it in 89. Cowher took the team Noll built in the 90s and turned them into a powerhouse and 6 consecutive playoff appearances

Tomlin's best seasons were with strong defensive coordinator. He hasn't had that since LeBeau left...or was pushed out. I'm not into firing coaches, but the time may be coming for a change. At minimum he needs held accountable for these hirings and retaining these coaches who are not getting the job done.

solardave and Stella Nation like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 9:18 pm

unlike with tomlin having the media with his nuts in their mouths , i remember the media not being very kind to chuck noll. saying things like "the game has passed him by". in other words he wasnt able to adapt from 70's football to 80's football. the reality is noll was never able to replicate the draft success of the 70's. he simply ran out of talented players.
the same thing has happened to tomlin. except he ran out of cowhers talented players. dont get me wrong. some good players have been added under tomlin, simply not enough in a short span of time to make a great team. he is always missing pieces. nolls 70 teams had no glaring weaknesses. i guess not having a losing season , trumps 4 SB wins.
should the steelers have parted with noll ? yes. 2 playoff wins in 12 years is a good reason to let a coach go.

how many SB's would cowher have had if he had Ben in the 90's instead of the collection of qb's he had to work with ? QB was really his only missing piece for most of his tenure.

solardave and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 10:23 pm

Could have had Dan Marino...😭😭😭

IowaSteeler927 and Stella Nation like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 11:25 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Could have had Dan Marino...😭😭😭

yeah but we got david woodly..he was almost as good. Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 1883569342

IowaSteeler927 likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 17, 2023 8:43 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
unlike with tomlin having the media with his nuts in their mouths , i remember the media not being very kind to chuck noll. saying things like "the game has passed him by". in other words he wasnt able to adapt from 70's football to 80's football. the reality is noll was never able to replicate the draft success of the 70's. he simply ran out of talented players.
the same thing has happened to tomlin. except he ran out of cowhers talented players. dont get me wrong. some good players have been added under tomlin, simply not enough in a short span of time to make a great team. he is always missing pieces. nolls 70 teams had no glaring weaknesses. i guess not having a losing season , trumps 4 SB wins.
should the steelers have parted with noll ? yes. 2 playoff wins in 12 years is a good reason to let a coach go.

how many SB's would cowher have had if he had Ben in the 90's instead of the collection of qb's he had to work with ? QB was really his only missing piece for most of his tenure.

Noll had Bill Nunn. He pulled off the Swann/ Stallworth coup + Donnie Shell and Mel Blount.

Stella Nation likes this post

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 18, 2023 8:22 am

solardave wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

Noll had Bill Nunn. He pulled off the Swann/ Stallworth coup + Donnie Shell and Mel Blount.

Part of being a great coach and great ownership is hiring the right staff to gather a great team and that's what I hold the most against Tomlin/Art II. For years now we lack high quality coordinators and coaches. I think Tomlin could be a great coach if he would be surrounded with a great staff, but it's his own damn fault (and Art II's for not holding Tomlin responsible for it) for not having one and always wanting to have a bunch of nobody's who only obey him and who rarely have a positive impact on our performance.

vasteeler, solardave, LambertWardSteel and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 18, 2023 9:22 pm

will picket have this year a...

300 YD PASSING GAME ?
4 TD PASSING GAME ?
a 70+ % completion passing game with over 20 attempts ?
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 19, 2023 12:57 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

300 YD PASSING GAME ?
4 TD PASSING GAME ?

1. Maybe
2. Nope
3. Possibly but if it happens it will be because of attempted come from behind win...

All 3 in one game? Not a chance.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 19, 2023 2:27 am

I'm not so focused on the stats, I just want to see Kenny return to what we saw in the 2nd half of last year and in pre-season. I still believe in him and his abilities. Here's hoping for a bounce back.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 19, 2023 3:47 am

KP is a victim of Canada's stupidity but he isn't helping matters with bad throws and happy feet.
300 YD PASSING GAME ?
4 TD PASSING GAME ?

That's why I don't think we'll see any of these from him this year unless he settles down and someone not named Matt or Canada calls the plays.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 19, 2023 4:07 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

300 YD PASSING GAME ?
4 TD PASSING GAME ?

I don't think so. I'm not feeling it. While KP is to blame a bit for a lack of execution and some poor throws I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he's the QB that's seen the highest amount of "perfect coverage" from a statistical standpoint. I don't know how they measure that metric, but it obviously suggests our receivers are getting open at a lesser rate than other receiving corps in the NFL. If that's in fact the case, then one can hardly blame just Pickett. If he's dropping back and his receivers are blanketed the majority of the time then it's forcing him to have to be near perfect. I kind of believe it because a lot of the time I'm watching these receivers it doesn't appear to me that they're getting a lot of separation. In other words they're not making KP's life easier. Whether that's on the players, or the scheme it's hard to say. I think it's a combination of both.

I would like to think that getting DJ back will help open things up a bit. While Pickens is a weapon and has a large catch radius he's not a burner, and often times he's having to make contested catches because of his lack of separation. I think that DJ is the more polished route-runner of the two. This is something that we desperately need from the receiving corps right now.

So I don't really forsee KP having a monster statistical performance this season, but if the o-line gels and the receivers start to play better as we get some guys back healthy I wouldn't just completely write it off either. That all being said my confidence in this offensive unit and the coaching staff is next to nothing right now. So I guess the only way they can go is up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis   Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Matt Canada is Holding Back the Steelers Offense - by Sharp Football Analysis
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next