Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeLewis ready for attention  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Lewis ready for attention

Go down 
+5
Buddha Bus
steelersfan87
effyou515
Galax Steeler
Wallace108
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Lewis ready for attention  Empty
PostSubject: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 3:53 am

By Ralph Paulk

The Steelers defense did exactly what it needed against AFC North rival Baltimore on Sunday night at Heinz Field.

The Ravens were limited to 47 rushing yards — including 40 by Ray Rice, who saw little daylight on 20 attempts. Torrey Smith, quarterback Joe Flacco’s deep threat, didn’t corral a pass until midway through the fourth quarter.

Yet the Steelers are preparing to face Cleveland on Sunday knowing they wasted a superb defensive effort in a 13-10 defeat.

Cornerbacks Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis were at their best against a receiving corps that ignited a franchise-record 55-point explosion against Oakland. Taylor clamped down on Smith, and Lewis tormented Anquan Boldin, one of the league’s best possession receivers on third down.

“I knew I had to hold my own,” said Lewis, who had teams highs in tackles (10) and passes defensed (two). “We had to challenge them on third down, because Boldin is a big, strong receiver who they like to force it to on third down.

“I knew I had to make those stops. We couldn’t let him get anywhere near the football — just as we couldn’t let Rice get going because he’s the key to their offense.”

Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco appeared to target Lewis, in part, because Taylor gave Smith little room to breathe in tight bump-and-run coverage. Boldin had a game-high eight receptions but averaged only 9.9 yards a catch.

“Keenan has taken it upon himself to improve every week,” safety Ryan Clark said. “He’s taken these challenges personally, and that’s what makes him play at his best.”

Lewis, though, was even more effective against the run. He and Taylor shut down the edge, mostly on stretch plays off right tackle — a ground strategy Cleveland used to protect rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden from Dallas’ pass rush

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2987600-85/lewis-taylor-steelers-game-keenan-boldin-corner-run-browns-clark#ixzz2Ck9Id1gZ
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:56 am

I really like the play Lewis is showing he is playing like a true corner. I was thinking we would have to draft a corner early in the upcoming draft but know I am thinking we can use that pick somewhere else. Like maybe a safety or a good pass rusher. Keep up the good work Lewis.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 am

coach Lake is doing a good job with the DBs.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 12:30 pm

effyou515 wrote:
Our secondary was consistently horrendous before Lake got there. It's been consistently good ever since. Lake doesn't get nowhere near the credit he deserves.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Actually they were excellent in 2008 with Bryant McFadden and William Gay splitting time opposite Ike. Top of the league.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:10 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
Actually they were excellent in 2008 with Bryant McFadden and William Gay splitting time opposite Ike. Top of the league.
Without looking it up, could that be because of the pressure we were consistently getting on quarterbacks? It's hard for a QB to find open receivers when he's running for his life every play.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
Our secondary was consistently horrendous before Lake got there. It's been consistently good ever since. Lake doesn't get nowhere near the credit he deserves.

If he can make William Gay into a player, he's a goddamned miracle worker. Lewis ready for attention  3798349058

Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:
Without looking it up, could that be because of the pressure we were consistently getting on quarterbacks? It's hard for a QB to find open receivers when he's running for his life every play.

That was certainly a factor, but the secondary did play great that season. McFadden was a damn good CB in his first stint with the team, actually. And Gay at the time was too young to know any better. Polamalu had 7 picks that year I believe, which helps.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:

That was certainly a factor, but the secondary did play great that season. McFadden was a damn good CB in his first stint with the team, actually. And Gay at the time was too young to know any better. Polamalu had 7 picks that year I believe, which helps.
McFadden didn't play well in Arizona. And he didn't play well when he returned to the Steelers. Did he suddenly forget how to play? Or was his mediocrity during his first stint masked by our consistently good pass rush?

That's what's impressive about our secondary right now ... we're not getting any pass rush, yet teams aren't throwing the ball all over the field on us.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
McFadden didn't play well in Arizona. And he didn't play well when he returned to the Steelers. Did he suddenly forget how to play? Or was his mediocrity during his first stint masked by our consistently good pass rush?

I'm leaning this way. Of course, I guess his injury could still be lingering from 2008 like "Cowboy" Bob Orton's broken arm. Lewis ready for attention  3798349058

Lewis ready for attention  Bob_orton_cast

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 5:52 pm

this secondary is playing with out Troy P. a first year starting corner and not much of a pass rush, thats what i'm talkin about.

coach lake damn good job.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 pm

McFadden broke his arm in 2008 and played through injuries and in a scheme not suited to his skill set in Arizona. No, McFadden was a good player. And he doesn't deserve near the crap that fans give him.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
McFadden broke his arm in 2008 and played through injuries and in a scheme not suited to his skill set in Arizona. No, McFadden was a good player. And he doesn't deserve near the crap that fans give him.

Really? Two different teams used him incorrectly? I don't see him making any Pro Bowls with any other teams right now either. He had one good year and was a beneficiary of a great pass rush defense and system that helped him. If he's so good why isn't he starting elsewhere right now?

Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:45 pm

I said he was a good player. And he had more than one good year. If you think McFadden had nothing to do with the strong secondary in the 2008 season, then you're just flat out wrong.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:53 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
I said he was a good player. And he had more than one good year. If you think McFadden had nothing to do with the strong secondary in the 2008 season, then you're just flat out wrong.

And I feel that if you think McFadden was a good player you are flat out wrong. If he was a good player he'd still be in the league. I guess 32 NFL team owners agree with me. Lewis ready for attention  2087824411

If you're saying he's a good football player, obviously that's correct since he made it to the NFL, but if you're saying he's a good NFL football player as a career body of work I'd say you're crazy.

I also never said he had nothing to do with the strong secondary in 2008. He was competent enough to make some plays and not do anything stupid with a dominant front 7 in front of him. That hardly makes him a great player, just a player who worked well in a system/scheme for a couple of years. Since then, he's been toast on two different teams bad enough to not warrant any roster spot with 30 other NFL teams.

Mark my words, Keenan Lewis will be 3 times the NFL player McFadden was... at least.

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Does that mean than now we'll have a 50 men roster + Lewis x 3 Fuck Lewis ready for attention  2913999526

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Again, I said he WAS...WAS a good player. And then he became mediocre. And that's why he's unemployed now. There's a good chance the Steelers don't make the Super Bowl in '05 without McFadden.

Lewis ready for attention  Mcfadden_defends

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
Again, I said he WAS...WAS a good player. And then he became mediocre. And that's why he's unemployed now. There's a good chance the Steelers don't make the Super Bowl in '05 without McFadden.

Lewis ready for attention  Mcfadden_defends

And he fell into mediocrity for the better part of his short career and that's why he gets grief. His bad far outweighed his good and it fair to say that he wasn't really a good player for the bulk of his career.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
There's a good chance the Steelers don't make the Super Bowl in '05 without McFadden.
It's a good thing Manning under threw that pass.

Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:
There's a good chance the Steelers don't make the Super Bowl in '05 without McFadden.
It's a good thing Manning under threw that pass.

Yea agree but he did do a good job of defending that play. He did what he had to do to keep him from getting a touchdown.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 10:53 pm

Even Limas Sweed made a good play once.

Once. Lewis ready for attention  1797695198

Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Wallace108 wrote:

That was a Sweed play. Lewis ready for attention  1797695198

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 7:02 am

Wallace108 wrote:

Well then he WAS a good player too. Lewis ready for attention  2800024739

Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 1:28 am

I'm sorry, but you guys are clueless. McFadden deserves a lot more respect than he's given. Even in the 2010 season when he came back and the Steelers...you know...reached the Super Bowl...he allowed a high percentage of receptions, but his yards per target was still very respectable and he allowed minimal yards after catch. He also had 10 passes defensed and two interceptions and was strong in run support while adding two sacks and two forced fumbles. The only reason McFadden is gone now is because the team got younger by drafting new cornerbacks that proved their worth on special teams and McFadden's contract didn't justify not starting with the team's salary cap as it was. Is Keenan Lewis playing better than McFadden ever did? Probably, at least as good. But that's more of a compliment to Lewis than an admonishment of McFadden. And I normally don't say this, but this statement is flat out bullshit and ignorance, with a dash of selective memory: "His bad far outweighed his good and it fair to say that he wasn't really a good player for the bulk of his career."

Anyway, here's PFF paying Lewis some respect: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/21/analysis-notebook-week-11-2/
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 3:15 am

Dodens Grav wrote:
I'm sorry, but you guys are clueless.
You know that name calling and personal attacks are not welcome here. Attack the argument, not the poster.

Dodens Grav wrote:
The only reason McFadden is gone now is because the team got younger by drafting new cornerbacks that proved their worth on special teams and McFadden's contract didn't justify not starting with the team's salary cap as it was.
The reason he's gone is because he wasn't very good when they brought him back. They brought him back to replace William Gay, but they ended up giving the starting position back to Gay. McFadden got pushed out by a cornerback whom the Steelers didn't even make an attempt to re-sign last year. If McFadden was the player you think he was, they wouldn't have kept him on the bench in favor of William Gay. McFadden was a mediocre cornerback who played on a great defense. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not only did McFadden fall behind William Gay on the depth chart, he also fell behind a young and inexperienced Keenan Lewis:

Quote :
Mark Kaboly is reporting via Twitter this afternoon that Steelers cornerback William Gay will once again get the start this Sunday at left cornerback against the Houston Texans in place of Bryant McFadden. Keenan Lewis will come in at the outside spot in nickel packages and Gay will slide inside to the nickel cornerback spot as he has done the last several weeks. McFadden seems to have lost his spot altogether after being hampered all season by a hamstring injury. Kaboly stated that McFadden will not play at all so that could mean he will be inactive for a third straight week. According to the latest injury reports, McFadden practiced fully all last week and never showed up on any of the injury reports leading up to the Sunday night game against the Colts. He also was not listed on the Wednesday injury report released yesterday afternoon.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/william-gay-to-start-again-against-texans/

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lewis ready for attention    Lewis ready for attention  Empty

Back to top Go down

Lewis ready for attention
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next