Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeClark upset over fine Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Clark upset over fine

Go down 
+4
stlrtruck
SteelCityMom
JonM229
Buddha Bus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Clark upset over fine Empty
PostSubject: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Clark upset over fine
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
Posted 48 minutes ago

Safety Ryan Clark was fined $40,000 by the NFL for his hit on Ravens tight end Ed Dickson in Sunday night’s loss to Baltimore.

Clark was angry about the fine when speaking about it during open locker room on Wednesday.

“I guess I have somewhat of a reputation, but that has nothing to do with the play, with what happens,” said Clark. “I am all for player safety, so much so that I don’t want to hit people with my head. We have talked about this time and again and I try to get my head out of the way constantly. There are reasons I can’t lift my arms up on Mondays, because I am using my shoulders. To be fined when I did everything in my power not to hit him with my helmet, everything.

“You have to make a decision, do you put people to sleep because you are going to get fined any way, or do you blow their ACL. One of the two.”

Clark was informed of the fine by Coach Mike Tomlin, who issued the following statement regarding the fine.

“I think the fine that Ryan Clark received was excessive,” Tomlin’s statement read. “I am a proponent of player safety and the league’s pursuit of improvement in this area. I, like the vast majority of people in this industry, witness daily the steep price that these young men pay to play this game on so many levels. Ryan has my full support if he chooses to appeal this in any way.”

(Read More:) http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Clark-upset-over-fine/681eff27-16e2-44f5-9009-fe51321b7342

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Sure is a steep fine for someone's helmet grazing another's facemask.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 4:39 pm

I agree, Jon. It's a bit out of control now. I do think Clark's priors played into the severity of the fine though, but it's still ticky-tack IMHO. Intent should be factored into the equation and Clark had no intent to hit helmet-to-helmet. He lead with his shoulder and there was incidental contact of the helmets.

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 5:24 pm

That's why I like that hockey has an actual former player as head disciplinarian as opposed to some guy in a suit who's never played a down of football in his life. Shanahan even goes out his way for each fine and suspension to make a video that takes you step by step through his decision process, and explains what could have been done to avoid the fine/suspension.

There are so many steps that Goodell could take to make the game safer, yet still hard hitting...but he's just hell bent on making it an offense only league, and uses the guise of player safety for that. Year after year he ruins it a little bit more. SMH. Clark upset over fine 929792854

Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 5:57 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:
That's why I like that hockey has an actual former player as head disciplinarian as opposed to some guy in a suit who's never played a down of football in his life. Shanahan even goes out his way for each fine and suspension to make a video that takes you step by step through his decision process, and explains what could have been done to avoid the fine/suspension.

There are so many steps that Goodell could take to make the game safer, yet still hard hitting...but he's just hell bent on making it an offense only league, and uses the guise of player safety for that. Year after year he ruins it a little bit more. SMH. Clark upset over fine 929792854

I'm close to being done with football altogether if this shit doesn't stop. Goodell is ruining the league and beginning to change it into a sport I no longer wish to watch. I understand the need for player safety, but he doesn't take into account the INTENTION or ability to avoid a dangerous collision. If a player has already set in motion a hit to try to dislodge the ball with his shoulder and the offensive player lowers his head into the "strike zone" at the last second and their helmets make incidental contact, how is that the defender's fault? I can see a flag maybe, but these weekly fines are ridiculous and are preventing NOTHING!

A more reasonable and sensible approach to these fines needs to be taken (two things Goodell doesn't have... reason or sense). His heavy-handed approach to "player safety" is not accomplishing anything but lining the league's pockets and pussifying the NFL. He also seems to be on a one-man crusade against the Steelers for daring to question his Almighty power and continuing to play the game as they have been taught to since childhood. He is clearly disproportionately fining Steeler players and singling them out which further reduces his credibility as a fair and balanced overseer of the game.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 11:55 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
SteelCityMom wrote:

I'm close to being done with football altogether if this shit doesn't stop. Goodell is ruining the league and beginning to change it into a sport I no longer wish to watch. I understand the need for player safety, but he doesn't take into account the INTENTION or ability to avoid a dangerous collision. If a player has already set in motion a hit to try to dislodge the ball with his shoulder and the offensive player lowers his head into the "strike zone" at the last second and their helmets make incidental contact, how is that the defender's fault? I can see a flag maybe, but these weekly fines are ridiculous and are preventing NOTHING!

A more reasonable and sensible approach to these fines needs to be taken (two things Goodell doesn't have... reason or sense). His heavy-handed approach to "player safety" is not accomplishing anything but lining the league's pockets and pussifying the NFL. He also seems to be on a one-man crusade against the Steelers for daring to question his Almighty power and continuing to play the game as they have been taught to since childhood. He is clearly disproportionately fining Steeler players and singling them out which further reduces his credibility as a fair and balanced overseer of the game.

I felt the same way last year. But no one is willing to stand up to Goodell. The owners don't see it. Some players do, but others just go right along. This isn't football. If I have to worry whether or not my player is going to get fined for good hits, then it takes the fun out of the game.

The problem with his heavy hand is that he doesn't spread it around the league. Some players can get away with murder while others can't even touch another player!

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Clark upset over fine 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 12:07 am

I love this quote from Tomlin:

Quote :
“I think the fine that Ryan Clark received was excessive,” Tomlin’s statement read. “I am a proponent of player safety and the league’s pursuit of improvement in this area. I, like the vast majority of people in this industry, witness daily the steep price that these young men pay to play this game on so many levels. Ryan has my full support if he chooses to appeal this in any way.”

That's a very un-Tomlin like statement. For anyone who doesn't speak Tomlinese, allow me to translate what he said: "Hey, Goodell ... FUCK YOU!!!!!"

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 6:03 am

I agree with all of you. I agree with fines for malicious hits and stupid behavior but not half the ticky tack crap that is happening. Between the allegations in the NCAA world and the crap in the NFL... football is being tarnished.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 8:38 am

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

PITTSBURGH -- If there's any justice in Roger Goodell's kangaroo court, Ryan Clark will get his $40,000 fine reduced.

Clark, the Steelers' hard-hitting free safety, will appeal the hefty penalty he received for a hit he put on Baltimore tight end Ed Dickson this past Sunday. Already a critic of the way Goodell does his job as NFL commissioner, Clark doesn't think he'll win his appeal. But his coach and teammates believe that the fine will be slashed.

In a rare show of public support, Mike Tomlin was so incensed about Clark's fine that he issued a statement Wednesday.

In part, Tomlin's statement said, "the fine that Ryan Clark received was excessive. Ryan has my full support if he chooses to appeal this in any way."

On Monday when the Steelers reviewed videotape of their 23-20 loss to Baltimore, Tomlin replayed Clark's hit over and over in slow-motion. Collectively, the Steelers were furious as they watched.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-furious-over-clark-s-fine/article_3ad79d9c-0b9d-11e1-935c-0019bb30f31a.html
---------------------------------------------------

Tomlin doesn't complain or make excuses like a handful of other coaches we know. So when he's furious about something, that tells me it's a legitimate complaint.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:08 am

jack lambert and jack tatum would have been run out of the league if they played in this era

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 5:39 pm

vasteeler wrote:
jack lambert and jack tatum would have been run out of the league if they played in this era

And Goodell would have been rendered a quadriplegic in Lambert and Tatum's era by now. Clark upset over fine 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 8:22 pm

vasteeler wrote:

Funny you should say that, va. I thought about this the other day ... one of my favorite videos is the Renegade Steel Curtain Tribute video. About half the hits in that video would draw flags and fines today. Clark upset over fine 2306309830

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 6:32 pm

I don't see anything illegal with that hit. His helmet barely grazed dickson's face mask. He led with the shoulder right where the football was at to jar it loose, that was a textbook defensive play. Bullshit that it got fined.

I think some of these idiot refs are like limp-dicked 70 year olds that already have failing vision. All they see is a hard hit and the ball going flying, oh that just HAS to be a penalty right?
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
I don't see anything illegal with that hit. His helmet barely grazed dickson's face mask. He led with the shoulder right where the football was at to jar it loose, that was a textbook defensive play. Bullshit that it got fined.

I think some of these idiot refs are like limp-dicked 70 year olds that already have failing vision. All they see is a hard hit and the ball going flying, oh that just HAS to be a penalty right?

I couldn't agree more. You just earned your first Rep point right there.

And welcome to the board, FA. Clark upset over fine 230572241

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:03 pm

thanks man, glad to be here Clark upset over fine 2981382511
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Fire Arians wrote:

Not as glad as I am that the Ravens swept the Steelers

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:42 pm

JonM229 wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

Not as glad as I am that the Ravens swept the Steelers
Jon, it's not a sweep until they win that all-important third game. You know ... the one that seems to always end the Ravens' season. Clark upset over fine 1797695198

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:52 pm

I have high hopes that the Ravens will get a first round bye and the Steelers will lose in either the wild card or divisional round.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:07 am

JonM229 wrote:
I have high hopes that the Ravens will get a first round bye and the Steelers will lose in either the wild card or divisional round.

That would certainly qualify as a high hope. Clark upset over fine 1557163439 Clark upset over fine 2981382511

And "welcome aboard" to Fire Arians. Glad you finally made it. Sorry you'll probably live to regret it. Clark upset over fine 1797695198 Clark upset over fine 230572241

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clark upset over fine   Clark upset over fine Empty

Back to top Go down

Clark upset over fine
Page 1 of 1