Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson

Go down 
+3
Master_Of_Puppets
SteelerFreak58
Shalieve5090
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 1:29 am

Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Lots of good points.  I can't argue that at all.  No doubt Kenny didn't play as well as he should have - despite everything else, if you completely miss an open receiver, that's on you.

He certainly needs to elevate his game this upcoming year or his NFL career is likely to be a lot shorter than he hopes.

i think he can and will elevate his game. the question is how high. he has quite a ways to go to just be on baker mayfields level. the fact that they retained the same QB coach doesnt give me much hope. every thing about Kenny's game regressed from year 1 to two so why would they keep him ? Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 2829330259

Well, Arthur Smith will be overseeing the offense now - do you think that could impact the QB coach's approach?   Or maybe it was just a lot of Canada casting a pall over the entire offense.  Once they let him go, the offense as a whole improved.

i dont see how the QB coach would be effected by the OC. i mean i'm assuming a QB coach is like a personal trainer or a tennis trainer. someone to point out your flaws in your footwork or throwing motion. Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 2087824411  maybe they sit next to the QB in film study and point out to them what to look for to read the defenses. Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 2087824411
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 7:26 am

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2024/3/10/24076836/russell-wilson-steelers-rumors-signing-contract-strengths-weaknesses-2023-season

Master_Of_Puppets, Stella Nation and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 3:56 pm

so now what ? what do you do for a 3rd QB ? bring in a cheap shitty vet ? draft one ? snatch up an undrafted ?
i would take a swing at a day 3 QB. i dont see a point in having 2 backups that i know does not have a future as a starter. i want a wild card on the roster. someone that probably sucks, but you just dont know. a surprise so to speak.
i mean i guess at this point kenny is still kind of the wild card. he could still surprise in the new system. Khan even in a round of about way blamed kenny's failures on Canada and his shitty offense.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 4:09 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
so now what ? what do you do for a 3rd QB ? bring in a cheap shitty vet ? draft one ? snatch up an undrafted ?
i would take a swing at a day 3 QB. i dont see a point in having 2 backups that i know does not have a future as a starter.  i want a wild card on the roster. someone that probably sucks, but you just dont know. a surprise so to speak.
i mean i guess at this point kenny is still kind of the wild card. he could still surprise in the new system. Khan even in a round of about way blamed kenny's failures on Canada and his shitty offense.

Go get a round 6 or 7 QB in the draft that is accurate and processes quickly. He doesn't have to have a cannon just someone that can put the ball in good spots and quickly. Let him develope this next year behind Wilson and Pickett and battle next year if Wilson is gone.

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 4:16 pm

If the Steelers would have scored 1 more TD in each game they would have been 12-5 that makes a huge difference. I think Wilson gives them that ability to put up 10 more points a game if we fix the Oline.

It's a temporary quick fix to push Kenny or have him sit behind Wilson either way the Steeler Offense should be better with Canada and Cole gone. Hopefully they get a Tackle to replace Moore too.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 6:07 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
If the Steelers would have scored 1 more TD in each game they would have been 12-5 that makes a huge difference. I think Wilson gives them that ability to put up 10 more points a game if we fix the Oline.

It's a temporary quick fix to push Kenny or have him sit behind Wilson either way the Steeler Offense should be better with Canada and Cole gone. Hopefully they get a Tackle to replace Moore too.
so if we dont see kenny play at all in 2024, do you pick up his 5th year option next may ? the 5th year option for fields this year is 25 million. do you gamble before you see another year of kenny starting and blindly commit to paying him 25+ million for 2026 ?
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 6:20 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

so if we dont see kenny play at all in 2024, do you pick up his 5th year option next may ? the 5th year option for fields this year is 25 million. do you gamble before you see another year of kenny starting and blindly commit to paying him 25+ million for 2026 ?
I think you make a strong point - and if anything, the strongest point for not signing Russell Wilson. And that is, you need to find out in 2024 if Kenny has it or not. If Russell starts (and I'd think he's coming here with that expectation), and Kenny doesn't play at all, then no - you don't pick up his 5th year option. And you didn't get that one last look to see if he's the guy.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 6:44 pm

Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

I think you make a strong point - and if anything, the strongest point for not signing Russell Wilson.  And that is, you need to find out in 2024 if Kenny has it or not.  If Russell starts (and I'd think he's coming here with that expectation), and Kenny doesn't play at all, then no - you don't pick up his 5th year option.  And you didn't get that one last look to see if he's the guy.
not necessarily. not picking up his 5th year doesnt mean he cant get a new contract. they still have 2025 to start him. they would just have to pay him more if he looks like the guy. if he plays better but not quite a franchise guy yet they can offer less than 25 million. worst case scenario would be kenny balls out in 2025, but has a huge chip on his shoulder and doesnt want to play for the steelers anymore. Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 2087824411
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 7:08 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

I don't pick it up. If Wilson leaves after next year you tell him (Kenny) to battle in camp with another young QB. If he wins and plays well then you offer him a new contract mid-year or offer him something prior to FA. Doesn't matter to me offer him something before camp breaks if he looks that damn good but he has a lot to prove in my eyes.

Personally I don't see him being the franchise QB. Like I said they fucked up keeping Canada and Cole and it could have hurt his growth. However, he sure didn't make some real easy throws, reads, and missed wide open receivers when they were there. A lot of that blame can and should be place at Tomlins feet but we are stuck with Mike Tomlin for a long time to come no matter how much we might bitch about it. Some of it is purely Kenny's issues.

Finding a Franchise QB isn't easy. It's a coin toss with them coming out of college a lot of times it's worse when you have huge gaping holes on your Oline that you don't fill properly... fix the Oline then get your QB#1 out of College.

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:15 pm

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 4:05 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

Gotta be better than Harvin. Right?

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 4:52 am

He's a lot better than Harvin. In fact, he's a top 10 punter. Last season he had a career year and an average of 47.7 yards per punt (the Steelers record is 47) and over his career his average is 47.3 yards.
Last year he had 30 punts downed inside the 20 and 3 touchbacks. The last 3 years 104 punts inside the 20 vs 11 touchbacks. Harvin in his career is 75 vs 14.

Master_Of_Puppets, SteelerFreak58 and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 10:39 am

Stella Nation wrote:
He's a lot better than Harvin. In fact, he's a top 10 punter. Last season he had a career year and an average of 47.7 yards per punt (the Steelers record is 47) and over his career his average is 47.3 yards.
Last year he had 30 punts downed inside the 20 and 3 touchbacks. The last 3 years 104 punts inside the 20 vs 11 touchbacks. Harvin in his career is 75 vs 14.
Its a shame Pressley didn't work out. I still think he has a booming leg but there is no reason to accept 28th best at the punter position (or wherever he was ranked). It's just too easy to replace with someone much better. Johnston, former buckeye. Hard to believe he was available, but glad he was. Definitely an upgrade.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2024 2:05 pm

For anyone doubting Wilson will help this team get to the Playoffs and help win some games...

Last 4 years

107 TDs
38 INTs
97.6 Passer Rating

His 1 bad year coming in to the Broncos under Hackett he still was able to throw 16TDs vs 11 INTs with an 84.4 Passer Rating. Which is phenomenally better then either of Picketts 2 years even combined...

There is no competition. They may say so to the media but Wilson on a bad day simply out performs Pickett in almost any aspect.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2024 4:37 pm

If he takes us to the promised land, we'll all be happy with it, regardless of the years afterwards - am I right?

Master_Of_Puppets and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson   Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers meeting with Russell Wilson
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2