Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeExamining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
steelersfan87

Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster Empty
PostSubject: Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster   Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster (Read More)

The Pittsburgh Steelers have announced their initial 53 man roster today following the release/waiving of 20 players and the announcement that rookie 3rd round selection Sean Spence would be placed on injured reserve. First, let’s take a look at the list of cuts:

P Jeremy Kapinos
OL Trai Essex
DE Corbin Bryant
QB Jerrod Johnson
WR Tyler Beiler
WR Marquis Maze
WR Toney Clemons
WR David Gilreath
WR Derrick Williams
S Damon Cromartie-Smith
CB Terrence Frederick
CB Josh Victorian
RB DuJuan Harris
LB Brandon Hicks
LB Marshall McFadden
DE Jake Stoller
DE Ikponmwosa Igbinosun
OG Ryan Lee
OG/T Chris Scott
OG/C John Malecki

For those aware, these 21 moves cut the Steelers’ roster from 75 to 54. The 22nd spot is accounted for by the 4 week suspension that backup tight end Weslye Saunders is set to begin serving tomorrow. In addition, 1st round rookie guard David DeCastro, who suffered a significant knee injury, will be placed on the brand new 8 week injured reserve list on Tuesday at 4 PM, which will open a roster spot that one of the above listed cut players may fill.

Now, before taking a look at the final roster, let’s see what these cuts tell us about the Steelers of 2012 thus far. The release of the 5 wide receivers means that they plan to go with only 4 on the active roster this year. For comparison, they carried 6 last year. Likewise, they will only carry 4 cornerbacks, as opposed to the 6 of last year.

Undrafted rookie punter Drew Butler won the punting job by default, as Kapinos suffered a back injury in training camp. Also, defensive end Al Woods won the 4th DE spot on the roster. It is likely that Corbin Bryant’s practice squad eligibility played a key role in the decision.

The team elected to go with 7th round rookie lineman Kelvin Beachum over veteran jack of all trades Trai Essex. Both struggled mightily in the first two preseason games, but appeared to settle down in the final two. It is possible that Essex is the one to be re-signed after DeCastro is moved off the active roster.

Counting the fullback position, the Steelers decided to keep 6 running backs, including starter Rashard Mendenhall, who, despite dressing, did not play in last night’s preseason finale and is not expected to be ready to play for another couple weeks. Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer are likely to share the bulk of the load in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster   Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 1:17 pm

I liked Maze there at the end. He made some great catches in that last game.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster   Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 2:37 pm

He had one catch on a screen pass for one yard and one catch for 31 yards. I'm pretty sure those were his only catches. He definitely didn't do enough.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster   Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 2:51 pm

I wasn't impressed at all with Maze. As Doden's said ... he had one nice catch in the final game. If a fifth receiver would have made it, it would have been Gilreath.

The one guy I'm surprised about is Beachum. I'm not sure how he made it over Essex. At best, I think Beachum should have been on the practice squad.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster   Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 5:28 pm

Maze brings a lot to the table, including the return game. I don't think the decision to keep him was based on his catches only.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster   Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 5:33 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Maze brings a lot to the table, including the return game. I don't think the decision to keep him was based on his catches only.
They didn't keep Maze. He didn't even make the practice squad. They kept Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery. Clemons and Gilreath are on the practice squad.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster   Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 5:40 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
They didn't keep Maze. He didn't even make the practice squad. They kept Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery. Clemons and Gilreath are on the practice squad.
And this is why you don't post with a fever..,

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster   Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
And this is why you don't post with a fever..,

Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster 1664291743 Get some rest, dude. I don't wanna have to put you on IR right before the season begins.

Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster   Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 7:22 pm

Regarding Beachum, I found that he played much better in the last two preseason games than in the first two. He had no penalties and he struggled a lot less physically. Perhaps he's beginning to get a handle on the angles game that DeCastro was initially struggling with. While I do not believe that he necessarily outplayed Essex, my belief is that he was cut with the intention to re-sign him after DeCastro is put on IR, and that they chose to use this option with Essex and not Beachum because Essex, as a veteran, would not be subject to the waiver system.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster   Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
Regarding Beachum, I found that he played much better in the last two preseason games than in the first two. He had no penalties and he struggled a lot less physically. Perhaps he's beginning to get a handle on the angles game that DeCastro was initially struggling with. While I do not believe that he necessarily outplayed Essex, my belief is that he was cut with the intention to re-sign him after DeCastro is put on IR, and that they chose to use this option with Essex and not Beachum because Essex, as a veteran, would not be subject to the waiver system.
That sounds like a likely scenario. I think it's safe to say the Steelers know a bit more than I do in these matters. Hard to believe, I know. Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster 3798349058

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster   Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster Empty

Back to top Go down

Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster
Page 1 of 1