Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeCortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'

Go down 
+6
jak341
DesertSteel
El-Gonzo Jackson
Atlanta Dan
tony hipchest
Hawaii 5-0
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' Empty
PostSubject: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 2:03 am

Cortez Allen pointing to several 'Coach Tomlin questions'

By Neal Coolong

NFL teams are required to list participation reports after three practices leading into each week’s game. Steelers cornerback Cortez Allen has been listed as a full participant far less often than he’s been listed as having been limited, according to Tribune Review reporter Chris Adamski.

Officially, he’s listed as having a knee injury, the same one he got during the Steelers’ Week 1 loss to the Patriots*.

It’s peculiar that he’s bounced between participating fully and being limited so often over such a long stretch of time. As Adamski pointed out, this is the same Cortez Allen who was benched and placed on injured reserve last year. At least with that he had a tangible injury — a broken thumb that required surgery.

Similar sentiment comes out regarding Brandon Boykin and what’s amounting to be one of the least beneficial trades in recent memory. The Steelers appear set in their cornerback rotation of Will Gay, Antwon Blake and Ross Cockrell. But considering contracts and traded draft picks, the most expensive Steelers cornerbacks appear to need divine intervention to see the field.

Allen himself doesn’t appear to understand why he’s not playing, either.

Asked if he’s getting closer to being cleared to play, Allen responded, “That’s a Coach Tomlin question.”

Asked if it’s just taken a while to get over his knee injury, he said, after a five-second pause, “Ummmm, the situation is what it is. And… (4-second pause)… that’s just probably a question better answered by Coach Tomlin.”

Are you frustrated?

to read rest of article:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/10/23/steelers-cornerbacks-cortez-allen-injury-heath-status/
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 2:23 am

The reason he is not playing is because he can't go more than 3 plays without committing a penalty foul.

Every team knows this. He has a target on his back and is an automatic first down without even completing a pass.

Of course, and won't say this publicly, because it reflects poorly on himself and the team that decided to pay Allen millions.

. .
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 2:26 am

...And of course Cortez is not going to admit "i suck and I'm stealing money sitting on the bench".

. .
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 8:14 am

The Woodley contract is the worst signing of the Colbert/Tomlin era but the Cortez Allen deal is a strong #2.

At least with Woodley the Steelers lost $$$$ by signing a productive multi-year starter.

With Allen the Steelers simply panicked by signing a player with no strong track record but were frantic to sign a CB after Keenan Lewis walked.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 9:34 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
The Woodley contract is the worst signing of the Colbert/Tomlin era but the Cortez Allen deal is a strong #2.

At least with Woodley the Steelers lost $$$$ by signing a productive multi-year starter.

With Allen the Steelers simply panicked by signing a player with no strong track record but were frantic to sign a CB after Keenan Lewis walked.

Yes, they pretty much had to take a risk, because they had no other depth at the position. Kind of like when they franchise tagged Max Starks and paid him like a top 5 LT, or transition tagged Jasom Worilds and paid him $9million for some dong sacks. Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' 1505004552

I think its a good situation of CB depth right now. Although, I honestly think Boykin deserves to be on the field over Blake.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 10:03 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:

For the reasons you mentioned, I'd put the Allen contract as the worst.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 12:04 pm

Unless something radically changes, C. Allen is done as a Steeler. If he is even 90% healed and can't get on the field, officially label him as a bust.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Cortez has been put on IR.

I don't see him ever being in a Steelers uniform again.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 4:34 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
Cortez has been put on IR.

I don't see him ever being in a Steelers uniform again.

I'm afraid you are correct...

Steelers Sign QB Tyler Murphy Off Practice Squad, CB Cortez Allen Placed On IR

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/steelers-sign-qb-tyler-murphy-off-practice-squad-cb-cortez-allen-placed-on-ir/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Cortez Allen's Future With Steelers Now In Doubt

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/future-of-steelers-cb-cortez-allen-now-in-doubt/
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Non sequitur of the day in this tweet from Mark Kaboly of the Trib Review

The Steelers had a choice - sign Allen not really knowing what they were getting or do not sign him and risk him walking if he had a great year.

That panic move may have been the last straw for only allowing players who had been in the system for several years to see the field under LeBeau - hard to see how the alternative of picking someone up off the waiver wire (like Cockrell) could have worked out any worse - may explain why the Steelers did not throw money at any of the DBs for  along term contract before the start of this season even though there are a lot of DBs in the last year of their contracts
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 1:37 am

Four downs: Does CB Allen have a future with Steelers?

By The Tribune-Review
Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015

WHAT TO DO WITH CORTEZ?

Cortez Allen is the Steelers' highest-paid cornerback and fourth-highest paid player in terms of cap number. Not only can't he get on the field, but he also was placed on injured reserve Saturday, ending his season.

Allen spoke to the media last week with calculated responses to specific questions about his health and frustration of not playing. Translation: Allen is healthy enough to play, but the coaching staff doesn't trust him to be out there.

So what becomes of him after the season. Can the Steelers cut ties with him two years into his four-year extension worth $24.6 million? If the Steelers cut Allen before June 1, it would result in $4 million in dead money but a cap savings of $1.7 million. The Steelers could absorb that hit.

The issue is the Steelers don't have any cornerbacks under contract other than Allen and rookies Senquez Golson (IR) and Doran Grant (practice squad) for next season. William Gay, Antwon Blake, Ross Cockrell and Brandon Boykin are unrestricted free agents. That alone should ensure Allen will be around for another season.

ALLEN'S REMAINING CONTRACT

Year Salary Cap number

2016 $4.4M $5.75M

2017 $4.3M $5.65M

2018 $4.3M $5.65M

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9313376-74/steelers-allen-season#ixzz3pYTK7LP4
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 4:11 am

^^ What a depressing read Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' 2217377625

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 8:32 am

I guess the Citadel is not the place to go to when you are looking for NFL caliber CB's.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 9:32 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Four downs: Does CB Allen have a future with Steelers?

By The Tribune-Review
Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015

WHAT TO DO WITH CORTEZ?

Cortez Allen is the Steelers' highest-paid cornerback and fourth-highest paid player in terms of cap number. Not only can't he get on the field, but he also was placed on injured reserve Saturday, ending his season.

Allen spoke to the media last week with calculated responses to specific questions about his health and frustration of not playing. Translation: Allen is healthy enough to play, but the coaching staff doesn't trust him to be out there.

So what becomes of him after the season. Can the Steelers cut ties with him two years into his four-year extension worth $24.6 million? If the Steelers cut Allen before June 1, it would result in $4 million in dead money but a cap savings of $1.7 million. The Steelers could absorb that hit.

The issue is the Steelers don't have any cornerbacks under contract other than Allen and rookies Senquez Golson (IR) and Doran Grant (practice squad) for next season. William Gay, Antwon Blake, Ross Cockrell and Brandon Boykin are unrestricted free agents. That alone should ensure Allen will be around for another season.

ALLEN'S REMAINING CONTRACT

Year Salary Cap number

2016 $4.4M $5.75M

2017 $4.3M $5.65M

2018 $4.3M $5.65M

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9313376-74/steelers-allen-season#ixzz3pYTK7LP4

I would say look for the Steelers to sign Cockrell and one of either Boykin or Blake in the offseason. Gay could get a cap friendly 2 year or 3 year deal, bur remember he will be 31 next season and is nearing the end of his career.

Gholson has great quickness and ball skills and at the least I expect him to be a slot corner, more likely a guy that plays the boundary. Lots of people will complain that Doran Grant could not make the 53 and is a bust, but I tell you the kid has solid technique, is physical, can play man or zone and is an asset as a CB. The haters got all over Keenan Lewis early and I kept telling them he will be solid once he learns to play zone. Grant will earn a hat by playing special teams, but then get a chance if he keeps working.

I am not as down on the CB situation as this article. I personally think Boykin would be great to have long term, but not sure if somebody is going to offer him a good dollar and he will be gone. Personally I would like to see the Steelers sign Boykin, Cockrell, Gay and pair Grant and Gholson with them as the 5 going to camp next year if they are going to cut Allen.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 12:45 pm

Cortez Allen placed on IR in favor of Tyler Murphy emergency quarterback.

Damn.

2 years so far of a completely wasted contract.

. .
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 2:35 pm

The whole thing tells me the organization is really struggling evaluating secondary talent.
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 5:20 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
The whole thing tells me the organization is really struggling evaluating secondary talent.

Fire LeBeau! Oh, wait....

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 1:45 am

Cortez Allen’s Knee History Could Make Him NFL History Sooner Or Later

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/cortez-allens-knee-history-could-make-him-nfl-history-sooner-or-later/
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 8:21 am

Interesting article from Steelers Depot.

Makes you wonder if this knee injury was the reason he never seemed to take the next step.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 3:48 pm

Guest: Do you think Adams and Cortez are done as steelers?

Gerry Dulac: I think Cortez Allen is. You don't get benched twice and put on IR twice in two years and get a third try. Especially when he is scheduled to count $5.75 million against the cap in 2016. Even if they cut him, he will still count just slightly more than $4 million

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/28/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-10-28-15/stories/201510280178
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'   Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin' Empty

Back to top Go down

Cortez Allen says ask 'Coach Tomlin'
Page 1 of 1