Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers meeting with Russell Wilson Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson

Go down 
+3
Master_Of_Puppets
SteelerFreak58
Shalieve5090
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson Empty
PostSubject: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 12:21 pm

Mutual interest between the two sides. I'm kinda mixed on this one. He hasn't been that good in a couple years but if he comes here cheap its better than what we have
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 1:29 pm

Shalieve5090 wrote:
Mutual interest between the two sides. I'm kinda mixed on this one. He hasn't been that good in a couple years but if he comes here cheap its better than what we have

Denver has to pay him 34 million this year guaranteed money. He stated he would play for vet minimum if a team took a chance on him. That is right up the Steelers proverbial alley... low cost with possible high upside. He knows how to win especially in close games. He is 36 but in the Smith offense he doesn't need to utilize a lot of speed running wise.

I would rather they get someone younger but him as a backup QB challenging Kenny in camp wouldn't be a terrible thing.

The thing is Kenny is still QB #1. I know Tomlin said their would be competition in camp but that is a lot of bullshit. Unless Kenny comes in and totally fucks things up he is going to get another shot. The organization knows they fucked up big time keeping Canada around and having Mason Cole at Center. Them  firing Canada midseason and cutting Cole so early is proof they know they fucked up.

I am not saying Kenny deserves the #1 spot he should get a shot to compete with whoever they bring in but I seriously doubt Tomlin would admit to making a huge mistake drafting him round #1... his history of giving his Round #1 busts a long leash is proof... Jarvis Jones... Artie Burns...
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 1:58 pm

wow. so does that mean the powers that be are full of shit when they express their confidence in kenny ?
Wilson isnt going anywhere to be a backup , so that means they are not sold on kenny as the starter, which means they are willing to forgo the last opportunity to evaluate kenny before they are compelled to decide on the 5th year option.

according to arthur moats, it does not benefit wilson to ask for more than vet minimum, because taking more from his new team just lessens the financial burden from the bronco's. meaning he has nothing to gain financially. his 2024 salary is set in stone.

my guess is wilson will be looking for a longer term verbal commitment beyond 2024 from his new team.

personally i think wilson offers a lot more than Ben did before they gave him his last contract extension in... 2019 ??

IowaSteeler927, Stella Nation and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 3:29 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
wow. so does that mean the powers that be are full of shit when they express their confidence in kenny ?
Wilson isnt going anywhere to be a backup , so that means they are not sold on kenny as the starter, which means they are willing to forgo the last opportunity to evaluate kenny before they are compelled to decide on the 5th year option.

according to arthur moats, it does not benefit wilson to ask for more than vet minimum, because taking more from his new team just lessens the financial burden from the bronco's. meaning he has nothing to gain financially. his 2024 salary is set in stone.

my guess is wilson will be looking for a longer term verbal commitment beyond 2024 from his new team.

personally i think wilson offers a lot more than Ben did before they gave him his last contract extension in... 2019 ??  

MoPs bullshitter sniffer is buzzing!!!Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson 3562723908

Master_Of_Puppets, IowaSteeler927 and Stella Nation like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 7:28 pm

My prediction is that Russell will sign with us. Will that be a good thing? Don't know. He used to be one of my favourite QB's until I started hearing about how self centered he is. Who knows about stories, but I fear there's something to it.

Regardless, the salary is not going to be an issue. For the Steelers, they get a proven veteran on the cheapest deal possible. For Russell, he gets to work with a proven successful OC, a rebuilt line (provided they do what we think they will do in the draft), 2 stud running backs, one really good (yet diva) WR - Pickens, a very good TE, and possibly another rookie WR. Yes, I am going under the assumption they trade DJ and use that pick to get another WR. Plus, Russell gets to work with Mike Tomlin, a leader of men who is one of the most respected coaches in the NFL (whether you guys like that statement or not, across the league - players, coaches, etc - he gets very high marks).

Master_Of_Puppets and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 12:12 am

the question is, are the steelers looking at him for a 1 year rental , or will they offer him a multi year deal ? i'm not sure of the rules surrounding this situation. can they offer him a multi year contact as long as they only pay him vet minimum this year ?

Great Randino likes this post

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 3:50 am

This really, really doesn't speak well to KP for me. If they had any real confidence in him they wouldn't be trying to go out and grab a vet of Wilson's pedigree. I have pretty much lost all confidence in the kid, at least until he proves me wrong. Just don't see the accuracy, decision making, and talent needed to perform at a consistently high level as a starter in the NFL. If Wilson wants to sign here, I wouldn't be mad about it. Who knows, maybe he's got a little more left in the tank and being out of the cesspool that has been Denver should be a big boost of confidence for the guy.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 6:47 am

Honestly, I don't have a good feeling about signing him. What if he beats KP out and is the starter, only to pull a Trubiski on us playing like shit. Then we bounce back to KP or Malone or Brister. See where I'm going here?
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:04 am

solardave wrote:
Honestly, I don't have a good feeling about signing him. What if he beats KP out and is the starter, only to pull a Trubiski on us playing like shit. Then we bounce back to KP or Malone or Brister. See where I'm going here?

In Wilson's defense he did throw 26 TDs vs 8 interceptions last year before being benched. The Broncos benched him because of a Non-injury clause in his contract. The Broncos wanted him to agree to remove it and he refused.

Wilson had a passer rating of 98.0 with 3,070 yards, 26 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in 15 games in 2023. That is ridiculously better then Pickett.

Picketts 2023 season stats ; YDS. 2,070. 29th ; TD. 6. Tied-37th ; INT. 4. Tied-70th ; QBR. 38.1. 27th.

So Wilson threw 20 more TDs then Pickett, 4 more interceptions and 1000 more yards then him basically playing the same amount of games with 60 point difference in QB rating with Wilson at 98 and Pickett at 38...

The more I am looking at Wilson the more I want him on this team. He may have 2 or 3 years left in his tank and he may be able to get us some playoff victories and if he can do that for Vet minimum this year we'll then God damn let's do this.

Pickett can fight for his job they did a huge disservice to him with Canada and a shitty Oline but he still had a lot of issues beyond that that I have mentioned previously.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 3:04 pm

solardave wrote:

Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson 903924208  snap out of it man. you gotta stop living in your fears. seriously i dont see any downside to bringing in wilson on a one year or even a 2 year deal. if you go longer than that it might get a bit sketchy. i dont think wilson was the problem in denver. when i watch the 2023 highlight tape below, i see a QB that is still superior in every way to what i have saw in picket thus far.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:16 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
solardave wrote:

Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson 903924208  snap out of it man. you gotta stop living in your fears. seriously i dont see any downside to bringing in wilson on a one year or even a 2 year deal. if you go longer than that it might get a bit sketchy. i dont think wilson was the problem in denver. when i watch the 2023 highlight tape below, i see a QB that is still superior in every way to what i have saw in picket thus far.

Yeah, Solar Dave, Snap Out of It! Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson 1797695198

Hey - competition is needed. If Kenny's gonna be the guy, he needs to prove it and beat out Wilson. If he can't, wellllll.....

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptySat Mar 09, 2024 12:30 am

the only one that should be concerned about the possible addition of wilson is Pickett. since when is having options and stiff competition a bad thing ? sure Russ is on the downside of his career. but he still has quite a ways to fall before he hits the level of play we have seen from kenny. dont let the W/L column fool you
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 8:46 am

I want a QB that can win games when our D is not playing well. Is that KP? Not from what we've seen so far. Is it Wilson? Who knows? We've seen QBs his age go downhill in a hurry. Of course, this is all speculation. I do agree that if we sign Wilson and he plays even at 90% of what he's been he'd be an upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 2:12 pm

solardave wrote:
I want a QB that can win games when our D is not playing well. Is that KP? Not from what we've seen so far. Is it Wilson? Who knows? We've seen QBs his age go downhill in a hurry. Of course, this is all speculation. I do agree that if we sign Wilson and he plays even at 90% of what he's been he'd be an upgrade.
One thing Kenny has done though, is a number of 4th quarter comebacks. That's why, despite the abysmal numbers, I'm not ready to give up on him yet. There is SOMETHING there. Is there enough? Don't know. But Field's value is dropping. Might be had for a 3rd or even as low as a 4th at this point. But Fields is the opposite. He does NOT have the 4th quarter comebacks. Seems to do the opposite down the stretch.

Also looks like we might trade DJ to Dallas.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 3:33 pm

from what im reading, the bronco's screwed DJ's trade value by trading jerry judy for a late round 5th and 6th.  judy has more yards and td's than DJ over the last 2 years and is 3 years younger.
judy will be on his 5th year option and cost the browns 13 million this year compared to 10 million for DJ.
if they cant get at least a late 3rd for DJ it might be better to keep him. they will be forced to add WR to the top of the draft list. they could look in FA but for  10 million or less which they would save on DJ , they would be looking at a less productive receivers than DJ. guys better suited as a 3rd receiver than a #2.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 3:51 pm

Great Randino wrote:
solardave wrote:
One thing Kenny has done though, is a number of 4th quarter comebacks.  That's why, despite the abysmal numbers, I'm not ready to give up on him yet.  There is SOMETHING there.  Is there enough?  Don't know.  But Field's value is dropping.  Might be had for a 3rd or even as low as a 4th at this point.  But Fields is the opposite.  He does NOT have the 4th quarter comebacks.  Seems to do the opposite down the stretch.

fixing something you fucked up doesnt deserve a pat on the back. he didnt come off the bench and save the day. his abysmal play and lack of production for most of the first 3 quarters is the reason they always got behind to begin with. 13 TD's and 13 INT's in 25 games Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson 1505004552
if you want to hand out credit, it should go to the defense and the opponent's incompetence  for keeping the game in reach. Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson 1401235891

Last edited by Master_Of_Puppets on Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 3:55 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
solardave wrote:
One thing Kenny has done though, is a number of 4th quarter comebacks.  That's why, despite the abysmal numbers, I'm not ready to give up on him yet.  There is SOMETHING there.  Is there enough?  Don't know.  But Field's value is dropping.  Might be had for a 3rd or even as low as a 4th at this point.  But Fields is the opposite.  He does NOT have the 4th quarter comebacks.  Seems to do the opposite down the stretch.

fixing something you fucked up doesnt deserve a pat on the back. he didnt come off the bench and save the day. his abysmal play for 3 quarters is the reason they always got behind to begin with.
if you want to hand out credit, it should go to the defense and the opponent's incompetence  for keeping the game in reach. Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson 1401235891  
Fair.

But at least he was able to perform strongly when the game was on the line.  Unless Fields.

And might I point out, he wasn't the only one sucking for 3 quarters. Running game non-existent, undisciplined receivers dropping passes and running the wrong routes (or just simply not putting in effort), very pass offensive line play. It was, quite simply, a team effort.

Also, Fields wasn't handcuffed with Canada.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 4:28 pm

Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
solardave wrote:

fixing something you fucked up doesnt deserve a pat on the back. he didnt come off the bench and save the day. his abysmal play for 3 quarters is the reason they always got behind to begin with.
Fair.

But at least he was able to perform strongly when the game was on the line.  Unless Fields.  

And might I point out, he wasn't the only one sucking for 3 quarters.  Running game non-existent, undisciplined receivers dropping passes and running the wrong routes (or just simply not putting in effort), very pass offensive line play.  It was, quite simply, a team effort.

Also, Fields wasn't handcuffed with Canada.

thats also fair.
it is 100% a team sport. not often can you point to a single player and say they won or lost the game. there is 60-70 offensive plays to scrutinize in a game. players are only responsible for their own individual effort. a QB can throw an interception to end a game and you can think that cost the game. then you might look back a few plays and find a big dropped pass that likely would have changed everything.

but as my great grand pappy always said, if you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. if i'm too believe my lyin eyes, kenny was part of the problem more often than he was part of the solution. kenny simply left to many opportunities on the field for my liking. be it not seeing open receivers or simply missing easy throws.

the part of your statement i have high lighted is 100% coaching failures , thats why i shit on mike tomlin so often.

Great Randino likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 7:57 pm

Lots of good points. I can't argue that at all. No doubt Kenny didn't play as well as he should have - despite everything else, if you completely miss an open receiver, that's on you.

He certainly needs to elevate his game this upcoming year or his NFL career is likely to be a lot shorter than he hopes.

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 10:07 pm

Great Randino wrote:
Lots of good points.  I can't argue that at all.  No doubt Kenny didn't play as well as he should have - despite everything else, if you completely miss an open receiver, that's on you.

He certainly needs to elevate his game this upcoming year or his NFL career is likely to be a lot shorter than he hopes.

i think he can and will elevate his game. the question is how high. he has quite a ways to go to just be on baker mayfields level. the fact that they retained the same QB coach doesnt give me much hope. every thing about kenny's game regressed from year 1 to two so why would they keep him ? Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson 2829330259
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 10:32 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Lots of good points.  I can't argue that at all.  No doubt Kenny didn't play as well as he should have - despite everything else, if you completely miss an open receiver, that's on you.

i think he can and will elevate his game. the question is how high. he has quite a ways to go to just be on baker mayfields level. the fact that they retained the same QB coach doesnt give me much hope. every thing about Kenny's game regressed from year 1 to two so why would they keep him ? Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson 2829330259

Well, Arthur Smith will be overseeing the offense now - do you think that could impact the QB coach's approach? Or maybe it was just a lot of Canada casting a pall over the entire offense. Once they let him go, the offense as a whole improved.
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 11:58 pm

Looks like Wilson is signing with Pittsburgh.

Master_Of_Puppets and Stella Nation like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 12:28 am

Shalieve5090 wrote:
Looks like Wilson is signing with Pittsburgh.
Just saw that too, but you beat me to it! Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson 2913999526
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 1:03 am

I think a lot of people are gonna like him (Wilson) in the Smith offense if they can get the Oline issues worked out. Wilson does well in PA and quickly roll outs and bootlegs.

With a quality run game Wilson can pick apart a defense. Jus5 look at how he did that with Lynch running the ball. They had a very prolific offense.

It's a quality Steelers signing smart use of money big upside if he comes in gets TDs in an offense that has struggled mightily the last few years to do so.

He has the capability to win Playoff games. That matters.

Stella Nation likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 1:13 am

Adan Schetner says it will be a one year deal. so Kenny could still start in his year 4 without committing to the 5th year contract. if he produces they can offer him long term. if not they keep looking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next