Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeFrequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming

Go down 
+2
Gingerchip
Buddha Bus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming Empty
PostSubject: Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming   Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:21 pm

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Tuesday, August 14, 2012, 8:48 p.m.

Fights happen during training camp.

A shove, push or an occasional punch happens, or as linebacker Larry Foote likes to call them, “camp fights.”

This year, however, they are happening with much more frequency.

And if Sunday was any indication they are occurring with much more ferocity — and that’s gotten the attention of team leaders Ryan Clark and Ben Roethlisberger.

Clark had conversations with Roethlisberger and Ike Taylor to put an end to a potentially damaging issue following two brawls Sunday involving Taylor and receiver Antonio Brown. Taylor suffered a gash under his right eye.

“We can’t let our ego get in the way to the point where it hurts the team,” Clark said. “I brought us up afterwards and told them that ‘family’ fights. But I also told them that we need to be united when we leave this field. We always have been united, and I don’t want to lose that by fighting out here.”

There have been at least eight incidents during the first 12 padded practices, but none that had the emotion of Sunday’s fight between Brown and Taylor.

Not only did it involve two of the Steelers’ best players, the altercation went to a level rarely seen among teammates.

(Read More:) http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2407127-85/taylor-brown-clark-field-fights-incident-fight-ike-sunday-team?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Steelers+Stories%29

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming   Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:23 am

I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember reading about fighting in training camp before this year. I realize that the media needs a story, but I am beginning to wonder if the loss of Farrior and Ward's leadership, Wallace's holdout, and all of the changes have, in some small way, made it a little tougher for the team to coalesce.

I know that they will be fine once the season begins, so I'm not too concerned. At least there wasn't a 20 man pileup fight like the Jets had at camp.

Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming   Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:32 am

Gingerchip wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember reading about fighting in training camp before this year. I realize that the media needs a story, but I am beginning to wonder if the loss of Farrior and Ward's leadership, Wallace's holdout, and all of the changes have, in some small way, made it a little tougher for the team to coalesce.

I know that they will be fine once the season begins, so I'm not too concerned. At least there wasn't a 20 man pileup fight like the Jets had at camp.

Scuffles in practice aren't uncommon, although it's usually over and done with as soon as they're separated. Based on some of the comments, the fact that it happened twice between Brown and Taylor, and some of the things that happened afterward, I suspect there might be more to it than simply something that happened in the "heat of battle." But whatever is going on between them will be worked out soon, if it hasn't been already.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming   Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:25 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Scuffles in practice aren't uncommon, although it's usually over and done with as soon as they're separated. Based on some of the comments, the fact that it happened twice between Brown and Taylor, and some of the things that happened afterward, I suspect there might be more to it than simply something that happened in the "heat of battle." But whatever is going on between them will be worked out soon, if it hasn't been already.

Brotherly love returns for Taylor and Brown
Posted by Teresa Varley on August 14, 2012 – 5:18 pm

The fight that broke out between cornerback Ike Taylor and wide receiver Antonio Brown at practice on Sunday, which turned into a skirmish after practice as well, is in the rearview mirror and they are moving forward like all families do when there are disagreements.

“Brothers get into it. We are family,” said Taylor. “That is how it is sometimes. Up here in Latrobe we are getting tired of seeing each other. We are two highly competitive guys and when you have the same blood type things are about to happen. We are cool.”

The two talked after practice Sunday, resolving things right away.

“In the heat of the moment, we let our emotions get the best of us,” said Brown. “But at the end of the day, that’s my brother not just on the field but also off the field. We have a great relationship with each other that goes far beyond just one incident. It’s training camp. We’re competing against each other every day. I think early in the practice, he was a little ticked off about something that happened, and maybe me trying to rip the ball out stemmed his mind to someone who ticked him off earlier.

(Read More:) http://blog.steelers.com/2012/08/14/brotherly-love-returns-for-taylor-and-brown/

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming   Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:33 am

They're both quality individuals and are saying all the right things, so we'll probably never know exactly what happened. But I still say it was more than just "heat of the battle" skirmishes. In addition to what I said earlier, I find the following quote from Brown interesting:

Quote :
The two had breakfast at Caffé Davio on Pittsburgh’s South Side on their day off Monday and Brown will be the guest on Taylor’s radio show on Tuesday night.

“We ate breakfast yesterday,” said Brown. “We sat down for about an hour or two and had out our differences.

If it was just a "heat of the moment" scuffle between two highly competitive players, wouldn't they just shake hands, hug, and laugh about it afterward? Would they need to sit down for an hour or two and work out their differences? Whatever is going on between them, they're both great guys and great players, I don't think either one of them would allow their personal feelings to affect the team.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming   Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:45 am

Well, whether their feelings are completely mended or not, sounds like they'll be keeping their emotions in check from here on out. I can completely understand people getting under each others skin during training camp. I think its much ado about nothing. Their fights may have been more heated than normal, but I don't think the frequency of fights is alarming.

Seems Clark handled the situation pretty well by confronting it head on, and seems like everyone is ready to move on.

Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming   Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:23 pm

I wouldn't look too much into it, this stuff happens all of the time. It's a part of camp, and once we've played our first regular season game, they're minds will be fully on the following weeks opponent.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming   Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:44 pm

bayz101 wrote:
I wouldn't look too much into it, this stuff happens all of the time. It's a part of camp, and once we've played our first regular season game, they're minds will be fully on the following weeks opponent.
Yeah, scuffles happen. But there's more to this than just "extracurricular activities" in the heat of battle. What happened between Taylor and Brown does not happen all the time. There's a reason why Ryan Clark felt the need to talk to his teammates and why Brown and Taylor had to get together and they (in Brown's words) "ironed out our differences."

As Steelers fans, we like to think that our team is above locker room drama and that everything will always be lollipops and unicorns. But that's not reality. I said in my last post that I don't think this issue will affect the team, and I believe that. But I also don't think it's a non-issue or that the media is making a big deal over nothing. Of course the team will downplay it, but it is a big deal, and hopefully they worked out whatever problems they had with each other. I'm betting that they did and that it's over.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming   Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Yeah, scuffles happen. But there's more to this than just "extracurricular activities" in the heat of battle. What happened between Taylor and Brown does not happen all the time. There's a reason why Ryan Clark felt the need to talk to his teammates and why Brown and Taylor had to get together and they (in Brown's words) "ironed out our differences."

As Steelers fans, we like to think that our team is above locker room drama and that everything will always be lollipops and unicorns. But that's not reality. I said in my last post that I don't think this issue will affect the team, and I believe that. But I also don't think it's a non-issue or that the media is making a big deal over nothing. Of course the team will downplay it, but it is a big deal, and hopefully they worked out whatever problems they had with each other. I'm betting that they did and that it's over.

Mmmmm...... lollipops and unicorns. I like my unicorn with some butter, salt, pepper, and a dash of Old Bay. Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming 3337014354 Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming 2927775184

Back to top Go down
CapLovesTroyP43

CapLovesTroyP43

PostSubject: Re: Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming   Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Testostorone happens! Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming 1645253483

"WE WILL NOT GO GENTLY. WE WILL UNLEASH HELL" MIKE TOMLIN

Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming 2480670802 Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming 2287965686 Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming 1948569602

FREEDOM...NOT COMMUNISM!!!! :old glory: :old glory: :old glory:

"AND OUR QB WEARS THE NUMBER SEVEN" RICH BANKS

CAP'S FAVORITE ICON... Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming 1645253483 Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming 1645253483 Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming 1645253483
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming   Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1