Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMcLendon takes calm approach Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

McLendon takes calm approach

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

McLendon takes calm approach Empty
PostSubject: McLendon takes calm approach   McLendon takes calm approach EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

If Steve McLendon feels any pressure stepping in and replacing nose tackle Casey Hampton in the starting lineup this year, he sure isn’t showing it. Hampton, one of the best to play the position, wasn’t re-signed this offseason and McLendon is calm as can be as he prepares to take over the job.

“I am approaching things like I have every other year, to prepare as a starter, get better every day,” said McLendon. “Right now I just want to take it one day, one practice at a time and take the steps to get better as a player.”

McLendon, in his fourth season, worked throughout the offseason to prepare for his new role, making sure he is in top physical condition to handle the rigors of being an every down player if needed.

“Whatever they allow me to play, I will,” said McLendon. “I am willing to do anything to help this team win. I just have to do what the coaches ask of me. Whatever they ask, however many downs they want me to play, I have to listen and work hard. I have to play fast, play hard and play smart.”

Defensive end Ziggy Hood, who is McLendon’s roommate at camp and close friend, feels confident that he can get the job done.

READ MORE: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/McLendon-takes-calm-approach/30f7e855-6770-48d4-a4b9-91daf2f0457b

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: McLendon takes calm approach   McLendon takes calm approach EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 11:12 pm

I think Steve is going to do a fine job in training camp.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: McLendon takes calm approach   McLendon takes calm approach EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 12:27 am

Quote :
Steelers nose tackle keeps on his toes

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steve McLendon, who officially gained 40 pounds Monday, might not squeeze into a tutu, no matter the size. At 320 pounds, it would not be a pretty sight, either.

Yet, he has those dance moves down, even if he does not wear the costume. Ballet may be a non-contact sport, and there are no 340-pound offensive linemen to engage, but "it's harder than anything else I do," McLendon proclaimed.

McLendon began taking a ballet class his senior year at Troy University in Alabama to pick up what he thought might be a few easy credits. There was nothing easy about it for the biggest and only male dancer in a class of about a dozen. But his instructor kept telling him it would help him in football, and he discovered she was correct.

He has been taking lessons, on and off, ever since, pirouetting to the Adrenaline Barre Fitness studio on Mount Washington as often as twice a week. His instructor the past four years has been Stephanie Kibler.

"I work him harder than the majority of women will ever work in a ballet setting," Kibler said. "He does it well. He might have sweat dripping off him and looking at me like I'm crazy, but he does it. He really works hard. It's almost like he's mastering the craft of ballet. He's not in there just for football."

McLendon cut back on his lessons last season but says he wants to renew them soon. When not in the dance studio, he could still be found practicing his moves.

"I still do some of the same things, the Plié, walking barefoot on your toes," McLendon explained. "I just walk barefoot doing the lateral."

Not only did he find it helps his dexterity in the middle of the defensive line, but it wards off injuries.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-nose-tackle-keeps-on-his-toes-697369/#ixzz2aV2sNKRl

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McLendon takes calm approach   McLendon takes calm approach Empty

Back to top Go down

McLendon takes calm approach
Page 1 of 1