Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeThe offensive personal  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

The offensive personal

Go down 
+5
Mach1
SteelersYak
fer69
Wallace108
Nickthesteelman
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Nickthesteelman
Xtreme Newb

The offensive personal  Empty
PostSubject: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyWed May 23, 2012 5:18 pm

There is all this talk about with Todd Haley coming in that we will be running the ball more than passing. Honestly, the question I have is: why can't it be even? Bruce Arians always struggled to find that balance, and my hope for 2012 and beyond that we can make it to where the other team doesn't know what to stop to beat our offense. Emmanuel sanders said that there is a lot of play action. This is great because if your running game is strong then your passing game will be great as well. Does our team have more of a run offense or a passing offense? Before with kemoatu, he was a running guard who struggled against the pass. Now with decastro, we have a running guard AND a great pass blocking guard. We have receivers and a quarterback to be a strong passing team, but we also have diverse running backs and a good offensive line(on paper) to be a strong running team. The question is, what does Steeler Nation think our offense is best at? Follow me on twitter @Nickthesteelman if you want to talk more steelers.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyWed May 23, 2012 6:09 pm

A lot of fans were concerned that we'd be going back to the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mentality. Based on everything I've been reading, I don't think that's the case. I think we're going to see a nice mixture of running and passing. Arians always treated the running game as an afterthought ... "OK, I'll throw in some running plays to keep everyone happy." I expect a balanced attack from Haley.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:18 pm

with Haley i think we are gonna pass when we have to pass
and run when we have to run, He'll game plan according
to the team we are playing that week

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:20 pm

They had a great run game in KC, and he didn't have the best running backs in the league.

I'm excited to see how he utilizes the weapons we have.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:20 pm

fer69 wrote:
with Haley i think we are gonna pass when we have to pass
and run when we have to run, He'll game plan according
to the team we are playing that week
Bingo. The offensive personal  184121345

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Nickthesteelman
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Arians was so stubborn about adjusting the game plan, good to have him gone. I really think hailey has a bad reputation, but the players really seem like they want to please him.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:59 pm

Nickthesteelman wrote:
Arians was so stubborn about adjusting the game plan, good to have him gone. I really think hailey has a bad reputation, but the players really seem like they want to please him.
No doubt.

If you haven't seen it, here's an interesting quote from Emmanuel Sanders regarding the new offense:

Quote :
“Some games it might be 60-40 pass; some games it might be 70-30 run,” WR Emmanuel Sanders said of the new offense. “It all depends on the defense that we’re playing that week which is smart.”

I think it's obvious why he mentioned that it's smart to set your strategy based on the defense you're facing. That was always my biggest knock against Arians ... he had his plays and he was going to run them, regardless of what the defense was doing.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Wait a minute, there is more to football than just trying to run the same plays and the same offense no matter who you are playing? affraid The offensive personal  3029611895

Mind = blown.
The offensive personal  1797695198

Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyThu May 24, 2012 12:34 am

Ben doesn't get paid 100 Mil to hand the ball off. The offensive personal  1689750825

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyThu May 24, 2012 12:41 am

Mach1 wrote:
Ben doesn't get paid 100 Mil to hand the ball off. The offensive personal  1689750825
The offensive personal  3939274466

And in recent years, the O-line obviously didn't get paid to block. The offensive personal  3798349058

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyThu May 24, 2012 4:23 am

It's almost certainly going to be a more balanced and, more importantly, sensible attack. Haley sounds like he plans on playing to the strengths of our offensive personnel and the weaknesses of the defenses each week. This will be a breath of fresh air no doubt.

I don't want to see a return of the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" nor do I want to see the "drop back and chuck it" philosophy of the past few years. Balance is where it's at to keep defenses on their toes and guessing.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyThu May 24, 2012 4:41 am

Back when Bradshaw was playing we probably ran more than pass but with Swann and Stallworth plus Grossman other teams didn't know how to handle us. I don't see us being a heavy run offense but I do see us being balanced.
With this line we should be capable of doing both well. When we play say the Ravens we may pass more (shhhh don't tell Jon)
Brown's --anything we want to The offensive personal  1797695198 I had to throw that in.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyThu May 24, 2012 8:36 am

solardave wrote:
Back when Bradshaw was playing we probably ran more than pass but with Swann and Stallworth plus Grossman other teams didn't know how to handle us. I don't see us being a heavy run offense but I do see us being balanced.
With this line we should be capable of doing both well. When we play say the Ravens we may pass more (shhhh don't tell Jon)
Brown's --anything we want to The offensive personal  1797695198 I had to throw that in.

But Bradshaw called a majority of his plays. I think that is the catch here. Bradshaw knew when to listen to the OC (which according to Bradshaw wasn't that frequent), and when to run something more suitable to what he saw on the field.

Ben isn't there yet. I think he wants to be but a lot of QBs today don't have the mentality, the ability, or the long-term dedication to learn something as complex as defensive schemes.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION The offensive personal  3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyThu May 24, 2012 10:11 am

If the o-line can get out there and block someone then I'd be happy with a run heaver offense and I think Haley will bring a better run offense with him then whats his name had.

If the beef can block its hard telling what the play call will be.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  EmptyThu May 24, 2012 10:13 am

I would like to see the stats of us running play action and throws to Wallace. If my memory serves me right, it seems like we take a lot of chances down field with Wallace after PA and that's when it has been most successful.

PostSubject: Re: The offensive personal    The offensive personal  Empty

Back to top Go down

The offensive personal
Page 1 of 1