Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWexell: On The Brink Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Wexell: On The Brink

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Wexell: On The Brink Empty
PostSubject: Wexell: On The Brink   Wexell: On The Brink EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 9:04 pm

On The Brink

Jul 19, 2015
Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

Wexell: On The Brink 1555770

No one watched more spring football than SCI.net's Jim Wexell. Here's his Steelers breakdown one week before the start of training camp:

Mike Tomlin is adamant that no one -- fans, media, players (especially players) -- should pay attention to the reps anyone receives at whatever position during spring practice.

The coaches have varying reasons for handing out reps, and Tomlin reminds players that in the spring none of that affects what we'll see in training camp.

That said, I'm breaking down the team's depth chart as I see it after watching the Steelers work every day this past spring. Here's how they're set heading into the start of training camp on Sunday:

QUARTERBACK - After Ben Roethlisberger and Bruce Gradkowski, it's still Landry Jones alternating poor decisions, poor passes and beautiful spirals as the third-teamer. This is his third year and coaching patience is wearing thin. Tajh Boyd didn't take advantage of Jones' inconsistent play, and two undrafted rookie QB/WR "slashes," Tyler Murphy and Devin Gardner, played QB as poorly as should've been expected and brought up this question: Is Tomlin trying to find a "slash" to run his two-point plays? If so, yikes.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1564753-on-the-brink
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Wexell: On The Brink   Wexell: On The Brink EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 5:15 pm

SCB Steelers 2015 Training Camp Battle Report: Defensive Backs

July 20, 2015

Wexell: On The Brink Mitchell

We know what the expectations of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offense will be this coming season and we have a decent idea of what the front seven can provide. If this team is going advance to the playoffs and beyond however, it’s the secondary that may in fact determine this team’s fate.

Today we look at the cornerbacks and safeties and who will emerge and who won’t to make the Steelers’ roster.

Starting Cornerbacks/Safeties: William Gay, Cortez Allen, Senquez Golson, Mike Mitchell, Shamarko Thomas

I’m using three guys here because of how the Steelers and other teams today are in nickel and dime coverage.

Gay enters as the best overall corner on the team and I admit he’s come a long way in the last several years. The problem is that he can’t be the team’s “number one” guy. Someone has to emerge not just for this season but for the future as well.

Allen is an absolute wild-card. After getting a big contract, he severely disappointed last year to the point where he was benched and then ultimately was injured. If he can’t get his mind together then he might not see the field again.

I’m going to go with Golson here simply because of his penchant for getting to the ball. I can just as easily see Antwon Blake being in this spot or even one of the two top spots.

As far as safeties go, Mitchell must be healthy and must have a better year than he did last season. We’ll give him somewhat of a pass because of the groin injury that haunted him all of last year but even that’s a stretch. Either way, he must be better.

The Steelers traded up to get Shamarko Thomas and with the retirement of Troy Polamalu, the job is his to lose. The work ethic and the effort is not the question. His health and ability to pick up the defense are what worries the staff and the fans. We’ll bank on him stepping up.

Reserve Cornerbacks/Safeties: Antwon Blake, Doran Grant, B.W. Webb, Alden Darby, Isaiah Lewis

to read rest of article:

http://steelcityblitz.com/2015/07/20/scb-steelers-2015-training-camp-battle-report-defensive-backs/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Wexell: On The Brink   Wexell: On The Brink EmptyThu Jul 23, 2015 2:15 pm

2015 Steelers 53 Man Roster Prediction: Pre-Training Camp Edition

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/07/2015-steelers-53-man-roster-prediction-pre-training-camp-edition/
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Wexell: On The Brink   Wexell: On The Brink EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 11:48 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/07/2015-steelers-53-man-roster-prediction-pre-training-camp-edition/

i agree with the majority, but he made a horrible mistake and predicted mike adams to make the 53 man roster. confused

. .
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Wexell: On The Brink   Wexell: On The Brink EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:52 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

i agree with the majority, but he made a horrible mistake and predicted mike adams to make the 53 man roster.  confused

Obviously, but he used his hater bias to jettison Cam Thomas from the 53 and stated his bias of not keeping Landry Jones. I think he's sandbagging with Adams because we know he is doubtful to make the roster after getting steamrolled by Brad Wing on the way to the Gatorade table.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wexell: On The Brink   Wexell: On The Brink Empty

Back to top Go down

Wexell: On The Brink
Page 1 of 1