Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWhy the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks Empty
PostSubject: Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks   Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 6:42 pm

I was a bit taken aback when I read a post by Josh Alper last week on Pro Football Talk which read: “Max Starks nearing 100 percent, still no spot for him with Steelers.” In the post, Alper discussed how Starks’ rehab coming off of his torn ACL has gone quite well, and that Starks said he is nearing 100%. Unfortunately for Starks, the Steelers apparently are not very interested in bringing him back for his 9th season. According to a recent tweet from Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (linked by Alper), the Steelers “won’t consider Starks until/if Adams fails or an injury to Gilbert.”

I was a tad shocked when I read the aforementioned tweet, because I figured that the Steelers would at least consider giving Starks a tryout or at least a chance to prove to the organization that his knee was healthy coming off of his injury which he sustained in the Playoffs. In fact, I believe that if Starks’ health holds up, he would actually be a valuable signing for the Steelers, because he could bring three very important things to the 2012 team: depth, experience, and leadership.

Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks 5662836-300x225
Starks is still unsigned, but hopefully the team will consider bringing him back. Mandatory Credit: Jason Bridge-US PRESSWIRE

Depth, Experience, and Leadership

Injuries have completely ravaged the Offensive Line over the last few seasons, but most notably at the Tackle position. Starks, as well as Willie Colon, and Jonathan Scott have gone down with injuries, and turned in some less than stellar performances. This has led to mass shuffling along the Offensive Line and guys like Flozell Adams and even Starks have been signed late in the offseason/during the regular season. To their credit, the Steelers have done their due diligence and acquired two fantastic young Tackles in the last two Drafts in the forms of Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams, yet there is not a whole heck of a lot of experience behind both the Rookie Adams and Gilbert who is just starting his 2nd season.

Yet on a positional unit that is just beginning to get settled, disaster could strike in the form of injury or poor play and Rookie mistakes at any minute. With those things in mind, depth, especially experienced depth is a valuable asset to have, and Starks has plenty of experience. Plus, do you want to see Jonathan Scott or another backup with limited experience taking snaps and protecting Big Ben’s blind-side on a consistent basis again? Protecting #7 is the most important thing for this franchise to do, and the best way is making sure that he can stand upright, no matter what sorts of injuries happen at the Offensive Tackle position.

Furthermore, what better mentor to have for guys like Gilbert and Adams, along with the rest of the young Offensive Linemen than Starks? The guy has played 8 seasons in the League, started 79 games over 8 seasons, started at Right Tackle for one Super Bowl winning team, and at Left Tackle for another. He has experienced demotion (when he lost his Right Tackle job to Willie Colon), injuries (missed most of 2010 with neck injury), and all sorts of other ups and downs over his eight year career. Starks knows what it takes to be a professional, play well, and carve out a long career in the League. Because of this, he could be a solid influence for the Offensive Linemen as well as the younger players to look up to in the locker room.

read more:http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/07/04/why-the-steelers-should-bring-back-max-starks/

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks   Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 7:53 pm

He should be brought in and at least given an opportunity to make the team. I think even an 80% Starks could beat out Jonathan Scott. Truly a head scratcher that they aren't going to give him a look.

Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks   Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I certainly don't take a single tweet from Mark Kaboly as gospel on the matter. Kevin Colbert has consistently maintained that they are tracking Starks' progress and that they are not against taking a look at him when he's ready to go.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks   Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
I certainly don't take a single tweet from Mark Kaboly as gospel on the matter. Kevin Colbert has consistently maintained that they are tracking Starks' progress and that they are not against taking a look at him when he's ready to go.
Hmmm, good point Dodens. I could have sworn I read a few months ago that someone (possibly Colbert) said they had no plans to bring Starks back, even if he was healthy. But I can't find anything on it. I guess it's possible I was reading too much into Starks' own comments. Things like:

Quote :
“As for myself, I don’t see (me being a part of that battle) unless there is something I don’t know,” Starks said.

Well, I certainly hope I was reading the situation completely wrong and that they plan on bringing him back (even as a backup) if he's healthy.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks   Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks Empty

Back to top Go down

Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks
Page 1 of 1