Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMost memorable game Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Most memorable game

Go down 
+10
pczach
Atlanta Dan
SteelersNorth
FrancoLambert
Fire Arians
SteelersYak
SoCalFan
Wallace108
ImperialFan
solardave
14 posters
AuthorMessage
solardave

solardave

Most memorable game Empty
PostSubject: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 5:51 am

This one is easy for me. I"ve brought it up on here a few times.It's the 2009 AFC championship game against the Ravens.
My brother had tickets and we went ot the game.
The defense kept Flacco in check all game. Ben was like a street kid playing on a lot.

Key moments:
65 yd touchdown pass to Holmes.
Troy's int (talk about crowd noise) and the way he weaved his way into the endzone.
Clark's hit on McGahee. Not because of the hit but the genuine respect and concern. The entire stadium was quiet until they put him on the stretcher. Then he got the relief applause from our fans. That made me proud to be a fan.

There was a guy and girl behind us. He had on a Ravens shirt and she wore a Steelers one. After talking to them we learned that she grew up in the "Burgh" and now lived with him in Baltimore. When Troy scored on the INT my brother turned around to give her a high five and she planted one on his lips. The look on her boyfriends face was priceless. I sometimes wonder if she just called her family to come get her after that. Most memorable game 1797695198

I left right after the game to drive back here to Kentucky. I stopped in a convenience store to get a coffee for the ride back and started talking to the people in the store about the game. I got to tell you I was higher (naturally) than 2 hippies in a helicopter.
About 10 miles down the road I realized I'd walked out of the store without paying for my coffee. I drove down 79 through W.Virgina in a snow storm and it took about 12 hours to get home. It's normally a 6.5 hour drive. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but this time I'd pay for the coffee.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Superbowl 43 vs the cardinals.

Key moments
Harrisons 100 yard interception return for TD to end the first half (The Immaculate Interception)
Fitzgeralds reception and ensuing touchdown catch to put the cardinals up with approx 2 minutes left
Bens Houdini act dodging tackles and driving the ball down the field in the final couple minutes (the drive)
Santonio Holmes fade route catch and toe tip for game winning touchdown.

Watching the highlights on youtube still gives me chills!

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 1:36 pm

I've been a Steelers fan since 1980, so there are a lot of memorable games. But the one that always stands out to me for personal reasons is the Steelers-Cardinals Super Bowl. I've told this story before, but I guess I'll share it again ...

My wife always hated football. I tried and tried to get her to watch games with me, but the only game she ever watched was the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl ... and that was only because we watched the game with some friends, whose wives are Steelers fans and also watched the game, so she had no choice.

A couple years after The Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl, she told me she wanted a new winter coat. I jokingly told her I'd only buy her a Steelers coat. And to my utter shock, she said OK. After wearing the coat to work that winter, some of her co-workers, who are Browns fans, starting giving her grief. She asked me to give her some things she could say to burn them. And that was the beginning of her Steelers education.

Then one Sunday she wandered into my Steelers room at the beginning of a game with a bowl of popcorn and a Smirnoff ... she sat down and watched the game. And she didn't just watch ... she CHEERED. After years of trying unsuccessfully to get her to take an interest in the Steelers, Browns fans accomplished it for me.

During the next-to-final game of the 2008 regular season, we all witnessed Lendale White and the Terrible Towel incident. I took this opportunity to educate her about the Terrible Towel curse. She thought I was a lunatic. But after the Titans got knocked out in their first game and the Steelers went on to the Super Bowl, I thought she understood the power of the Terrible Towel.

Then on Super Bowl Sunday, she comes home from the store with ... Steelers POM POMS.
I explained to her that we don't have cheerleaders. WE are the cheerleaders. And we wave the Terrible Towel, not pom poms. She told me if I wanted to live to watch the game, I'd better hang them somewhere in our Steelers room. So as I was hanging the pom poms up next to my collection of Steelers hats, I looked at my teenage son and said, "I've got a bad feeling these pom poms are going to cost us the game!" He, too, thought I was a lunatic.

Flashforward to the end of the game ... the Cardinals are driving. I'm screaming for our defense to stop them. I knew what needed to be done ... I tossed the Terrible Towel to my wife and said, "WAVE IT!!"

And then it happened ...

She dropped the Towel on the ground, went over and grabbed the pom poms and started waving them. As God as my witness, the very next play Fitzgerald splits the Steelers D for the go-ahead touchdown.

I stood up, looked at my son, and yelled, "WHAT DID I TELL YOU? I KNEW THOSE D@MN POP POMS WERE GOING TO COST US THE GAME!!!" I walked over to her, drunk and angry, grabbed the pom poms and threw them in the trash. I knew the game was over, so I went outside to sulk alone for a few minutes. When I came back in, the Steelers were driving. My despair was turning to hope. I saw the Terrible Towel laying on the floor, picked it up, and told her to WAVE IT!! She did. And a few plays later, Ben connected with Holmes for the winning touchdown.

Going from utter despair to unbridled joy in a matter of minutes, and witnessing the true power of the Terrible Towel (whether real or imaginary), made for a memorable moment for me as a Steelers fan. To this day, my wife swears that she put the Towel on the chair and didn't throw it on the floor, but she did. And she also still insists that, even if she did throw the Towel on the floor when she jumped up to grab the pom poms, it's insane to think that her actions involving the Towel could have an impact on the game. But as die-hard Steelers fans, we all know the truth. Most memorable game 792589548

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 1:55 pm

ImperialFan wrote:
Superbowl 43 vs the cardinals.

Key moments
Harrisons 100 yard interception return for TD to end the first half (The Immaculate Interception)
Fitzgeralds reception and ensuing touchdown catch to put the cardinals up with approx 2 minutes left
Bens Houdini act dodging tackles and driving the ball down the field in the final couple minutes (the drive)
Santonio Holmes fade route catch and toe tip for game winning touchdown.

Watching the highlights on youtube still gives me chills!

Same here! Could be the most exciting SB in the history of the game with 2 of the most exciting single plays as well. That last drive by Ben, no f@#king way!!! For me it has to be an SB, that is the ultimate goal so in my opinion all games leading to that point (no matter how great) get put on the back burner!

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 5:25 pm

Steelers/Cardinals Super Bowl. I had friends over to watch the game (my good buddy was the only other Steelers fan in the room). Of course, we had to sit there and listen to heckling all game (namely from a guy wearing a Browns jersey).

During the final drive, we were both in prayer position with Terrible Towels in our hands. When Holmes scored the touchdown, I went from kneeling on the ground to leaping up in the air and my buddy catching me. The thrill from Holmes catching that was unlike anything I've ever experienced watching a football game.

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 6:04 pm

the one where we smashed the ravens and hines ward decked ed reed
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Two that span almost four decades.

The Immaculate Reception Game......I'm on my knees 2 feet from the TV screen screaming for Franco to stay inbounds as he tiptoes down the sideline into the endzone.

The 2008 season Raven playoff game....beating them for the third time.....sweet.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Other than the obvious main 2 people mentioned in the 09 Afc title game and super bowl xliii, these are my main ones:

2004 - the comebacks against Dallas and Jacksonville

2005 - the opener against the Titans was fun to watch. Then in week 5 against the chargers I thought the season was over after the helmet to knee hit.
Ben lighting it up in the 3 playoff games to get to XL.

2006 - a write off but thus season I went to my first 2 games. The first being the big season opener with Chuck under center. The second in Cleveland. This was memorable because the Steelers were down 21-3 going into the 4th and Ben led them back. But until the final touchdown all the Browns fans kept chirping and when that happened it went silent it was great lol

2007 - the big 5td game against the Ravens on MNF

2008 - start to finish what a ride.

2009 - the big 500 yard game

2010 - everything but the ending

2011 - beating the Patriots* was a highlight

2012 - took awhile to get going but the retool was under way

2013 - the finish of 6-2 was great

2014 - watching the 2nd 500 yard passing game with 6tds was great. What was better was going the following week to see Ben torch the Ravens with 6 more in person. Witnessing history is pretty cool.

2015 - still going so I'll revisit this after the season :)
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 8:24 am

FrancoLambert wrote:

The Immaculate Reception Game......I'm on my knees 2 feet from the TV screen screaming for Franco to stay inbounds as he tiptoes down the sideline into the endzone.

The 2008 season Raven playoff game....beating them for the third time.....sweet.

Both of those were great (the roar of the crowd after Troy's interception and Jim Nantz actually having the sense to shut up as Troy ran it back was great sports TV).  I was sitting with my Dad in the upstairs end zone seats away from the river as Franco came out from behind a scrum of players with the ball.  That was back in the day before Jumbotrons and we had no clue as to exactly what had happened - leaving Three Rivers we heard descriptions and I finally saw the replay on TV several hours later.

An often overlooked game that is a favorite of mine that set up the 70s run was beating the Raiders 24-13 at Oakland for the AFC championship.  At that time, the 70s Steelers were just a contender with a 2-2 record in playoff games, had been blown out by the Raiders in the playoffs the previous year, and were underdogs after the Raiders had beaten defending champs Miami the week before in what was generally regarded as the real Super Bowl.  Steelers were down 10-3 going into the 4th quarter but then outscored Oakland 21-3 in the 4th quarter on 2 Franco TDs and a great Swann TD catch after a Ham interception.  

Pittsburgh went nuts with its first trip to the Super Bowl - thousands showed up at the airport to welcome the team back that night  

Good story on that game here
Mean Joe vs. Double O
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/01/joe-greene-jim-otto-1974-afc-championship-game

Iconic photo of the Steel Curtain from that game

Most memorable game Steelers-line-960
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 8:42 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:

Both of those were great (the roar of the crowd after Troy's interception and Jim Nantz actually having the sense to shut up as Troy ran it back was great sports TV).  I was sitting with my Dad in the upstairs end zone seats away from the river as Franco came out from behind a scrum of players with the ball.  That was back in the day before Jumbotrons and we had no clue as to exactly what had happened - leaving Three Rivers we heard descriptions and I finally saw the replay on TV several hours later.

An often overlooked game that is a favorite of mine that set up the 70s run was beating the Raiders 24-13 at Oakland for the AFC championship.  At that time, the 70s Steelers were just a contender with a 2-2 record in playoff games, had been blown out by the Raiders in the playoffs the previous year, and were underdogs after the Raiders had beaten defending champs Miami the week before in what was generally regarded as the real Super Bowl.  Steelers were down 10-3 going into the 4th quarter but then outscored Oakland 21-3 in the 4th quarter on 2 Franco TDs and a great Swann TD catch after a Ham interception.  

Pittsburgh went nuts with its first trip to the Super Bowl - thousands showed up at the airport to welcome the team back that night  

Mean Joe vs. Double O

That game is right up there too....beating the hated Raiders on their own turf.   Most memorable game 184121345

On a more somber note...another memorable game that I try to erase from my memory (but can't) is the 76 championship game in Oakland with Franco and Rocky watching from the sidelines due to injuries.

To me that may have been the best team with regard to balance between the offense and defense.
That defense dominated...period.....and the offense was catching up.

No doubt in my mind, if they were able to play, we'd have ring #7 already.

Most memorable game 230572241   That IS an iconic photo.....it displays the intensity of that defense perfectly.
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 8:48 am

After being a diehard fan of the Steelers for over 40 years, there have been too many great, memorable games to list here.

If I had to pick one, it would be the Steelers/Cardinals super bowl. The drama of that game combined with the championship on the line, makes this my most memorable game and maybe the most memorable game in the history of football.

The 70's Steelers were so good, that many of their games, particularly their super bowls, were not close games. The Steelers first win over the Cowboys was a very good game.

The second game against the Cowboys was the most overrated game in history, because everyone talks about the Jackie Smith drop in the end zone. The Steelers dominated that game, and the win was never in doubt. The Cowboys came back with lots of garbage time scores, but this was not a great game. The Steelers easily won that game.

The most memorable playoff games were definitely the Immaculate Reception game, and the Ravens game with Troy returning the interception for the TD.

Reading through this thread should remind everyone how fortunate we all are to have been a fan of this great franchise.

Most memorable game 1557163439

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 2:44 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:

Mean Joe vs. Double O

Dan, you FrancoLambert and I must be close in age. I remember those games. If memory serves me the TD throw to Swann in the Oakland game was on a 3rd and long. If it's the play I'm thinking of I heard someone (I think it was Andy Russell) say that Noll asked Terry Hanratty what he'd do and Hanratty said he throw the bomb. My disclaimer is my memory.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 3:37 pm

solardave wrote:

Dan, you FrancoLambert and I must be close in age. I remember those games. If memory serves me the TD throw to Swann in the Oakland game was on a 3rd and long. If it's the play I'm thinking of I heard someone (I think it was Andy Russell) say that Noll asked Terry Hanratty what he'd do and Hanratty said he throw the bomb. My disclaimer is my memory.

Swann ran a slant to the back of the end zone on 3rd and goal from the 6 - one of his first games as a Steeler where I recall Swann showed his talent for elevating and then getting both feet down in bounds

Catch is at the 1:20 mark of the video of the game below (the Ham pick is around 1:16)

I generally had recalled Swann making a nice toe tapping catch from highlight videos but stumbled across this full broadcast in trying to find something to show the catch
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 5:37 pm

2007 Monday Night Football; 4 plus hours of edge of your seat Steelers action.  Game isn't decided until the end.  No flashy numbers

Best Game Ever

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/2007/11/27/69908-steelers-win-mud-bowl-3-0/

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 5:56 pm

I think the most memorable Steelers game was Super Bowl 43 just because of James' interception at the end of the first half, the way the Cardinals came back to take the lead, and then the Steelers final drive to win it, but the best Steelers Super Bowl victory was Super Bowl 13.

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 7:48 pm

harrison'samonster wrote:
2007 Monday Night Football; 4 plus hours of edge of your seat Steelers action.  Game isn't decided until the end.  No flashy numbers

Best Game Ever

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/2007/11/27/69908-steelers-win-mud-bowl-3-0/

The game where the ball embedded itself in the field like a lawn dart after a punt Most memorable game 1505004552

Like other all time greats having a career performance, that was where the Heinz Field turf took it to another level to establish itself as the worst NFL field of its generation Most memorable game 184121345
Back to top Go down
lotas

lotas

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 8:40 am

Wow, we sure have had some incredible moments and games.

I will give some love to a game I don't think has been mentioned yet:

The AFC Divisional Playoff game Pittsburgh vs. Indianapolis from January 2006.
Great game all around, but some of the highlights:

-Polamalu's beautiful interception of Manning that the refs overturned
-Jerome fumbling on the goal line with just over 1:00 left to play in regulation, up by 3
-Ben's amazing shoe string tackle of Harper to save the game
-Joey Porter sacking Manning twice in a row to end the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUcDGLHCOi4

That whole playoff run in '05-'06 was just incredible. I love this team.

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 9:36 am

That SB against Arizona was amazing. I remember feeling down but not worried after Fitz got the TD. My Dad's friend was like "Well that's it." My brother who with me had watched many Steeler dramatic victories that entire season was thinking the same as me "Not so fast." And then the drive for the ages which really should have gotten Ben a MVP for that SB. There's been a lot of great games that stand out but that one, that one stands out because of how great a game it was and that it gave us the most SBs of any franchise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most memorable game   Most memorable game Empty

Back to top Go down

Most memorable game
Page 1 of 1