Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home*The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

*The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*

Go down 
+3
solardave
Buddha Bus
Bays
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bays

Bays

*The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* Empty
PostSubject: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 8:54 pm

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — The Steelers have a lot of decisions to make over the next month and one of them is whether or not to pay Hines Ward a roster bonus due in early March.

Ward is not against taking a pay cut, but, with the departure of Bruce Arians and a possible re-emphasis on the run game, Ward becomes more important in the blocking game.

Ward told reporters today at the Super Bowl, “I plan on playing with the Pittsburgh Steelers and going from there.”

Talks will begin between the Steelers and Ward in the next two weeks.

Article: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/02/02/hines-ward-plans-to-play-for-the-steelers-next-season/

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 pm

I say bring him back for one more year.... no more. I'd like to see us find a way to win another Super Bowl next year and let Ward ride off into the sunset like Bettis and retire a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 2:12 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
I say bring him back for one more year.... no more. I'd like to see us find a way to win another Super Bowl next year and let Ward ride off into the sunset like Bettis and retire a Pittsburgh Steeler.

I agree. We owe him one more title. *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 1647293567
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 5:10 am

I hoping for two more.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 7:54 am

bayz101 wrote:
I hoping for two more.

I'm hoping for 30 more, but Ward's time is up next year. He needs to accept that. I don't want him to be another Jerry Rice clinging on to his football career 3 years too long and diminishing what he did. Ward has been one of my top 3, and maybe favorite, Steelers of all-time. I'd like to see him bow out gracefully and as a winner.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: The waiting game: Hines Ward puts ball in Steelers' court   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 7:58 am

The waiting game: Hines Ward puts ball in Steelers' court
Friday, February 03, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- Hines Ward talked to Mike Tomlin on Monday at the Steelers facility on the South Side and to team president Art Rooney II earlier, letting them know he wants to play in 2012 in Pittsburgh.

"I just wanted to let them know I want to be here, I want to play," said Ward, who on Sunday will be part of NBC's five-hour Super Bowl pregame show. "I have two years on my contact. I know I have to restructure, but, under the circumstances, I think I can still play football."

The '11 season was difficult for the veteran receiver. He was benched as a starter and buried deep on the depth chart for the Nov. 13 game against Cincinnati, then reinstalled as the starter in the next game against Kansas City. Ultimately, a concerted and successful effort was made to provide him with the opportunity to make his 1,000th career reception in the regular-season finale in Cleveland.

Ward maintained throughout the season that he wanted to play in '12. The unknown is whether the Steelers want him. He said he received no specific indication from Rooney and Tomlin about their intentions but got somewhat of a feeling they want him back.

"We have so many issues, we're $30 million over the cap," Ward said. "We have to figure a way to get that down. My cap number is not huge if I restructure [$4 million in salary]. There's like 10 other guys they have to get.

"They really didn't say [definitively]. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. We were just talking."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12034/1207805-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1lK5xrrh5

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 8:12 am

I'm going to change the title of this thread and make it the official thread for all Hines Ward stories. There's going to be a lot of stories coming out until the Steelers decide to either re-sign or release him. We don't need 3,000 separate threads on the same topic, so let's try to keep all Hines news in here. *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 230572241

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 5:14 pm

l say cut him and see what the rest of the NFL thinks of Ward and match the best offer Ward gets from another team. If the Steelers want him back at that price.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 5:19 pm

effyou515 wrote:

l say cut him and see what the rest of the NFL thinks of Ward and match the best offer Ward gets from another team. If the Steelers want him back at that price.

I don't think they need to. It sounds as though he might be willing to cut severely just to stay with the Steelers. I don't see him elsewhere.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 5:26 pm

I don't think he's concerned with money, at this point he's just looking for that third ring.

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 5:57 pm

bayz101 wrote:
I don't think he's concerned with money, at this point he's just looking for that third ring.
I think you're right and it would really be nice to say goodbye to Hines with another title. *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 1647293567
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:24 pm

If the decision to bring Hines back was based on fan sentiment, there wouldn't be any doubt that he'd be back next season. But there's lots of other factors to consider, namely need and salary cap. I think Cotchery could be the key in whether or not Hines is brought back. If we can't re-sign Cotchery, then we might need Hines for depth. If we can re-sign Cotchery, Hines becomes expendable. It sucks, but it's a business. I'd be really surprised if both Hines and Cotchery are on the team next season.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:00 am

Quote :
I'd be really surprised if both Hines and Cotchery are on the team next season.

Wallace, there you go again -- being a Debbie Downer.

I think that they are going to keep both (I may be wrong, but I hope not). If they keep Ward, (and they better or else this fan is going to retire her terrible towel in protest for exactly one year) I think they may keep Jerricho knowing that he will be the vet needed to replace Hines in 2013. A vet's presence is needed for leadership. Also, Sander's health is still somewhat questionable at this point, isn't it?

Hines may have lost a step, but he can block and run plays up the middle like no one's business. Then again, how do we know? Arians didn't give him a snowball's chance in hell to show what he can do this year.

I just can't imagine Rooney giving Hines the boot. I just can't. My "Steeler Dream" is to see Hines, Jerricho, and Farrior on the team next season. I can then die a happy girl.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:07 am

Gingerchip wrote:
I just can't imagine Rooney giving Hines the boot. I just can't.
Yeah, I know it sucks. But it's a business. Just take a look at some these former Steelers greats ...

*The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* Franco-harris-seahawks_display_image

*The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* Rod-woodson-versus-deion-sanders-article-sm

*The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 72572145_display_image

*The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* Joey-porter-miami-dolphins-1030jpg-72d3189a374083f1_large

*The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 2791820_display_image

OK, just kidding with the last one. *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 1664291743

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:15 am

Wallace108 wrote:

*The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 2791820_display_image

You forgot this one. *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 1072540953

*The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* Brown

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:33 am

BUT,,,,,,,Franco and Woodson wanted more money. And you know that both Franco and the Rooney's both admitted that they made a mistake.

I know that this is a business, but I think that there is still some semblance of loyalty between the Rooney's and their players. Dan let Ike Taylor take a nap on his couch while he worked elsewhere, Dan eats with the players at training camp and even knows the player's girlfriends names. Isn't Dan leaving his ambassadorship to resume his duties with the Steelers? I can't see Dan saying......."yeah thanks Hines, but no thanks" even if Art II was leaning that way.

Also, Hines has been the most celebrated Steeler in recent history. He has only played for the Steelers, and correct me if I am wrong, hasn't he been the longest tenured Steeler in history? God -- listen to me. I sound like I'm pleading with the Rooneys (and make no mistake -- I would if I could).

IF they let Hines go......I will cry for days, weeks, months, and then probably hang myself with my terrible towel. *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 2164293255

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:40 am

Gingerchip wrote:
BUT,,,,,,,Franco and Woodson wanted more money. And you know that both Franco and the Rooney's both admitted that they made a mistake.

I know that this is a business, but I think that there is still some semblance of loyalty between the Rooney's and their players. Dan let Ike Taylor take a nap on his couch while he worked elsewhere, Dan eats with the players at training camp and even knows the player's girlfriends names. Isn't Dan leaving his ambassadorship to resume his duties with the Steelers? I can't see Dan saying......."yeah thanks Hines, but no thanks" even if Art II was leaning that way.

Also, Hines has been the most celebrated Steeler in recent history. He has only played for the Steelers, and correct me if I am wrong, hasn't he been the longest tenured Steeler in history? God -- listen to me. I sound like I'm pleading with the Rooneys (and make no mistake -- I would if I could).

IF they let Hines go......I will cry for days, weeks, months, and then probably hang myself with my terrible towel. *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 2164293255

Don't hang yourself, Ginger. You've got so much to look forward to ... you're only 9 posts away from triple digits. *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 3798349058

I agree that the Rooneys are loyal. But only if it makes business sense. If they end up keeping Hines, it'll be because they determined that he can help the team win and they can afford to keep him. I'm not saying this is the case, but if it came down to signing either Ward or Cotchery ... who do you think they would sign?

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:48 am

Quote :
I'm not saying this is the case, but if it came down to signing either Ward or Cotchery ... who do you think they would sign?

I am going to continue to be the Queen of Denial and say: Both

I really, really like Cotchery. He is truly one of the good guys and IMO, a superb athlete.

I seriously don't want to even think about losing either one at this point. Lose Wallace - is what I say (I know----AGH! (ain't gonna happen). And honestly, I don't have anything against Wallace either.

I just can't think about it right now. I have to focus on my studies and I guess I'll just deal with whatever the Rooney's throw my way since you made a great point --- nearing triple digit posts is certainly something to live for *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 1378315869

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 am

Gingerchip wrote:
nearing triple digit posts is certainly something to live for *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 1378315869

You even get a rank tag. You might wanna prepare the champagne. *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* 1664291743

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*   *The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread* Empty

Back to top Go down

*The Official Hines Ward Waiting Game Thread*
Page 1 of 1