Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer

Go down 
+30
PhantomJB93
Stryker
Stella Nation
Jazzo
WCSteeler
WVABE
JonM229
Steel Peon
jak341
FrancoLambert
HeinzMustard
Drizztbob
IowaSteeler927
solardave
Steeler-in-west
El-Gonzo Jackson
The_Joker
SteelerEmpire
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
SoCalFan
tony hipchest
BlackAndGold
Atlanta Dan
pczach
ImperialFan
Fire Arians
Lokki
lotas
SteelersCanada
Hawaii 5-0
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Dan

Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 06, 2015 10:26 pm

If the Colts score let's see who returns kick offs - Wheaton!
Back to top Go down
SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Jacoby is about to get Jones'ed

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 1:14 am

I still want to see Brandon Boykin returning. I think he's the best non-AB return man on the roster. Maybe now that the coaching vendetta against him seems to be ending he'll get a shot there.
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 1:36 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
I still want to see Brandon Boykin returning.  I think he's the best non-AB return man on the roster.  Maybe now that the coaching vendetta against him seems to be ending he'll get a shot there.

Because Boykin's 1 punt return ever (for 7 yards) back in 2013 says he can do it.
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 1:46 am

rellimie wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:
I still want to see Brandon Boykin returning.  I think he's the best non-AB return man on the roster.  Maybe now that the coaching vendetta against him seems to be ending he'll get a shot there.

Because Boykin's 1 punt return ever (for 7 yards) back in 2013 says he can do it.  

He returned 45 kickoffs with a lot of success that same year and was a very good punt and kick returner at Georgia only 4 years ago.

He's not Devin Hester but he's a better return option than anybody else on the roster.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 1:48 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
rellimie wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:

He returned 45 kickoffs with a lot of success that same year and was a very good punt and kick returner at Georgia only 4 years ago.

He's not Devin Hester but he's a better return option than anybody else on the roster.

oh snap

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 6:52 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
rellimie wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:

I'm aware that he returned kickoffs.  Kickoff and punt returns are not the same.  Punt returns are infinitely more difficult.  

I think we can all agree that just because you did it in college does not mean you can do it in the NFL. A lot of players did things in college that they can't do in the NFL.

I'm not saying he can't but just assuming he is the best on the team seems a bit presumptuous when he has never done it at this level.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 8:55 am

It's time to shut up about Jacoby Jones...
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 11:41 am

In his limited action this year he probably still leads the NFL in fumbles. Enough's enough already cut his ass. I'd rather see Brown return punts than see Jones in a Steeler uniform.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
In his limited action this year he probably still leads the NFL in fumbles. Enough's enough already cut his ass. I'd rather see Brown return punts than see Jones in a Steeler uniform.

I don't get the lack of consistency. We have a CB that probably leads the NFL in missed tackles, targets, receptions allowed and plays sub-standard for 10 games, yet we are going to cut a returner for 4 games of crappy play??

I like your idea....I think Tomlin should let Jacoby rebound this week. Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 2800024739
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 12:35 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

I don't get the lack of consistency.  We have a CB that probably leads the NFL in missed tackles, targets, receptions allowed and plays sub-standard for 10 games, yet we are going to cut a returner for 4 games of crappy play??

I like your idea....I think Tomlin should let Jacoby rebound this week.  Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 2800024739

Well I can understand it a little bit, behind Jones you have a pro-bowl level returner in Brown. Behind Blake is not much else, other than Boykin who's a bit unproven and the rookie Grant.

Still though I liked Boykin getting more play time, 1 INT and 2 passes defensed is a good start. Though I could see why he doesn't play outside, his tackling is really suspect. Not sure I'd count on him to tackle the catch against big wr's, he looked like he was scared to tackle Gore.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

I don't get the lack of consistency.  We have a CB that probably leads the NFL in missed tackles, targets, receptions allowed and plays sub-standard for 10 games, yet we are going to cut a returner for 4 games of crappy play??

I like your idea....I think Tomlin should let Jacoby rebound this week.  Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 2800024739

Well I can understand it a little bit, behind Jones you have a pro-bowl level returner in Brown. Behind Blake is not much else, other than Boykin who's a bit unproven and the rookie Grant.

Still though I liked Boykin getting more play time, 1 INT and 2 passes defensed is a good start. Though I could see why he doesn't play outside, his tackling is really suspect. Not sure I'd count on him to tackle the catch against big wr's, he looked like he was scared to tackle Gore.

#41 has missed 28 tackles this season.

...and you think Boykin's tackling is suspect?? I say we just give them all a chance to rebound in the kicking game this week. Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 1549491426
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 1:14 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

#41 has missed 28 tackles this season.  

...and you think Boykin's tackling is suspect??    I say we just give them all a chance to rebound in the kicking game this week.   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 1549491426

I know what you mean, but I saw him in perfect position to tackle frank gore and he just duck and swiped, resulting in a whiff and an extra 10 or so yards that gore gained. He looked like he absolutely wanted no piece of Frank Gore. If Boykin played outside he might have a similar # of missed tackles.

With that said his coverage skills are infinitely better than Blake's though, but Blake is the more physical out of the two, which could be why the coaching staff felt better with him outside. Not the most reliable tackler, but at least he's willing to do it.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 1:47 am

Mike Tomlin says Jacoby Jones is “done”

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 6, 2015

Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 Tomlin-e1442772482143

Mike Tomlin might have had to trip Jacoby Jones.

Instead, he just benched him.

Tomlin told NBC’s Michele Tafoya that Jones was “done” for the night after he coughed up a pair of kicks in the first half.

Jones was once one of the game’s most dynamic return men, which caused teams to come up with unique ways to slow him down.

But Jones was available to the Steelers for a reason, as the Chargers decided he wasn’t worth keeping around with his negative punt return average (minus-0.8 per return).

He might never get another chance with the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/06/mike-tomlin-says-jacoby-jones-is-done/related/
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 3:16 am

Kick Jones to the curb. How many times has he put the ball on the ground now, like 4 or 5 times? I'm not suggesting we bring back Archer at all, but at least Archer didn't put the football on the ground. Jones' mistakes could have been costlier if they had occurred against a higher quality opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 6:42 am

I can't believe Jones has been this bad.

I was in favor of letting Archer go, and thought giving Jones a second chance here was a good move.

Wow, was I wrong about Jones. What was I thinking??? Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 1883569342

There must be a good return man laying around on the street somewhere.

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 7:02 am

pczach wrote:

I was in favor of letting Archer go, and thought giving Jones a second chance here was a good move.

Wow, was I wrong about Jones. What was I thinking???  Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 1883569342  

I say we just let Wheaton/AB do the return duties and be done with it. They can find someone else next year.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
The_Joker

The_Joker

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 9:58 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
pczach wrote:

Wow, was I wrong about Jones. What was I thinking???  Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 1883569342  

I say we just let Wheaton/AB do the return duties and be done with it. They can find someone else next year.

Def Wheaton. Why risk your superstar on punt returns?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 10:40 am

The_Joker wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
pczach wrote:

Because of the payoff. I remember a couple games against the Ravens where Santonio Holmes made a big play on special teams that swung the game in our favor. Games we probably would have lost if not for a big punt return by our star WR.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 1:16 pm

Quote :
The Jacoby Jones project lasted a mere four games before a change was made.

After fumbling both a kickoff and punt return in Pittsburgh's win over Indianapolis, Jones has been demoted as the Steelers' primary kickoff and punt returner. Markus Wheaton will serve as the team's top kickoff returner, while Antonio Brown will reprise his former role as the team's primary punt returner.

Full article HERE

If he isn't returning any kicks, why still have him on the roster, unless he is inactive? We don't use him in the passing game.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 1:28 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
The_Joker wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
pczach wrote:

Because of the payoff. I remember a couple games against the Ravens where Santonio Holmes made a big play on special teams that swung the game in our favor. Games we probably would have lost if not for a big punt return by our star WR.

Right on! In crunch time, you want your best players touching the ball. The Steelers can't afford to lose another game, especially because a second rate returner fumbles.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 2:54 pm

Jacoby Jones demoted from KR and PR duties by Steelers, not released

By Jeff.Hartman and Dani Bostick on Dec 8, 2015

The Pittsburgh Steelers adjusted their depth chart following Jacoby Jones' two fumbles against the Colts in Week 12. What was surprising is Jones wasn't given his outright release.

Once upon a time, Jacoby Jones was a Baltimore Raven, running down the sidelines towards the endzone as Mike Tomlin looked at the jumbotron in disbelief. When Dri Archer was released earlier in the season, Jacoby Jones became a Pittsburgh Steeler, after a stint with the San Diego Chargers.

On Sunday night, Jones appeared to have oiled his hands, fumbling twice. It wasn't the first time Jones struggled. In other games as a Steeler he either fumbled or appeared dangerously close to fumbling. His best plays were the ones where he simply held onto the ball.

After his wretched performance on Sunday evening, it seemed almost a guarantee that the beleaguered, butterfingered kick returner would be sent packing. After all, he has become the returner version of placekicker Josh Scobee. When he hits the field, fans cross their fingers, hold their breath, and wince in anticipation of an avoidable catastrophe.

Instead, as Bob Labriola reported via Twitter on Tuesday, Jacoby Jones was merely demoted. Markus Wheaton and Antonio Brown are now at the top of the depth chart for kick returns and punt returns.

Jones is taking up space on the roster at a time when, though it is Week 14, the team is struggling to forge an identity in the secondary and have suffered a spate of injuries so extensive at times it appears the team was cursed.

Does Jones really deserve a spot on the roster? It is hard to imagine the Steelers rationale for keeping him on the team after he has proven to be a liability rather than an asset.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/12/8/9871244/jacoby-jones-demoted-from-kr-and-pr-duties-by-steelers-not-released

Last edited by Hawaii 5-0 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Lokki wrote:
Quote :

After fumbling both a kickoff and punt return in Pittsburgh's win over Indianapolis, Jones has been demoted as the Steelers' primary kickoff and punt returner. Markus Wheaton will serve as the team's top kickoff returner, while Antonio Brown will reprise his former role as the team's primary punt returner.

Full article HERE

If he isn't returning any kicks, why still have him on the roster, unless he is inactive?  We don't use him in the passing game.  

Maybe he should be used in the passing game

Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 Jacoby-jones-hail-mary

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 3:05 pm

No, if he can't catch a punt I dont trust him catching a pass. We have 3 great receivers and don't need jones sabotaging this team any more.

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 4:14 pm

JonM229 wrote:
Lokki wrote:
Quote :

Full article HERE

If he isn't returning any kicks, why still have him on the roster, unless he is inactive?  We don't use him in the passing game.  

Maybe he should be used in the passing game

Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 Jacoby-jones-hail-mary

He's not nearly that fast anymore. Besides who do you take off the field when you have Brown, Wheaton, and Bryant. No thanks.. Heck I'd even put DHB in there over him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer   Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones, Release Dri Archer
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next