Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeCoach Tomlin - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Coach Tomlin

Go down 
+12
Buddha Bus
SteelCity4Life
DesertSteel
SteelersCanada
Hawaii 5-0
SteelerFreak58
FrancoLambert
Rhyno
pczach
El-Gonzo Jackson
Steel Peon
TESS743
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

Coach Tomlin - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coach Tomlin   Coach Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 10:46 am

Steel Peon wrote:
SteelersCanada wrote:
The Steelers have drafted better offensively under Mike than they ever did under Cowher, but it's a moot point because neither make the selections.

Wrong, and wrong. There are quotes from the not-so-distant past that I could dig up, but this article tells the story nicely.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/05/final-say-draft-picks-process-collaboration-steelers-says-bill-cowher/
and this tweet: https://twitter.com/edbouchette/status/412998535202631680

Bouchette has said in his Q&A sessions that Tomlin "Has just as much to do with who is drafted as Colbert is, and maybe more so," so blame can be laid at Tomlin's feet even if dumb luck had anything to do with his (or his predecessor's) failures or successes.

As for Tomlin drafting better offensively then maybe you've forgotten about Ben, Heath, Hines, Santonio, Faneca, Andre Hastings,  and perhaps even Nate Washington and Willie Parker as undrafted signings. Compare that with Antonio, Bell, Pouncy, Wallace, Sanders, and Mendenhall, and I'd say you have a wash at best, with Cowher drafting the most instrumental offensive pieces we've had for the last 15 years. Did I miss anyone?

Once again, no one ever said that Tomlin did not have input into the draft picks. He absolutely does. Saying otherwise would be foolish. Does Tomlin have as much input as to who gets picked in the war room than Colbert? I very much doubt it. He does (and should) have the most input of anyone on the sidelines on Sunday's, but Colbert has the final say who gets selected.

It's a collaborative effort. The coordinators, assistants, scouts and front office personnel have input into the pick, but it boils down to Colbert making the selection.

As for the picks on offense: for starters, Cowher didn't want Roethlisberger. That's a wash. Moving on, Heath, Hines, Santonio, Faneca, Hastings and Washington don't come close to the talent currently on the roster.

Under Tomlin's tutelage, the Steelers have drafted the best receiver and running back in the team's history past the first round of the draft. Then, two Pro Bowl receivers were drafted in the third round of the draft, followed by the best zone blocking center in the league and one of the most dominant pulling guards in football.

If you're making me choose between the potential starting roster of Heath, Hines, Holmes and Washington vs. Brown, Bryant, Bell, Wheaton and, for arguments sake, newly-acquired TE James, it's the latter.

Cowher's ability to draft and develop defensive talent was better than Mike's. Tomlin's ability to draft and develop offensive talent is far better than Cowher's ever was. They both have their strengths, but it looks as if Tomlin has built one of the most explosive offenses in franchise history. Cowher never had anything close to that.

The talent at the skill positions currently is far better than anything Cowher was able to draft and develop offensively during his tenure with Pittsburgh. That being said, the way that Colbert and co. have been able to find and develop receiver talent mirrors the way Cowher and co. were able to find secondary talent past the first round of the draft. Again, they're different, but one was able to find defensive talent far better than the other, while one was able to put together the best offense in football.

If only we could put the two together.
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Coach Tomlin   Coach Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Steel Peon wrote:
Did I miss anyone?

Plaxico Burress, Yancy Thigpen, Eric Green, Bam Morris, and Antwan Randle-El.

Ah yes, I guess I could've included a few of these guys, especially Randle-El. I wanted to include Yancy but he was not drafted by the Steelers unfortunately, and was actually drafted by the Chargers in 1991.

Lokki wrote:
Steel Peon wrote:
Did I miss anyone?
Limas M F'in' Sweed!!

Coach Tomlin - Page 2 1797695198

SteelersCanada wrote:
I'm wrong but I want to argue anyways

And there's that.

PostSubject: Re: Coach Tomlin   Coach Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 2:11 pm

I think Tomlin has shown this year more than any other year that he does more than just win with Cowher's players. Not that I have ever believed that myself and I think there's one thing he never gets any credit for from the naysayers (starting Harrison), if Cowher had stayed, we probably would have kept Porter and had Joey ride in to retirement with us and don't get me wrong. I'll always love Peezy but Harrison in his prime was scary awesome in a way Joey never was. I also like what has been done with the defense so far. It looked shaky in presason and week one against the Pats* but I think we're starting to see Tomlin and Butler's vision for the D and it looks good going forward.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Coach Tomlin   Coach Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Fox Sports Writer Argues That Steelers Tomlin Is Coach Of The Year So Far

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/fox-sports-writer-argues-that-steelers-tomlin-is-coach-of-the-year-so-far/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Coach Tomlin   Coach Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Tomlin is a great coach I like the way he coaches, I've questioned a few play calls but he has balls and i respect that. I think a lot of his success is that he came into a successful organization, you cant tell me he could have taken the jags to the supbowl though.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Coach Tomlin   Coach Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 3:54 pm

from Jim Wexell:

Q: Where did the term "Standard is the standard" come from?

MT: "I don't know. I don't think a lot about the things that I say, to be honest with you. I'm just trying to use words that vividly capture the imagination of our guys so that they can remember the messages, so they can somehow be ingrained in their mind, so they can somehow make it come alive inside stadiums on the grass. By whatever means we get that done, I'm for it. If they're parroting the things that I say or we say, that means it's getting home. And that's what we see."

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1604079-roethlisberger-s-availability-not-in-question
Back to top Go down
marvology
Xtreme Newb
marvology

PostSubject: Re: Coach Tomlin   Coach Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Fox Sports Writer Argues That Steelers Tomlin Is Coach Of The Year So Far

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/fox-sports-writer-argues-that-steelers-tomlin-is-coach-of-the-year-so-far/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Bowles at the Jets if they keep it up or Campbell in Miami if they're even .500.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marvbook.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coach Tomlin   Coach Tomlin - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Coach Tomlin
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2