Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeExamining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?

Go down 
+3
IowaSteeler927
SteelerFreak58
effyou515
7 posters
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? Empty
PostSubject: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyTue May 18, 2021 3:51 pm

This is the first of two articles that will study the Steelers’ run game. This one looks at what went wrong in 2020 while its companion considers how new coordinator Matt Canada and the pieces acquired via the recently completed NFL draft might change things in 2021.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/5/18/22436201/examining-the-steelers-run-game-part-one-what-went-wrong-in-2020-randy-fichtner-james-conner-nfl

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyWed May 19, 2021 12:08 am

Good article and excellent valid points. Fitchner should have never been OC. The run scheme and blocking was absolutely abysmal and the back situation not that great either. Over all a good straight forward article that points out the many areas this team mist improve on and quickly of they want to keep pace with the Ravens and Browns in the AFC North.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyWed May 19, 2021 8:15 am

So maddening last season watching them try to run the football. The worst running game I've seen in my years as a Steelers fan by far.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyThu May 20, 2021 4:15 pm

Seems to me this article is a solid indictment against Sarrett. Missed assignments and poor execution by the O-linemen would fall to the O-line coach. A walking-wounded Pouncey doesn't help. I suspect several of those run plays are part of the Canada playbook (look at the pre-snap motion and misdirection).
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyFri May 21, 2021 5:30 am

kirklandrules wrote:
Seems to me this article is a solid indictment against Sarrett. Missed assignments and poor execution by the O-linemen would fall to the O-line coach. A walking-wounded Pouncey doesn't help. I suspect several of those run plays are part of the Canada playbook (look at the pre-snap motion and misdirection).

So are you saying that you think Canada's running scheme could be a weak point? Or was this an aging line problem. I want to believe it was age and an OC who called bad plays. As bad as I thought Fitchner was I know he knows more about football than I ever will.I also know you do too.That's why I'm asking you KR.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyFri May 21, 2021 5:33 pm

solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

So are you saying that you think Canada's running scheme could be a weak point? Or was this an aging line problem. I want to believe it was age and an OC who called bad plays. As bad as I thought Fitchner was I know he knows more about football than I ever will.I also know you do too.That's why I'm asking you KR.

Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? 190127080 that's some pressure, buddy! This is all my opinion, but that article, which I thought was well done, indicates the O-line had issues and you have to look to their coach, Sarrett. I'll say that every team will have a guy who isn't 100% (Pouncey for sure) and maybe not effective in run blocking (AV) and can struggle to identify the correct target to block (Chuks) and a back who might not run with commitment or hit the right hole (Snell). And you can win a Super Bowl with these issues as long as they are not persistent. If everyone does their job and wins their battle on every play, just about every run play is a TD.

Given the season long running issues the team had last season, I think the root causes were 1)Poor coaching (Sarrett); 2) A lack of priority in the scheme (Fitchner). Run blocking is like developing a muscle. If you don't do it enough, it's hard to be good at it. Does that mean you have to have more runs than passes to be a dominate run team? No. But you can't be near the bottom of the league for attempts either.

And I don't think the problems were an age factor as much as some of the older guys were battling injuries, which was a contributing factor. I'm hoping to see the younger guys (Chuks, Banner and Dotson) along with a healthy DeCastro getting after people. I also think Harris will show people how a really good back can create opportunities and help the O-line. No offense to the guys running the past few years, but you're not going to win a Kentucky Derby with a mule ... a thoroughbred is called for.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyFri May 21, 2021 7:00 pm

kirklandrules wrote:

arthur moats discussing the terrible oline play in one of his latter podcast (maybe week 10-12 ? ) pointed out the differences in beginning of the season when they had success, and latter on in the season. he noted the motions and shifts they were doing at the beginning disappeared as the season went on. Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? 2087824411
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyFri May 21, 2021 11:55 pm

Sun Tsu, the Art of War. That's what the shifting gives you. Winnable positions to put your linemen and players in. When Canada takes over completely, the hope is that we will see this all throughout the season.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptySat May 22, 2021 1:12 am

kirklandrules wrote:
solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? 190127080 that's some pressure, buddy! This is all my opinion, but that article, which I thought was well done, indicates the O-line had issues and you have to look to their coach, Sarrett. I'll say that every team will have a guy who isn't 100% (Pouncey for sure) and maybe not effective in run blocking (AV) and can struggle to identify the correct target to block (Chuks) and a back who might not run with commitment or hit the right hole (Snell). And you can win a Super Bowl with these issues as long as they are not persistent. If everyone does their job and wins their battle on every play, just about every run play is a TD.

Given the season long running issues the team had last season, I think the root causes were 1)Poor coaching (Sarrett); 2) A lack of priority in the scheme (Fitchner). Run blocking is like developing a muscle. If you don't do it enough, it's hard to be good at it. Does that mean you have to have more runs than passes to be a dominate run team? No. But you can't be near the bottom of the league for attempts either.

And I don't think the problems were an age factor as much as some of the older guys were battling injuries, which was a contributing factor. I'm hoping to see the younger guys (Chuks, Banner and Dotson) along with a healthy DeCastro getting after people. I also think Harris will show people how a really good back can create opportunities and help the O-line. No offense to the guys running the past few years, but you're not going to win a Kentucky Derby with a mule ... a thoroughbred is called for.

a new OC, QB coach, O-LINE coach and the front office get on the same page work together and right this offense? imho fitchner was letting ben take over more of the offense in the 2nd half of the season.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptySat May 22, 2021 4:14 am

kirklandrules wrote:
solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

So you're saying.....SUPERBOWL Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? 3562723908
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptySat May 22, 2021 4:16 am

effyou515 wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

a new OC, QB coach, O-LINE coach and the front office get on the same page work together and right this offense? imho fitchner was letting ben take over more of the offense in the 2nd half of the season.

In Ben's defense someone had to.Hopefully Canada will be the leader that Ben will follow.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptySat May 22, 2021 4:25 am

personally i dont think the oline is going to magically play like a well oil machined this year. a couple rookies , and a few 2nd rate additions does not equal a competent unit. the bar was set pretty low for this years unit so i dont see anywhere for them to go but up , but i'm keeping expectations in check.
im guessing not to many rookie olinemen have made the probowl.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyThu May 27, 2021 9:27 am

Here's a link to interviews with Highsmith and Dotson. I posted this here because of the Dotson interview that starts at 7:04. Although he's respectful of Sarrett, several of his answers indicate a much more aggressive attitude Klemm is bringing to the group. So Klemm needs to fix that O-Line.

Next we'll need to start a thread on Ike Hilliard teaching the receivers to not drop passes. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyFri May 28, 2021 6:00 am

kirklandrules wrote:

Here's a link to interviews with Highsmith and Dotson. I posted this here because of the Dotson interview that starts at 7:04. Although he's respectful of Sarrett, several of his answers indicate a much more aggressive attitude Klemm is bringing to the group. So Klemm needs to fix that O-Line.

Next we'll need to start a thread on Ike Hilliard teaching the receivers to not drop passes. Rolling Eyes

Here's to both of these guys taking the next step.I see Friermuth taking Ebron's starting role in camp so that should give Ben a few more receptions. Since Ebron and Johnson dropped the most passes maybe James Washington plays a bigger role. We definitely have things to work out on defense especially in the secondary. I still think we can win the AFCN this year in spite of all the ????
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyFri May 28, 2021 7:21 pm

solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

Here's to both of these guys taking the next step.I see Friermuth taking Ebron's starting role in camp so that should give Ben a few more receptions. Since Ebron and Johnson dropped the most passes maybe James Washington plays a bigger role. We definitely have things to work out on defense especially in the secondary. I still think we can win the AFCN this year in spite of all the ????

if canada's offense looks anything like his college offense , i dont think it really matters who you call the "starter". they both will get considerable playing time with 2 TE sets. i think it will be johnson who might see his reps diminish. put those big bodied receivers out there who can block for the run game and create mismatches in the passing game. juju at 6'2" and the other 3 at 6"4" + . Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? 1945926454 i mean as a DC , what personnel do you defend that with ? do you keep your base D on the field and hope your LBs can cover the TE's and harris ? or go with the nickle and they run the ball straight at ya.
this is what the browns did to the steelers.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyMon May 31, 2021 6:18 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

if canada's offense looks anything like his college offense , i dont think it really matters who you call the "starter". they both will get considerable playing time with 2 TE sets. i think it will be johnson who might see his reps diminish. put those big bodied receivers out there who can block for the run game and create mismatches in the passing game. juju at 6'2" and the other 3 at 6"4" + . Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? 1945926454 i mean as a DC , what personnel do you defend that with ? do you keep your base D on the field and hope your LBs can cover the TE's and harris ? or go with the nickle and they run the ball straight at ya.
this is  what the browns did to the steelers.

I think the offense will be improved with Canada. My main concern is our secondary. Haden is getting long in the tooth. If he gets injured and misses time who fills in? Same goes for the other side for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 7:08 am

solardave wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

this is  what the browns did to the steelers.

I think the offense will be improved with Canada. My  main concern is our secondary. Haden is getting long in the tooth. If he gets injured and misses time who fills in? Same goes for the other side for that matter.
Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? Dont-worry-bout-it
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 9:59 am

So did I miss part2?
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 pm

solardave wrote:
So did I miss part2?
Maybe its streaming on Netflix?

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 4:42 am

Great Randino wrote:
solardave wrote:
So did I miss part2?
Maybe its streaming on Netflix?

I did catch a clip from CNN that said contrary to the actual facts the Steeler's running game was #1 in the league. Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? 3798349058

IowaSteeler927 likes this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 10:35 am

The Steelers 2020 rushing performance has nothing to do with how they’ll run the ball in 2021

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/6/10/22526075/the-steelers-2020-rushing-performance-has-nothing-to-do-with-how-theyll-run-the-ball-in-2021-najee

l believe, yes i believe the Steelers running game will be better this season.

Good down to earth article Eff. Personally I don't think the running game will be as much a concern as our secondary. Haden has missed more than a few games in his career with us and who is behind him? If I'm being an optimist I'd say this is a golden opportunity for some young guys to step up but we're awfully thin there.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 10:44 am

damn lazy fucks, your google broke? Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? 1797695198

Examining the Steelers run game, Part Two: A new and improved zone scheme returns to Pittsburgh

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/5/21/22444103/examining-the-steelers-run-game-part-two-a-new-and-improved-zone-scheme-returns-to-pittsburgh-canada
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2021 10:03 pm

effyou515 wrote:
damn lazy fucks, your google broke? Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? 1797695198

Examining the Steelers run game, Part Two: A new and improved zone scheme returns to Pittsburgh

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/5/21/22444103/examining-the-steelers-run-game-part-two-a-new-and-improved-zone-scheme-returns-to-pittsburgh-canada
Alexa broke my google by sending me Ravens memes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?   Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020? Empty

Back to top Go down

Examining the Steelers Run Game, Part One: What went wrong in 2020?
Page 1 of 1