Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWilson working Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Wilson working

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 3:15 pm

This is really good to hear. Wilson working with receivers!

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/pat-freiermuth-steelers-receivers-train-with-russell-wilson/

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyFri Apr 05, 2024 2:43 am

Tomlin said there would be a QB competition this year. I'm sure he never imagined these 2 competing, though.
I'm also as sure this will be a real competition. If I'm Fields, reading all the press Wilson is getting, I'm thinking I can't wait to take his job away.
I believe our offense has the potential to be top shelf with either of them at the helm.
Shore up the line with a true center and a RT, so Jones can slide over to LT and watch them work.
Snag a WR in RD 3.

SteelerFreak58 and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyFri Apr 05, 2024 11:43 am

solardave wrote:
Tomlin said there would be a QB competition this year. I'm sure he never imagined these 2 competing, though.
I'm also as sure this will be a real competition. If I'm Fields, reading all the press Wilson is getting, I'm thinking I can't wait to take his job away.
I believe our offense has the potential to be top shelf with either of them at the helm.
Shore up the line with a true center and a RT, so Jones can slide over to LT and watch them work.
Snag a WR in RD 3.
I love that plan! I recently saw a report that the Steelers are NOT looking to go Center round 1. Real or fake-out?

What are the odds of them going WR round 1? Personally, I still want that C - JPJ - round one, but my second choice would be OT round 1 C round 2. I'm not sure they will be patient enough to wait for round 3 for a WR though.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyFri Apr 05, 2024 4:22 pm

not that it means anything, but the steelers have not had Jackson powers johnson in for a visit to date. they have how ever had 1st rd projected OT's Mims and Fuaga in for visits.
they may or may not have had center zach frazier in for a visit. he would not count against the 30 allowed visits.
all of the WR's they have had in for visits are 2nd and 3rd round projections.
the curious visit they had was QB micheal pennix. perhaps they think he may drop and could scoop him up on the cheap.

current roster...

1 center
5 OT
9 WR

i would have thought considering only having 1 center who is a PS player, would dictate maybe taking a looksy at more centers ... Wilson working 2829330259
why are they seemingly ignoring a position that has been a problem for years ? is it a smoke screen to not show who they really want so another team doesnt jump the line and take who they really covet ? the phins signed a FA center so they should be out of the running for one. the cowboys dont have a center and a LT tackle just like the steelers . tampa bay could use an upgrade at center. their starter retired.

Last edited by Master_Of_Puppets on Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyFri Apr 05, 2024 4:31 pm

Clemson CB Nate Wiggins
Penn State CB Daequan Hardy
Kentucky CB Andru Phillips
Pitt CB M.J. Devonshire

Rice WR Luke McCaffrey
USC WR Tahj Washington
South Carolina WR Xavier Legette
Western Kentucky WR Malachi Corley
Florida WR Ricky Pearsall

Oregon G/T Steven Jones
Pitt OT Matt Goncalves
Georgia OT Amarius Mims
Oregon State OT Taliese Fuaga
Georgia State OT Travis Glover

LSU DL Maason Smith
Mizzou DL Darius Robinson
Northern Iowa DT Khristian Boyd
Florida State DL Braden Fiske

Washington RB Dillon Johnson

Washington QB Michael Penix Jr.

Reported: West Virgina C Zach Frazier
Originally reported by Bleacher Report and The Draft Network’s Ryan Fowler, the Twitter/X post announcing Frazier’s meeting with the Steelers was eventually deleted.

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyFri Apr 05, 2024 8:27 pm

I don't want Pennix. Nothing against him - but that's a first round pick, 2nd round if he drops - and we desperately NEED a Center, a tackle, a receiver. The centres have been moving up - Top 3 could all potentially go in round 1 (If would bet one of them drop to the 2nd though, but they could all be gone before we pick in the 2nd).

I'd love to seee them draft Luke McCaffrey (Christian's brother) and he can be had probably in round 3 or even round 4. Great lineage. It does matter sometimes.

If we go CB in round 1 or QB I will vomit.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 6:41 am

Don't forget that we also need some CB's. We've lost Peterson, Wallace, Sullivan and Pierre. Those might not be good, but besides JPJ those were all our starters last season and we only added Donte Jackson. Currently we only have 5 CB's on our roster with Barcoo, Rush and Trice being the others. Who knows if Trice is even ready to suit up in training camp and Barcoo and Rush are more practice squad material than potential starters.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 11:20 am

Stella Nation wrote:
Don't forget that we also need some CB's. We've lost Peterson, Wallace, Sullivan and Pierre. Those might not be good, but besides JPJ those were all our starters last season and we only added Donte Jackson. Currently we only have 5 CB's on our roster with Barcoo, Rush and Trice being the others. Who knows if Trice is even ready to suit up in training camp and Barcoo and Rush are more practice squad material than potential starters.
Agree but we've got to get tougher in the trenches. That should be priority #1.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 1:42 pm

Great Randino wrote:
I don't want Pennix.  Nothing against him - but that's a first round pick, 2nd round if he drops - and we desperately NEED a Center, a tackle, a receiver.  The centres have been moving up - Top 3 could all potentially go in round 1 (If would bet one of them drop to the 2nd though, but they could all be gone before we pick in the 2nd).

I'd love to seee them draft Luke McCaffrey (Christian's brother) and he can be had probably in round 3 or even round 4.  Great lineage.  It does matter sometimes.

If we go CB in round 1 or QB I will vomit.

Pennix in RD 3 or 4 would be a solid pick. He could sit and learn and be ready for next year.

WRs is a deep class this year there is value in rd 3 and 4 to be had.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 1:44 pm

Stella Nation wrote:

Trice should be ready to go by camp he tore his ACL in camp last year. All signs that I have heard is he is rehabbing and ready to go. With Jackson as the # 2 and Trice backing up the CB position isn't a huge priority as it may seem.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 6:01 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:

Trice should be ready to go by camp he tore his ACL in camp last year. All signs that I have heard is he is rehabbing and ready to go. With Jackson as the # 2 and Trice backing up the CB position isn't a huge priority as it may seem.

on the "needs" scale. i think it is running close 3rd with RT , but i give the edge to RT. 3 & 4 WR sets are too common to feel good about only having 2 proven CB's.

Stella Nation likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:54 am

I'll be surprised if our #1 pick is not one of these 3.
OT
C
CB
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 1:25 am

solardave wrote:
OT
C
CB

i wouldn't. i think WR is very much in play, although i think the 2nd or 3rd is more likely given the receivers they have brought in for visits, plus the only WR i see the draftniks putting near the 20th pick is brian thomas. but if a 6'3" ,209lb wr that runs a 4.33 is there at 20 the temptation may be too great. Shocked

the 2 names i see being placed at 20 that makes me nervous  is mims and barton. mims has 8 games under his belt and barton has 5 games at center 3 years ago. as a tackle barton might be a 4th rd pick. picking him at 20 would be a huge gamble. even if he does turn out to be a serviceable center, will it be by the start of the season ? how can you call a guy 1st round pick worthy for a position you really cant evaluate him at ?
the steelers did have a formal visit with barton at the combine. Wilson working 190127080

solardave, Stella Nation and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 9:57 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
solardave wrote:
OT
C
CB

i wouldn't. i think WR is very much in play, although i think the 2nd or 3rd is more likely given the receivers they have brought in for visits, plus the only WR i see the draftniks putting near the 20th pick is brian thomas. but if a 6'3" ,209lb wr that runs a 4.33 is there at 20 the temptation may be too great. Shocked

the 2 names i see being placed at 20 that makes me nervous  is mims and barton. mims has 8 games under his belt and barton has 5 games at center 3 years ago. as a tackle barton might be a 4th rd pick. picking him at 20 would be a huge gamble. even if he does turn out to be a serviceable center, will it be by the start of the season ? how can you call a guy  1st round pick worthy for a position you really cant evaluate him at ?
the steelers did have a formal visit with barton at the combine. Wilson working 190127080

I don't want Mims or Barton at 20. I might consider one of them in rd#2 but Mims is injury prone already and Barton is going to be expected to take up Center with little experience... that's asking a lot from the young man. He is supposedly a really gifted athlete though and a lot of pundits expect him to do well at Center.

I honestly think JPJ will fall to round 2 I would like them to get a OT (not Mims) in round 1 and Center in 2. JPJ or Frazier will be there in 2.

Some great WRs and slot CBs will be available in rd 3 and 4 for the team to bring in and work with. That will set us up better for the following year draft wise if they don't pan out.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 6:41 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
solardave wrote:
OT
C
CB

the 2 names i see being placed at 20 that makes me nervous  is mims and barton. mims has 8 games under his belt and barton has 5 games at center 3 years ago. as a tackle barton might be a 4th rd pick. picking him at 20 would be a huge gamble. even if he does turn out to be a serviceable center, will it be by the start of the season ? how can you call a guy  1st round pick worthy for a position you really cant evaluate him at ?

I don't want Mims or Barton at 20. I might consider one of them in rd#2 but Mims is injury prone already and Barton is going to be expected to take up Center with little experience... that's asking a lot from the young man. He is supposedly a really gifted athlete though and a lot of pundits expect him to do well at Center.

I honestly think JPJ will fall to round 2 I would like them to get a OT (not Mims) in round 1 and Center in 2. JPJ or Frazier will be there in 2.

Some great WRs and slot CBs will be available in rd 3 and 4 for the team to bring in and work with. That will set us up better for the following year draft wise if they don't pan out.

JPJ may fall in to round 2. but that dont mean he will be there at 51.  there are a few other teams in the same boat as the steelers who dont have a center on their roster and likely a few more who wouldnt mind an upgrade. i just hope the steelers have the same kelvin green PTSD that i have and dont dick around like they did back then. JPJ is the ONLY center i have seen universally considered a plug and play guy. frazier and the rest are developmental.  and barton ? they are "projecting" him at center. you cant spell projecting without PROJECT. kelvin green was a project. they got complacent on the position and had no choice but to start a project. of course we know how it turned out.
as for tackle i would expect a repeat of last year. i dont think anyone they might get in the 1st will start immediately. dan moore will be allowed to suck ass for 5 or 6 games just like chuks. the funny thing is, PFF actually had a higher grade on chuks then moore when they made the change. they made that decision because chuks spoke out about canadas shitty offense not because he was the worse tackle.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 8:41 pm

there goes his draft stock....dumbass Wilson working 1401235891

NFL Draft Prospect T'Vondre Sweat Involved In Rollover Car Crash ... Before DWI Arrest
https://www.tmz.com/2024/04/09/nfl-draft-prospect-tvondre-sweat-involved-in-rollover-crash-before-dwi-arrest/

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 9:07 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
solardave wrote:
OT
C
CB

JPJ may fall in to round 2. but that dont mean he will be there at 51.  there are a few other teams in the same boat as the steelers who dont have a center on their roster and likely a few more who wouldnt mind an upgrade. i just hope the steelers have the same kelvin green PTSD that i have and dont dick around like they did back then. JPJ is the ONLY center i have seen universally considered a plug and play guy. frazier and the rest are developmental.  and barton ? they are "projecting" him at center. you cant spell projecting without PROJECT. kelvin green was a project. they got complacent on the position and had no choice but to start a project. of course we know  how it turned out.
as for tackle i would expect a repeat of last year. i dont think anyone they might get in the 1st will start immediately. dan moore will be allowed to suck ass for 5 or 6 games just like chuks. the funny thing is, PFF actually had a higher grade on chuks then moore when they made the change. they made that decision because chuks spoke out about canadas shitty offense not because he was the worse tackle.
I agree that JPJ won't be there at 51. I actually don't think he will get out of the first round. He's the best center in the draft, I'd grab him in round 1 if I could. Tackle round 2 IF the value is there.

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 11:32 pm

4 teams that "could" use a Center before the Steelers analysis.

I think 1 of the top 3 will be there at 52

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/these-four-teams-could-steal-away-steelers-top-center-choices/

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 7:44 am

What I don't understand is that everyone knows the Steelers need a starting center. Tomlin even hinted that center is very much in play as an early round pick (Round 1 or 2) because the class isn't deep, yet somehow they refuse to do their homework and bring them in for a visit or have extensive talks with them on their pro day Wilson working 2087824411 Neither Tomlin, Khan or Weidl had a conversation with JPJ or Barton. And it's even unknown if they had talks with Frazier who is a local prospect.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:03 am

Forget what I just said Wilson working 1797695198
I've just read they brought in JPJ for a visit yesterday Wilson working 1647293567 Wilson working 1372836603

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 12:34 pm

Stella Nation wrote:
Forget what I just said Wilson working 1797695198
I've just read they brought in JPJ for a visit yesterday Wilson working 1647293567 Wilson working 1372836603
Consider it forgotten. Wilson working 1797695198

JPJ gotta be the first round pick. IMHO.

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 6:07 pm

Stella Nation wrote:
What I don't understand is that everyone knows the Steelers need a starting center. Tomlin even hinted that center is very much in play as an early round pick (Round 1 or 2) because the class isn't deep, yet somehow they refuse to do their homework and bring them in for a visit or have extensive talks with them on their pro day  Wilson working 2087824411  Neither Tomlin, Khan or Weidl had a conversation with JPJ or Barton. And it's even unknown if they had talks with Frazier who is a local prospect.

i read a senior bowl report that noted tomlin spent a considerable amount of time around frazier. im sure he is well aware of what frazier offers.

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:17 pm

Interesting stats about Centers since 2016.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/study-exploring-seven-years-of-center-history-in-nfl-draft/

Master_Of_Puppets, solardave, Stella Nation and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 12:52 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Interesting stats about Centers since 2016.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/study-exploring-seven-years-of-center-history-in-nfl-draft/

Here's some more info, Top 5 Steeler Centers ever:

https://michaelthompson-58132.medium.com/top-5-pittsburgh-steeler-centers-ever-add190622835

Obviously someone's opinion and those can vary, but here's what's really interesting about it:

5. Jeff Hartings - originally drafted by the Lions where he played guard - then he came to Pittsburgh and transitioned to Center
4. Ray Mansfield - drafted as a Defensive Tackle! (Philly). transitioned to Center.
3. Markice Pouncey - well we all know about Markice. What a great center!
2. Mike Webster - the great Mike Webster
1. Dermonti Dawson.

2 out of the 5 started their career at a different position.

We get irked about trying to move someone into the Center position - but the Steelers have some history of success doing so.

Anyway, I thought that was pretty interesting stuff and I thought I'd share it with all of you.

Myself, I'm still hoping we do what is needed to draft Jackson Powers-Johnson - a Pittsburgh-type of guy.

solardave, Stella Nation and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 6:02 am

Great Randino wrote:

We get irked about trying to move someone into the Center position - but the Steelers have some history of success doing so.

i'm not "irked" , by them trying a guy out at a different position, i was irked that they gambled that a mediocre collegiate guard was their answer at a position of need with no backup plan in place. pouncey's decline didnt happen over one off season. his play along with decastro's was noticeably declining the last 2 or 3 years before they retired. they had plenty of time to address the future of those positions. the sad part is they did have decastro's successor in dotson. complete and utter coaching FAILS.

Stella Nation, SteelerFreak58 and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wilson working Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working Empty

Back to top Go down

Wilson working
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next