Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers seeing little gain from Rainey  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey  Empty
PostSubject: Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey    Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 pm

By Mike Bires

PITTSBURGH – In the preseason, Chris Rainey dazzled with his blazing speed. But so far in games that count, he hasn’t come close to making an impact.

The rookie scatback hasn’t been much of a factor in the Steelers’ first three games. He’s hardly had any opportunities to make use of his exceptional speed. And with the chances he's had, he hasn't done much with them.

In his limited role, Rainey has carried the football six times for 15 yards and caught four passes for 27 yards. He’s averaging only 2.5 yards per carry and 6.8 per reception.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger believes one reason for Rainey’s quiet start is that opposing teams key on him the instant he enters a game.

“Teams know something’s going on when he’s out there,” Roethlisberger said.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steeles-see-little-gain-from-rainey/article_69eeecb9-ffbe-56cf-878f-525abeeb0d46.html
---------------------------------------------------------

Rainey was electric in the preseason, but there's a huge difference between preseason and regular season. Quite a few fans were suggesting that Rainey could replace Wallace, but it's not that easy. Rainey will have some big plays this year ... he's just not going to have an impact every game. Or even every few games.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey    Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:00 am

He's not going to be a good running back, and so far, he isn't exactly sure-handed in receiving either, but there's no doubting his talent. He'll step it up at some point this season, and he'll probably fumble, too. It's all a part of being a rookie in the NFL.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey    Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 am

Part of the problem is also the offense. The offense hasn't found itself yet. Heck, none of the running backs are performing particularly well. I said before that Rainey isn't an every-down back, and I still feel that way. But they'll figure out how to use him.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey    Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:17 am

I think Rainey will be just fine. For now he needs to focus on STs, and I believe he would be best used as a short flat/screen type player.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey  3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey    Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:27 am

He will come around before long if he gets a taste of the endzone then it will be on from there.

RoethlisbergersLG78

PostSubject: Re: Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey    Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 6:50 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Part of the problem is also the offense. The offense hasn't found itself yet. Heck, none of the running backs are performing particularly well. I said before that Rainey isn't an every-down back, and I still feel that way. But they'll figure out how to use him.

Hopefully Mendenhall will show the other running backs how to get it done (minus fumbles).
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey    Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 7:38 am

RoethlisbergersLG78 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Hopefully Mendenhall will show the other running backs how to get it done (minus fumbles).
I hope you're right, but I think the problem is more with the line than with the backs. They're not getting room to run, and too frequently, they're getting hit as soon as they get the ball. Perhaps having Mendy back will somehow help them mentally. I don't know ... I'm reaching for anything I can at this point.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey    Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey  Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers seeing little gain from Rainey
Page 1 of 1