Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIs this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?

Go down 
+32
solardave
Steeler-in-west
Wallace108
vasteeler
HeinzMustard
IowaSteeler927
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Stella Nation
BlackAndGold
SteelCityUnderground
Lokki
tony hipchest
SteelersYak
kirklandrules
Atlanta Dan
FrancoLambert
jak341
Steeler Zach
Fire Arians
Pappy
SteelersNorth
steelcrazy
effyou515
harrison'samonster
El-Gonzo Jackson
DesertSteel
teegre
Buddha Bus
stlrtruck
ImperialFan
LambertLunatic
Hawaii 5-0
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 2:32 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Jones drilling the ball to Jesse James in the seam on 3rd and long and threading the needle to Shakim Philips (who dropped the pass) or rolling left and tossing a dart to Sammie Coates on the sideline in the Jags game...are all throws that I have never seen Gradkowski make in his career.  Most of this was done by dodging defenders that could not be blocked by Mitchell Van Dyk, Miles Diefenbach, Reese Dismukes or Kevin Palmer.

Even Villanueva is a newbie at LT and missed a block or two against the Jags. I think Jones would be effective at best with the starting offense. He's not going to put up Ben numbers but he hasn't folded to pressure and is unfairly being called a "bum" when he's basically playing with other "bums" so to speak.

http://steelcityunderground.com
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 2:50 pm

SteelersNorth wrote:
But I think I'm more blown away by the fact people would rather someone who's been given all the chances in the world in Jones and done nothing to prove otherwise (especially this preseason) and ditch Gradkowski who at one point in time was a STARTER! Anyone remember the '09 game against the Raiders? anyone Buler, Buler, Buler... ... ...

I think you're overestimating how much opportunity Jones has been given to prove himself. The only way to get better is to get playing time. Until this preseason, how much game time has Jones seen? He's never played in a regular-season game, and the past two preseasons, Gradkowski has gotten all the meaningful playing time in preseason games. Jones came in to work with guys who wouldn't even be on the team in a few weeks. The past two games is the first time Jones has been given a good opportunity to prove himself. While far from spectacular, I think he has done well considering he's working with other backup players and how bad he looked in limited action the past two preseasons.

As for Gradkowski, yes he was a starter at one point. But so was Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow. And while it's true that the Steelers made Gradkowski look like Joe Montanta when he was with the Raiders, they have a track record of doing that at times. Remember what our defense allowed Tampa Bay's Mike Glennon to do last season?

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
And while it's true that the Steelers made Gradkowski look like Joe Montanta when he was with the Raiders, they have a track record of doing that at times.

Name a Raider QB, any Raider! Gradkowski, but also Carson Palmer's limited time there and hell, even Terrelle Pryor beat us. I dread seeing Oakland on the schedule. It's like the team shuts down that day.

BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Jones is fine and he is doing well for what he's working with.

If he lined up with the starters with Bell in the backfield I bet he'd look better.

Kinda like El-Gonzo said I believe he'll be the future #2 QB for this team, And I wouldn't be shocked if Tyler Murphy is the #3 next season as a QB/WR(he'll go to the PS this year Imo)

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 10:49 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
Jones is fine and he is doing well for what he's working with.

If he lined up with the starters with Bell in the backfield I bet he'd look better.

Kinda like El-Gonzo said I believe he'll be the future #2 QB for this team, And I wouldn't be shocked if Tyler Murphy is the #3 next season as a QB/WR(he'll go to the PS this year Imo)

I like Murphy as a slot receiver. He is showing some skill there. As a QB, he wasn't impressive at throwing the football at BC as much as with his legs....so maybe the emergency QB and #6 WR next season.

I honestly thought that there are at least 50 college QB's last year that were better than Murphy. Can think of at least 10 in the Big 10 alone that were better than Murphy. Unless we play the Maine Black Bears, I really don't ever want to see Murphy behind center.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 11:15 pm

As for Gradkowski, yes he was a starter at one point. But so was Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow. And while it's true that the Steelers made Gradkowski look like Joe Montanta when he was with the Raiders, they have a track record of doing that at times. Remember what our defense allowed Tampa Bay's Mike Glennon to do last season?[/quote]

Yes, the Steelers tend to play down to inferior teams.
Keeping Jones is a wasted roster spot in the end. I just know he'll still be here no matter what it seems.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 11:16 pm

SteelersNorth wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

I'm saying, as a backup next season, I would rather have 4th year pro Landry Jones and his ability in 2016 than 33 year old never been Bruce Gradkowski at age 33.

but remember all those games gradkowski played in relief of ben and was awesome?

yeah, me neither.  Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 1401235891

Yeah, we've been lucky Ben's been as healthy as an Ox the last 2 seasons or to be precise the last 37 games (final 4 of '12 all of '13 & '14 plus the playoff game)

But I think I'm more blown away by the fact people would rather someone who's been given all the chances in the world in Jones and done nothing to prove otherwise (especially this preseason) and ditch Gradkowski who at one point in time was a STARTER! Anyone remember the '09 game against the Raiders? anyone Buler, Buler, Buler... ... ...

Go back a few years when we were stuck with that bum Leftwich; I'd of taken Chuck Batch in a heartbeat before I'd take that guy because he knows what he's doing. Much like now, where Gradkowski is the #2 until Ben retires or at least as long as he wants to stay here.

edit - I can't believe I made this thread hit the 9th page lol
Charlie Batch was always third string quarterback behind Brittle l Byron Leftwich

. .
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 7:28 am

tony hipchest wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

I'm saying, as a backup next season, I would rather have 4th year pro Landry Jones and his ability in 2016 than 33 year old never been Bruce Gradkowski at age 33.

but remember all those games gradkowski played in relief of ben and was awesome?

yeah, me neither.  Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 1401235891

Yeah, we've been lucky Ben's been as healthy as an Ox the last 2 seasons or to be precise the last 37 games (final 4 of '12 all of '13 & '14 plus the playoff game)

Go back a few years when we were stuck with that bum Leftwich; I'd of taken Chuck Batch in a heartbeat before I'd take that guy because he knows what he's doing. Much like now, where Gradkowski is the #2 until Ben retires or at least as long as he wants to stay here.

edit - I can't believe I made this thread hit the 9th page lol
Charlie Batch was always third string quarterback behind Brittle l Byron Leftwich

Batch always seemed to have bad luck with injuries. But when healthy he got the job done and more often than not got the win.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 2:24 am

Comment From Scott from Erie:

Ed, you mentioned in your blog this morning that you believe Landry Jones has done enough to hold onto his 3rd QB spot. Do you believe this is based more on his game performance or what you've seen in practice?

Ed Bouchette: Both. I think he has improved enough to make the team. I would not go purely by his preseason stats. Just watching him play, he shows poise, a good arm, good timing, passes on the money, etc. It's not his fault his receivers let him down in those two games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/chat
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 10:10 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Comment From Scott from Erie:

Ed, you mentioned in your blog this morning that you believe Landry Jones has done enough to hold onto his 3rd QB spot. Do you believe this is based more on his game performance or what you've seen in practice?

Ed Bouchette: Both. I think he has improved enough to make the team. I would not go purely by his preseason stats. Just watching him play, he shows poise, a good arm, good timing, passes on the money, etc. It's not his fault his receivers let him down in those two games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/chat

BLASPHEMY!! How dare Boushitt imply that WR's dropped passes and made Landry Jones look bad to the stat-monkeys. Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 2672159185 Did he not read the blogs from 3 months ago that Boyd, Gardner and Murphy were going to be the next X-Factor QB or Slash type player for the Steelers??? Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 1072540953

Its been 3 months, so Buddah, I am officially "grumpystooling" the post on page 2. Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 2761542443
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 12:32 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Its been 3 months, so Buddah, I am officially "grumpystooling" the post on page 2.  Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 2761542443
i just picked up my fresh harvest, fire roasted, NM Hatch hot green green chile, 25 lb burlap sack yesterday, so i will officially be "grumpystooling" for the next 3 months. Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 2306309830

. .
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 3:09 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Its been 3 months, so Buddah, I am officially "grumpystooling" the post on page 2.  Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 2761542443
i just picked up my fresh harvest, fire roasted, NM Hatch hot green green chile, 25 lb burlap sack yesterday, so i will officially be "grumpystooling" for the next 3 months. Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 2306309830

Ah-ha Tony.....that also explains the source of your fiery personality. Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 1797695198
I knew it didn't happen only because of some fiery DNA.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Grumpy Stool???? LOL

Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 5:09 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Not sure I needed to know you'll be having the hot squirts for the next 3 months, Tony, but it does sound like a "grumpystool" to me. Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 3798349058

"Grumpystool" away, El-Gonzo. Somebody's gotta pick up the slack. What would we all do without internet trolls to call us out on an old post years/months after the fact? Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 2087824411  

As for me, I'm thinking about sitting in my ConniptionCouch and busting somebody's balls from a few years ago saying they were glad we drafted Jasom Worilddledeedees. He's really turned out swell, huh?!? DAMN YOU COLBERT FOR NOT BEING A CLAIRVOYANT!!!!!Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 2625562446

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 9:29 pm

It's like sitting on a fire hose with rocket propulsion jet fuel bro.

So anyways today on trib live radio, Kevin Kolbert all but said the team will be keeping three quarterbacks and Landry Jones has shown enough improvement to be the third

. .
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 3:58 pm

So is this Landry Jones final Season or what??
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 7:48 pm

I'd say no at this point in time.

I think he improved enough to prove he could be a decent #2.

But I can't envision being a serious contender with him at the helm after (gulp) Ben.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 7:53 pm

I will admit Landry looked a lot better this year than I have ever seen him in the past.

I would feel better with vick there instead of him for now. Hopefully we dont have to worry about replacing Ben but I could see Vick taking us to the playoffs if something DID happen to Ben, because of the weapons surrounding him, but thats pure speculation at this point

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 12:18 am

ImperialFan wrote:
I will admit Landry looked a lot better this year than I have ever seen him in the past.

I would feel better with vick there instead of him for now. Hopefully we dont have to worry about replacing Ben but I could see Vick taking us to the playoffs if something DID happen to Ben, because of the weapons surrounding him, but thats pure speculation at this point

I agree. Right now I want Vick as the #2. More experience.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 10:20 pm

Steelers Injury Report Week 1: Landry Jones Out With A Concussion

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-injury-report-week-1-landry-jones-only-player-listed-monday/
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 pm

SteelersNorth wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can justify keep Jones around as the 3rd QB.
The Steelers extended Batch numerous times and I expect the same now with Gradkowski because he's servicable; and perfect to fill in for a max of 3 games.

Because they want to have somebody around next year when the 33 yr old Gradkowski isn't likely here to back up.  They could try and leave Jones on the practice squad and unprotected, but that didn't work out so well for Josh Mauro or Nick Williams last year.

So you're saying you'd rather Jones than Gradkowski at 33?
I'm going out on a limb here and Gradkowski does more this weekend in 2-3 series than Jones has this preseason.
There's no point in keeping Jones as the 3rd qb let alone the practice squad. It's a wasted spot where you could keep someone of value or who could have higher upside.
I never get tired of being correct. Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 1401235891
Back to top Go down
Stairway2-7
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 10:54 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

a fellow new mexican aye? nice...glad to see im not the only one lol
Back to top Go down
marvology
Xtreme Newb
marvology

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 11:49 pm

I'm Kansas Stater and this is the Landry Jones I thought we got when we signed him. I thought he'd walk away with the #2 spot his first year. Took him a LONG time too get here and apparently the coaches didn't trust him either, but looks like he's arrived. I can see him getting an offer to start somewhere if we'll release him assuming he starts next week.

http://www.marvbook.com
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 12:08 am

Stairway2-7 wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

a fellow new mexican aye? nice...glad to see im not the only one lol

No you're not Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 2000130356 Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 1797695198
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 12:38 am

marvology wrote:
I'm Kansas Stater and this is the Landry Jones I thought we got when we signed him.  I thought he'd walk away with the #2 spot his first year.  Took him a LONG time too get here and apparently the coaches didn't trust him either, but looks like he's arrived.  I can see him getting an offer to start somewhere if we'll release him assuming he starts next week.

In College, QB's throw to open WR's....but in the NFL, they need to learn to throw to tight windows. Jones looked shaky under center and inconsistent in his mechanics at the Senior Bowl and that has translated to his taking some time to develop IMO.

Jones is by no means a finished product, but he showed this preseason that he can make some NFL throws, but still showed he gets sloppy in his footwork and mechanics...so overthrows and underthrows open WR's. I think the best we can hope for right now is that he can help win a couple more games before Ben comes back, but becomes the #2 next season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?   Is this Landry Jones' Final Season? - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this Landry Jones' Final Season?
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next