Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers bring back Starks on one-year deal Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal

Go down 
+6
Lemondrop
Buddha Bus
SteelerBunny
Bays
vasteeler
Wallace108
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal Empty
PostSubject: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:58 pm

By Alan Robinson

He’s back.

Left tackle Max Starks, cleared medically to play again, signed a one-year contract Tuesday with the Steelers. Starks had surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee that occurred in the upset loss to Denver in the AFC playoffs.

This is the second straight season that Starks has returned to the Steelers after being off the roster. After the Steelers’ offensive line struggled during the first month of last season, he returned to start the fifth game and was the starting left tackle the rest of the season.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2222100-85/starks-steelers-season-start-adams-cleared-denver-game-max-offensive?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Steelers+Stories%29
-------------------------------------------

Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal 1647293567

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:00 pm

very good Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal 1372836603

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:09 pm

Woohoo! Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal 1647293567

Xtreme Newb
SteelerBunny

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Yay Max. Good news all around
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:59 pm

SWEET!!! Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal 348340646

Now let's jettison Jonathan Scott's carcass ASAP! Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal 3798349058

Seriously, I couldn't be happier that they brought Max back. Now we have a reliable insurance policy in case Adams isn't ready to be a starter on day one. I have faith Adams will, at least, develop into a solid or better starter for us, but he may not be prepared to be the man for the season kickoff. Great news!

Back to top Go down
Lemondrop
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 5:00 pm

I absolutely agree with everyone else - excellent news about Starks. A quality OLineman, at the only position I was concerned about.

With Starks, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro and Gilbert starting, with Adams, Legs, Foster and Essex as reserves, we have our best OLine in a decade - the one position that was a weakness, has become a strength! Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal 1647293567

Now we need to get Mikey into the fold...
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Lemondrop wrote:
I absolutely agree with everyone else - excellent news about Starks. A quality OLineman, at the only position I was concerned about.

With Starks, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro and Gilbert starting, with Adams, Legs, Foster and Essex as reserves, we have our best OLine in a decade - the one position that was a weakness, has become a strength! Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal 1647293567

I don't see Starks as a starter, in fact, Mike Adams would be at Left Tackle. Legs will probably start.

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 7:47 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Lemondrop wrote:

I don't see Starks as a starter, in fact, Mike Adams would be at Left Tackle. Legs will probably start.

You may be right - they've said alll along that Adams has to earn the LT job, but I "assumed" that Starks would get the job out of TC, with Adams taking over mid-season. Outside of Pouncey (and what we all assume of DeCastro), the Steelers usually don't start any rookies... even Ben!

Long term, though, I absolutely hope that Adams is good enough to push big Max to the bench - it will bode well for our future. Either way, I'm pretty ecstatic over the state of our line. Between Adams and Starks, and Gilbert if necessary, our LT position is pretty secure. Worst comes to worst, we could always put Gilbert at LT, move Colon back to RT, and put Legs back to LG.

I'm thinking that, despite his (numerous) injuries over the last couple of seasons, I speculated that Colon would beat out Legs for the LG. A OT is usually more talented than a career OG, due to the demands of the position - so many think Legs will sit behind Colon. It's a horse race, and the winner is all Steeler fans! We've got talent!
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Lemondrop wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Lemondrop wrote:

You may be right - they've said alll along that Adams has to earn the LT job, but I "assumed" that Starks would get the job out of TC, with Adams taking over mid-season. Outside of Pouncey (and what we all assume of DeCastro), the Steelers usually don't start any rookies... even Ben!

Long term, though, I absolutely hope that Adams is good enough to push big Max to the bench - it will bode well for our future. Either way, I'm pretty ecstatic over the state of our line. Between Adams and Starks, and Gilbert if necessary, our LT position is pretty secure. Worst comes to worst, we could always put Gilbert at LT, move Colon back to RT, and put Legs back to LG.

I'm thinking that, despite his (numerous) injuries over the last couple of seasons, I speculated that Colon would beat out Legs for the LG. A OT is usually more talented than a career OG, due to the demands of the position - so many think Legs will sit behind Colon. It's a horse race, and the winner is all Steeler fans! We've got talent!

I'm sorry man, and I agree. I thought you listed Adams as being a starter, as well as Starks, which is why I commented. My bad.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:31 pm

They wouldn't have moved Colon and given him a big deal the year prior if they weren't going to start him. Foster would start over Legursky as well.

Adams vs. Starks will be interesting to watch. Ideally, obviously, Adams wins out, leaving Starks as the backup at both tackle positions.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:21 am

Dodens Grav wrote:
Adams vs. Starks will be interesting to watch. Ideally, obviously, Adams wins out, leaving Starks as the backup at both tackle positions.
Yep.
Signing Starks puts them in a great position. It's a win-win.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:02 am

Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal 1372836603

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:56 am

I was honestly beginning to worry about the Rooneys' and Colbert's mental well-being when there were reports that they didn't intend to bring him back. I guess they did just want to see how he progressed health-wise before signing him first.

Something else lost in this is the fact that this could go a long way toward soothing Ben's sore butt about Arians being shown the door. It's no secret Ben and Starks are close friends and this could help to mend some of the hard feelings about Brucie being ousted. It certainly can't hurt and I'm sure Ben feels more comfortable and happier having Starks around.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 9:07 am

I hope he's worked on his first step during the off-season. I saw a few games last year that he got blown off the ball by a straight bull rush where he wasn't able to even get a hand on the rusher. It's great that he's back and brings security to a line that has been demolished by injury over the last few years.

All that aside, bringing back Starks helps anchor what I feel has been the weakest link to our offense, and should help get the younger guys more leadership and direction.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 9:44 am

I see a bunch of happy campers in here Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal 1797695198

Starks can take some pressure off and help coach Adams up too.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:56 am

First he mentioned seeing a doctor, and then he immediately posted a picture of his new contract. I'm assuming the Steelers we're waiting for that last doctors notice.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 8:04 pm

I wrote an article trying to make sense of the Starks and Wallace situation and how they intertwine, trying to disentangle various threads. Sorry for posting it in both threads, but it's equally applicable to both.

Steelers' re-signing of Max Starks may also help to retain Mike Wallace

Quote :
Yesterday, knowledgeable members of Steeler Nation were pleased to hear the news that veteran tackle Max Starks had re-signed with the team on a one year deal. Though it is not the ideal scenario that he start (the hope is that rookie second round left tackle Mike Adams out of Ohio State will be ready to start week 1), it is a valuable option. In addition, the return of Starks shores up the weakest link in an otherwise very promising rebuilt offensive line that includes 4 picks in the top 2 rounds of the draft over the past 3 seasons: depth at the tackle position.

When looking at the opening day starting lineup in 2011, it is projected that there will be only one starter returning to his position when this season gets under way: All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert, a rookie 2nd round pick last year, did start 13 games, but Willie Colon was the starting right tackle on opening day before being lost for the season due to injury.

Quote :
The Steelers are likely approximately $3 million under the 2012 salary cap after factoring in Starks’ speculated veteran minimum contract. The team also has the opportunity to exercise 3 $500,000 veteran salary cap credits, which, in essence, would shift $1.5 million against the 2012 salary cap to 2013. That would theoretically place the team somewhere around $4.5 million under the salary cap.

Add in the fact that Mike Wallace’s $2.7 million 1st round tender that he has not signed is already factored into the salary cap total, and that leaves the team with over $7 million against the salary cap to donate to signing Wallace. If you then consider the hypothetical release of Jonathan Scott, which seems likely with the return of Max Starks regardless of the Wallace decision, and it now approaches somewhere around the $9.5 million figure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal   Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers bring back Starks on one-year deal
Page 1 of 1