Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWilson working - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Wilson working

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Great Randino

Wilson working - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 12:08 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:

We get irked about trying to move someone into the Center position - but the Steelers have some history of success doing so.

i'm not "irked" , by them trying a guy out at a different position, i was irked that they gambled that a mediocre collegiate guard was their answer at a position of need with no backup plan in place. pouncey's decline didnt happen over one off season. his play along with decastro's was noticeably declining the last 2 or 3 years before they retired. they had plenty of time to address the future of those positions. the sad part is they did have decastro's successor in dotson. complete and utter coaching FAILS.
Well, I include myself in the "irked" category. Regardlesss, you make valid points regarding their decision.

I continue to believe that center is among the most underrated positions in all of football. A great center is a field general and is of utmost importance to the success of the o-line and the entire offense.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 10:02 pm

Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:

We get irked about trying to move someone into the Center position - but the Steelers have some history of success doing so.

i'm not "irked" , by them trying a guy out at a different position, i was irked that they gambled that a mediocre collegiate guard was their answer at a position of need with no backup plan in place. pouncey's decline didnt happen over one off season. his play along with decastro's was noticeably declining the last 2 or 3 years before they retired. they had plenty of time to address the future of those positions. the sad part is they did have decastro's successor in dotson. complete and utter coaching FAILS.
Well, I include myself in the "irked" category.  Regardlesss, you make valid points regarding their decision.

I continue to believe that center is among the most underrated positions in all of football.  A great center is a field general and is of utmost importance to the success of the o-line and the entire offense.

a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link young grasshoppa

Great Randino likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 3:18 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:

Well, I include myself in the "irked" category.  Regardlesss, you make valid points regarding their decision.

I continue to believe that center is among the most underrated positions in all of football.  A great center is a field general and is of utmost importance to the success of the o-line and the entire offense.

This hoppa wants a centa.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 1:49 am

Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:

Wilson working - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:03 am

Great Randino wrote:

Wilson working - Page 2 Patience-young

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 4:22 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:

Wilson working - Page 2 Patience-young
Me no likey patience.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 3:18 am

teams that JPJ has visited
pittsburgh, dallas, tampa, chicago, carolina.

graham barton
dallas chicago

zach frazier
pittsburgh

this is just what has been reported and does not mean they are the only teams these guys have visited. dallas and tampa pick after us and carolina has 2 of the of the top 7 picks in the 2nd rd. the bears unless they trade one of their top 10 picks dont pick again until 75th.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 4:28 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
teams that JPJ has visited
pittsburgh, dallas, tampa, chicago, carolina.

graham barton
dallas chicago

zach frazier
pittsburgh

this is just what has been reported and does not mean they are the only teams these guys have visited. dallas and tampa pick after us and carolina has 2 of the of the top 7 picks in the 2nd rd. the bears unless they trade one of their top 10 picks dont pick again until 75th.

I honestly think we get 1 of the top 3 Centers at 51. The more I read on Barton the more I don't mind grabbing him if he is there. He is a freakishly good athlete all the way around. Not like Green coming out of college and people had Green as a round 4 or 5 Guard. All of the pundits have Barton a round 1 or 2 pick and rave about his abilities.

JPJ or Frazier would be a great pick at 51 as well. I am good with any of those three there and I am pretty sure one of those will be there.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 10:24 pm

i wont be pissed if they take barton but i will remain skeptical. i dont understand how they can say a TACKLE is the best CENTER in the draft. Wilson working - Page 2 2087824411 i mean the only reason he is being labelled a center is because he has T-rex arms and played at center for a few games years ago. so is every NCAA tackle with short arms superior at center to a guy who actually played center because they are more athletic ? Wilson working - Page 2 2829330259
if thats the case, why do teams ever draft centers ? why not just draft tackles in the 3rd or 4th round and put them at center? why not try dan moore at center ?

solardave and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 12:08 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i wont be pissed if they take barton but i will remain skeptical. i dont understand how they can say a TACKLE is the best CENTER in the draft. Wilson working - Page 2 2087824411 i mean the only reason he is being labelled a center is because he has T-rex arms and played at center for a few games years ago. so is every NCAA tackle with short arms superior at center to a guy who actually played center because they are more athletic ? Wilson working - Page 2 2829330259
if thats the case, why do teams ever draft centers ? why not just draft tackles in the 3rd or 4th round and put them at center? why not try dan moore at center ?
This is why I want JPJ. TRUE Center. Best in the draft. Frazier 2nd.

I'm not convinced any of the three will be still on the board at 51. I'd prefer grabbing JPJ in the first round.

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 12:16 am

Little something on the Centers...

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/pittsburgh-steelers-competition-draft-center-jackson-powers-johnson
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

For what it's worth:

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/pauline-nfl-believes-steelers-will-draft-duke-ol-graham-barton-in-first-round/

Pauline has a pretty good record when it comes to draft rumors. He isn't perfect of course and a lot can happen.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:03 pm

Stella Nation wrote:
For what it's worth:

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/pauline-nfl-believes-steelers-will-draft-duke-ol-graham-barton-in-first-round/

Pauline has a pretty good record when it comes to draft rumors. He isn't perfect of course and a lot can happen.
It really could be any of those top three. So yeah, Barton is definitely a possibility.

Right now, as we quickly approach the ACTUAL draft, there is a lot of "static" being flown around out there. Teams showing interest in players they don't plan to draft, and seemingly ignoring players high on their board - all to throw other teams off. So, we take it all with a grain of salt. Next Thursday can't come soon enough.

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:44 pm

barton fills tomlins obsession for a "multi roll" player so we shouldnt be surprised if that is the direction they go. but is a player really multi roll if they have to switch positions because they dont have what it takes to good in the NFL at their main collegiate position ? i mean would anyone ever want to see barton play at tackle after he has already been labelled inadequate for the position ? a question that needs to be answered is, does barton have the strength to handle 300+ lb defensive tackles consistently ?
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 10:15 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
barton fills tomlins obsession for a "multi roll" player so we shouldnt be surprised if that is the direction they go. but is a player really multi roll if they have to switch positions because they dont have what it takes to good in the NFL at their main collegiate position ? i mean would anyone ever want to see barton play at tackle after he has already been labelled inadequate for the position ? a question that needs to be answered is, does barton have the strength to handle 300+ lb defensive tackles consistently ?  
Good point. And, if he's not good enough to be a tackle, we're going to make him our franchise center? A guy that played 8 total games at center? No thanks for me, I'd rather Jackson Powers-Johnson, a true center, and the best one in the draft.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 2:58 am

I'm hoping for JPJ myself. He is arguably the best Center in this class. At least he wouldn't be an experiment player.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:49 am

Stella Nation wrote:
For what it's worth:

I just found an interesting stat about Tony Pauline on Walterfootball. Since 2013 he has been right on draft rumors 51 out of 95 times, so 53,68%.
https://walterfootball.com/draft2023rumorsresults.php

Personally, I have a feeling the Steelers won't draft a center at 20, but will go CB or RT or trade down and then grab a center later in the first round. I just don't think the value is there at 20 to draft a center. What I've read is that none of the teams see JPJ, Barton or Frazier as a top 25 prospect in this class.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 9:43 am

I saw that too, Stella.  Sometimes one can overthink these things, though.  We need a franchise center.  JPJ would be a good one.  If he's available at 20, take him.  So what if he's valued at 25 or 28?

Oh and by the way, Draftek has him ranked 21 overall.

All these sites and analysts, and they all have a different opinion on value.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:17 pm

Stella Nation wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
For what it's worth:

I just found an interesting stat about Tony Pauline on Walterfootball. Since 2013 he has been right on draft rumors 51 out of 95 times, so 53,68%.

Personally, I have a feeling the Steelers won't draft a center at 20, but will go CB or RT or trade down and then grab a center later in the first round. I just don't think the value is there at 20 to draft a center. What I've read is that none of the teams see JPJ, Barton or Frazier as a top 25 prospect in this class.
value is subjective. the value is whatever someone is willing to pay. the ravens valued linderbaum at pick 25. they got a starting pro bowl center. the chiefs valued creed humphrey at pick 63. they got a starting probowl center. who got more value the ravens with linderbaum or the steelers and pickett ?
was najee a better value as a 24th pick or would have creed been the better value at that same pick ? i'm on record on this very forum saying i would take creed in the first despite the "experts" having a lower value on him. if you think a guy can come in and contribute  year 1 and be a solid starter for a decade, he is 1st round worthy.

solardave and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
For what it's worth:

value is subjective. the value is whatever someone is willing to pay. the ravens valued linderbaum at pick 25. they got a starting pro bowl center. the chiefs valued creed humphrey at pick 63. they got a starting probowl center. who got more value the ravens with linderbaum or the steelers and pickett ?
was najee a better value as a 24th pick or would have creed been the better value at that same pick ? i'm on record on this very forum saying i would take creed in the first despite the "experts" having a lower value on him. if you think a guy can come in and contribute  year 1 and be a solid starter for a decade, he is 1st round worthy.
YES. You said it at the time. You were right (Creed). I was wrong (pains me to admit that! Wilson working - Page 2 2087824411 )

I loved the Najee pick, still love that he's a Steeler, but getting the center back then would have been the better play.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 pm

Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
For what it's worth:

YES.  You said it at the time.  You were right (Creed).  I was wrong (pains me to admit that!   Wilson working - Page 2 2087824411 )

I loved the Najee pick, still love that he's a Steeler, but getting the center back then would have been the better play.

Could have had Najee in the first and still have taken Humphrey in the 2nd... we picked Friermuth before KC took Humphrey....

We sure have used TEs a lot since then... lol I said it back then Muth was a wasted luxury pick and it was going to come back and bite the team on the ass...

Stella Nation likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 6:16 pm

Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
For what it's worth:

YES.  You said it at the time.  You were right (Creed).  I was wrong (pains me to admit that!   Wilson working - Page 2 2087824411 )

but how long will najee be a steeler ? i think there is a good chance they pick up his 5th year, but after that No teams that hand a RB a 2nd contract with a raise almost always end up regretting it. the cowboys are still eating dead money after foolishly giving zeke elliot a 6 year, 90 million deal.
tomlin intends to run the wheels off of najee. personally i think warren should be getting the bigger share of the carries, but i cant help but think they are intentionally trying to keep the mileage down on him for future use. limiting his exposure also keeps him off other vulture GM's radar, and keeps his stats suppressed for when it is time for contract negotiations.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 6:38 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
For what it's worth:

Could have had Najee in the first and still have taken Humphrey in the 2nd... we picked Friermuth before KC took Humphrey....

We sure have used TEs a lot since then... lol I said it back then Muth was a wasted luxury pick and it was going to come back and bite the team on the ass...
i dont think i would say he was a "luxury pick" , i mean a good TE was a need, just not as big of a need as a C. while i dont think a 1st should EVER be used on a RB, the pick was even more foolish when you consider the sorry state the Oline was in when they made the pick. if there was ever a year to trade out of the 1st, that was the year. humprey and landon dickerson (pick 37) are 2 of the best Olinemen that came out of that draft. the iggles use dickerson at guard, ironically he replaced Seumalo , but im sure he would have been just as good at center.

solardave, Stella Nation and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 6:52 am

The Oline has been neglected for a while now and the biggest issue passed over is center. My first choice would be JPJ.

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 7:13 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
For what it's worth:

but how long will najee be a steeler ? i think there is a good chance they pick up his 5th year, but after that No teams that hand a RB a 2nd contract with a raise almost always end up regretting it. the cowboys are still eating dead money after foolishly giving zeke elliot a 6 year, 90 million deal.
tomlin intends to run the wheels off of najee. personally i think warren should be getting the bigger share of the carries, but i cant help but think they are intentionally trying to keep the mileage down on him for future use. limiting his exposure also keeps him off other vulture GM's radar, and keeps his stats suppressed for when it is time for contract negotiations.
Through the 5th year option and that's likely it.  Unless he signs an extremely team friendly 2nd contract, he's not getting paid in Pittsburgh.  Hate to say it because I really like Najee - but it's just good business.  We've got Jaylen and then we can draft the next RB in round 3 and be fine.

It sucks to be a RB these days.  They carry the rock for the team, beat up their bodies and then struggle to get paid.  But it is the business.

solardave and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wilson working   Wilson working - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wilson working
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next