Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBye bye terrible towel and nice forum... Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...

Go down 
+8
effyou515
solardave
vasteeler
Buddha Bus
SteelCityMom
JonM229
stlrtruck
Gingerchip
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... Empty
PostSubject: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:56 pm

I am so f'ing ticked off I don't know what to say.

Thanks to all you guys -- This is a great forum. This Steeler fan since 1975 has just retired her towel.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 pm

I understand your angst right now, but you've got to believe.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 9:49 pm

I'll still be a Ravens fan once Ray Lewis is gone.

Ravens fans > Steelers fans

But seriously, you shouldn't give up on the Steelers. The business side of the NFL can suck sometimes.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 11:49 pm

Quote :
But seriously, you shouldn't give up on the Steelers. The business side of the NFL can suck sometimes.

Thanks Jon (and if Hines joins the Ravens----I promise I'll be sporting purple next season).

However, one of the reasons I've been a fan for so long is beause of the organization itself. I've always held the Rooney's in the highest regard. It didn't matter if our team sucked or we had a group of bad players, I admired the Rooney's enough to stand by the team through thick and thin. The Rooney's always did things "The Steeler Way" "The Gold Standard" (to quote the Raven's owner). The team has always been "a family". Many would argue that other players (their favs) should not have been cut. But we are talking the most decorated WR in Steeler history. Longest tenured, MVP, and LOYAL. The man practically begged to stay with the organization. He wanted one more year. He was willing to take vet minimum.

What really irks me is that report that came out a few weeks ago. The NFL dude who claimed Ward was no longer wanted and he knew from "inside sources". Wallace (our Wallace) pointed out that this story probably had some legs. I believe it did also. I think they knew a long time ago that they didn't want him -- yet they kept him dangling in the air.

You're right -- the business side of the NFL sucks. I was naive enough to think that the Rooney's were a little different than most of the other owners. Well slap me on the face and call me stupid -- Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 3405992308

Either way, I apologize to all the fans on this forum, but I've lost respect for the organization, and I am not sure I can cheer on something that I have no respect for.

Ohhh...one last vent.......that little egomaniac in the making, Mike Wallace, better damn well make sure his little hershey kiss head produces.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I'm not just sad, I'm devastated.
:t-rex:
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 12:23 am

Ginger, I feel ya. I'm not happy about this either, but please try to keep in mind that Ward is not the first Steeler to be let go like this, nor will he be the last.

It really does just come down to business. If the cap weren't so tight this year, I guarantee we'd be seeing Ward back, just like we saw Bettis back in a very limited role in his last year.

It's just how the chips fell for him. From what I can tell, there are no hard feelings from the Steelers or Ward, and so it should be from the fans.

He was a definite presence on this team, even if just in the locker room or sidelines. Everyone (including the FO) knows this. I'm sure if there were any good way around releasing him, it would have been done. They just had to do what is best for the team right now. As much as any of us might hate it, it's what needed to be done.

Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 1:44 am

Like I said......it's HOW they did it......the "leak" a few weeks ago -- I have no doubt that the guy that reported it knew something. I am thoroughly convinced that someone in the top tier of the organization leaked that news. Ward himself was taken aback -- he posted on this FB page.

Of course there are hard feelings. Ward is way to classy of a guy to allow that to come across. He said months ago that he would be devastated. That hasn't changed.

It really doesn't matter at this point anyway. Whether it's crazy, right, wrong, principled, whatever, I'm just saying I've lost respect for the organization. There was another big issue in the past few years where I didn't respect the Rooney's decision. I'm sure Mr. Rooney isn't going to loose sleep over my disgust anyway.

Will I eventually find it in my heart to cheer them proudly on again? I honestly don't know.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 2:12 am

Gingerchip wrote:
Like I said......it's HOW they did it......the "leak" a few weeks ago -- I have no doubt that the guy that reported it knew something. I am thoroughly convinced that someone in the top tier of the organization leaked that news. Ward himself was taken aback -- he posted on this FB page.

Of course there are hard feelings. Ward is way to classy of a guy to allow that to come across. He said months ago that he would be devastated. That hasn't changed.

It really doesn't matter at this point anyway. Whether it's crazy, right, wrong, principled, whatever, I'm just saying I've lost respect for the organization. There was another big issue in the past few years where I didn't respect the Rooney's decision. I'm sure Mr. Rooney isn't going to loose sleep over my disgust anyway.

Will I eventually find it in my heart to cheer them proudly on again? I honestly don't know.

Ward has an agent who would know before any of us or any reporter. I'm 100% positive he knew it was coming.

Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 4:26 am

Gingerchip wrote:
Quote :

Thanks Jon (and if Hines joins the Ravens----I promise I'll be sporting purple next season).

However, one of the reasons I've been a fan for so long is beause of the organization itself. I've always held the Rooney's in the highest regard. It didn't matter if our team sucked or we had a group of bad players, I admired the Rooney's enough to stand by the team through thick and thin. The Rooney's always did things "The Steeler Way" "The Gold Standard" (to quote the Raven's owner). The team has always been "a family". Many would argue that other players (their favs) should not have been cut. But we are talking the most decorated WR in Steeler history. Longest tenured, MVP, and LOYAL. The man practically begged to stay with the organization. He wanted one more year. He was willing to take vet minimum.

What really irks me is that report that came out a few weeks ago. The NFL dude who claimed Ward was no longer wanted and he knew from "inside sources". Wallace (our Wallace) pointed out that this story probably had some legs. I believe it did also. I think they knew a long time ago that they didn't want him -- yet they kept him dangling in the air.

You're right -- the business side of the NFL sucks. I was naive enough to think that the Rooney's were a little different than most of the other owners. Well slap me on the face and call me stupid -- Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 3405992308

Either way, I apologize to all the fans on this forum, but I've lost respect for the organization, and I am not sure I can cheer on something that I have no respect for.

Ohhh...one last vent.......that little egomaniac in the making, Mike Wallace, better damn well make sure his little hershey kiss head produces.

I know this sucks. Ward was my all-time favorite Steelers player, but with all due respect, when did he ever say he would play for vet minimum? I heard him say he would restructure his contract and accept less money, but I never heard vet minimum from anyone other than fans or writers. Restructuring his contract doesn't necessarily mean he was going to sacrifice much money which is what it was going to take for the team to keep him around as a 4th or 5th WR. If he played special teams, it might be different, but he doesn't.

The organization was up against a bad cap situation which is the result of having so many good players and Ward is a victim of their success. For the team to continue being in the championship hunt every year like they are, the Steelers are sometimes forced into making tough decisions like this one to continue that success. Unfortunately, Ward was a part of the most deep unit on the team with 3 young, very productive guys who moved ahead of him on the depth chart, and rightfully so. Factor in Cotchery as well, and Ward's declining numbers last season, and you have what we got yesterday.

As has already been stated, this isn't the first popular Steelers player to be let go (Franco Harris, Kevin Greene, Rod Woodson, Joey Porter, etc.) and it won't be the last. It's the price paid for having a team as successful as the Steelers to root for as a fan. It sucks, but it happens.

At the end of the day, Ward will always be a Steeler in our hearts (and his own heart) and will likely retire as and enter the Hall of Fame as a Steeler, no doubt. Don't give up on the team now, Ginger. Take some time to mourn, wish Ward well, and keep waving that Towel. Ward would want it that way and so do we. Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 3056903510 Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 1948569602 Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 941308610

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Ward, who had two years left on his contract at a $4 million annual salary, was never offered a chance to take a pay cut, a source close to Ward told the Post-Gazette. That would indicate the Steelers' decision was based purely on their assessment of him as a player.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12060/1213554-100.stm#ixzz1ntqSdgNE

[/quote]I heard him say he would restructure his contract and accept less money, but I never heard vet minimum from anyone other than fans or writers[quote]

The point is moot now anyway.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Gingerchip wrote:

Thanks to all you guys -- This is a great forum. This Steeler fan since 1975 has just retired her towel.

Shocked ..... affraid ...... Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 2625562446 ...... Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 124247948 ........ Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 2672159185 ........... Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 1824088959 ......... Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 3798349058

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Gingerchip wrote:

There's $50 in it for you to become a Ravens fan

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 4:45 pm

JonM229 wrote:
I'll still be a Ravens fan once Ray Lewis is gone.

Ravens fans > Steelers fans

If Ray Lewis went away hell I could be a Ravens fan. Well maybe not. Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 1378315869
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Gingerchip wrote:
Quote :

I know this sucks. Ward was my all-time favorite Steelers player, but with all due respect, when did he ever say he would play for vet minimum? I heard him say he would restructure his contract and accept less money, but I never heard vet minimum from anyone other than fans or writers. Restructuring his contract doesn't necessarily mean he was going to sacrifice much money which is what it was going to take for the team to keep him around as a 4th or 5th WR. If he played special teams, it might be different, but he doesn't.

The organization was up against a bad cap situation which is the result of having so many good players and Ward is a victim of their success. For the team to continue being in the championship hunt every year like they are, the Steelers are sometimes forced into making tough decisions like this one to continue that success. Unfortunately, Ward was a part of the most deep unit on the team with 3 young, very productive guys who moved ahead of him on the depth chart, and rightfully so. Factor in Cotchery as well, and Ward's declining numbers last season, and you have what we got yesterday.

As has already been stated, this isn't the first popular Steelers player to be let go (Franco Harris, Kevin Greene, Rod Woodson, Joey Porter, etc.) and it won't be the last. It's the price paid for having a team as successful as the Steelers to root for as a fan. It sucks, but it happens.

At the end of the day, Ward will always be a Steeler in our hearts (and his own heart) and will likely retire as and enter the Hall of Fame as a Steeler, no doubt. Don't give up on the team now, Ginger. Take some time to mourn, wish Ward well, and keep waving that Towel. Ward would want it that way and so do we. Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 3056903510 Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 1948569602 Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 941308610

I couldn't have said it any better. I will add that Tomlin showed class by getting him to 1000 and making his entry into Canton hopefully a little easier. That's respect!!!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 10:33 pm

what the hell more do the Steelers have to do?

they drafted Ward in the 3rd round which means just about every team passed on him 3 times, made him into a great WR, and gave him millions of dollars as he play on the team. Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 190127080

l really like Ward as a Steeler but the Steelers have had 11 hall of famers and bunch of other damn good players l really liked who have played for them.

Love ya Hines but as other people in my life there is a time you have to say good-bye.

Hines if you play for the Ravans then its fuck you Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 312503953 guess l'll be seeing you in a Cardinals uniform next season maybe he lands in Jacksonville or Cleveland. Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 2087824411
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 11:55 pm

effyou515 wrote:
what the hell more do the Steelers have to do?

they drafted Ward in the 3rd round which means just about every team passed on him 3 times, made him into a great WR, and gave him millions of dollars as he play on the team. Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 190127080

l really like Ward as a Steeler but the Steelers have had 11 hall of famers and bunch of other damn good players l really liked who have played for them.

Love ya Hines but as other people in my life there is a time you have to say good-bye.

Hines if you play for the Ravans then its fuck you Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 312503953 guess l'll be seeing you in a Cardinals uniform next season maybe he lands in Jacksonville or Cleveland. Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 2087824411

Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 3964572787

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 12:47 am

Quote :

You're on Jon!

And btw guys, thanks for shooting me for voicing my opinion.

I THOUGHT this was a nice forum.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 2:25 am

Gingerchip wrote:
Quote :

You're on Jon!

And btw guys, thanks for shooting me for voicing my opinion.

I THOUGHT this was a nice forum.

I hope you don't really feel like anyone was personally attacking you. Trust me, we all understand why you are upset. Some just have differing views on the situation (myself included).

You are ALWAYS welcome to voice that opinion though.

Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 2:50 am

The fact of the matter is that this is a discussion board, and some of us will have different opinions on this situation. If someone's opinion bothers you just try to ignore it, or add some insight into it. We try to maintain provide an overall relaxed and friendly feel with this board, and we've done well so far. On a touchy subject like this, it's easy to have heated arguments. We're all hurting a little bit right now. Sorry if you feel alone with your feelings, i'm not happy with it either, I just benefited with knowing it was going to happen sooner or later. From a business stand point, there's just really no way we could keep him. Maybe if the financial situation was better, but we've got a lot of pressure on us just to hang on to Cotchery and Wallace. Sorry again, Ginger. It's just an overall tough off-season so far.

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 3:41 am

Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 615811646

No, I need to apologize for being hypersensitive on this subject. I'm actually surprised at how hard I am taking this. Shit.....I may need to call in a therapist on this one Shocked

Thanks for the kind words. You all really are a good bunch. Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 2276209185
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 3:48 am

Gingerchip wrote:
Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 615811646

No, I need to apologize for being hypersensitive on this subject. I'm actually surprised at how hard I am taking this. Shit.....I may need to call in a therapist on this one Shocked

Thanks for the kind words. You all really are a good bunch. Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... 2276209185

Your not the only one. It'll happen again at some point. You'll get attached to a player and then one day he'll be gone. Regardless of how it goes down, you'll always feel as if they could play another year. If we think it's hard on us, just imagine Hines. It's just the way of the business. We'll be back in Super Bowl contention before you know it.

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 4:50 pm

effyou515 wrote:

This may make you a little upset then:

Ward in Bmore

Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

This may make you a little upset then:

Ward in Bmore

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 7:58 am

I agree with Mom, Ward and his agent knew this was coming. It had nothing to do with money and more to do with space on the roster. Hines Ward has been the toughest receiver in the NFL for the past 50 years ... maybe THE toughest of all. The reality is 14 years of that tough play has taken it's toll. It seemed 2011 was the year he had a big drop off in his production. He just didn't seem to break the tackles or make that one move to keep plays alive that we saw over the course of his career.

Ward had the time to prepare to retire, but he made the decision not to. He's free to join another team and become their 4th WR. The Steelers FO does not force guys to retire. They allow career decisions to be the made by the players. I respect the organization for allowing the players to do what they want. Hoake retired and had a small ceremony; Ward looks like he's going to walk; Smith is going to retire without a ceremony; Farrior will most likely walk.

The downer of watching these guys leave comes from their great play and success over the years. However, keeping them on will prevent future success. The FO needs to get the next generation on the team and ready to play in future years and every roster spot is critical. This fan would rather see the Steelers win tomorrow than see Ward stand on the sideline one more year because he doesn't want to accept his career is behind him.

Thanks fellas for the great memories. Time to cheer on the next guy that suits up. GO STEELERS!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 9:58 am

kirklandrules wrote:
I agree with Mom, Ward and his agent knew this was coming. It had nothing to do with money and more to do with space on the roster. Hines Ward has been the toughest receiver in the NFL for the past 50 years ... maybe THE toughest of all. The reality is 14 years of that tough play has taken it's toll. It seemed 2011 was the year he had a big drop off in his production. He just didn't seem to break the tackles or make that one move to keep plays alive that we saw over the course of his career.

Ward had the time to prepare to retire, but he made the decision not to. He's free to join another team and become their 4th WR. The Steelers FO does not force guys to retire. They allow career decisions to be the made by the players. I respect the organization for allowing the players to do what they want. Hoake retired and had a small ceremony; Ward looks like he's going to walk; Smith is going to retire without a ceremony; Farrior will most likely walk.

The downer of watching these guys leave comes from their great play and success over the years. However, keeping them on will prevent future success. The FO needs to get the next generation on the team and ready to play in future years and every roster spot is critical. This fan would rather see the Steelers win tomorrow than see Ward stand on the sideline one more year because he doesn't want to accept his career is behind him.

Thanks fellas for the great memories. Time to cheer on the next guy that suits up. GO STEELERS!

Well put, KR! The team needs to move on and keep the championship wheels turning. They can't do that by keeping guys around who are on their way out. It's all about maintaining a delicate balance of youth, production, chemistry, leadership, and experience... all while remaining under the salary cap. When the salary starts to outweigh the production and becomes a burden towards maintaining that balance, it's time to move in another direction.

I wish nothing more than Hines to remain as productive as he's always been and stay with the team forever, but it's just an unrealistic expectation. Every player hits that wall or begins the downward slope of their career at some point. It seems that Hines may have finally hit that wall and it doesn't make sense monetarily or production-wise to keep him around when he can't help on the field much and has no upside for the future. I hate saying those things, but it's the truth.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...   Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum... Empty

Back to top Go down

Bye bye terrible towel and nice forum...
Page 1 of 1